The music of Erkki Melartin

Started by DennisS, Saturday 25 July 2009, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Recently I discovered the music of Erkki Melartin (1875-1937), finnish composer and conductor.
A contempory of Sibelius, Melartin as conductor of the Viborg Orchestra, Helsinki directed the orchestra in the first performanances of Mahler's music given in any of the Nordic countries.
Unsurprisingly Melartin's music at times bears the stamp of Mahler, whilst still retaining its own original voice.
Amongst his key works : 6 symphonies and a stunning VC (all on Ondine).
Broadly classified as a National Romantic , I find his music most appealing: lyrical, yearning, stirring and very expressive, often with the inclusion of finnish folk songs. His Scherzi in particular (Sym 1-4) are full of freshness and veuve.

My own favourite is Sym No 4 (historically his most popular) and contains a choral movement for soprano, mezzo and contralto (lovely). The scherzo in particular is superb, with its racy rhythmic motif, and its Trio theme having an odd Prokofiev aspect to it.

Of the 6 symphonies, my order of preference is 4,1,2,3,5 +6.

My most unreserved praise is however for his VC, which I find especially beautiful. The main theme (a big"tune"?) introduced in the first movement reappears in all 3 movements and is variously at times tender,yearning and very moving. It's the 2nd movement however which does it for me, the Andante is so lovely. The concerto comes to a most satisfactory conclusion with an uplifting, danse-like movement.

I think Melartin deserves to be better known. Do other members know his music?

Alan Howe

Yes, I have always liked the VC very much indeed - I discovered it before the symphonies which, I confess, I don't know, although I have them in my collection. The VC is a wonderful piece which should be much better known - a sort of cross between Sibelius and Delius, if that were possible. Now I must return to the symphonies...

mbhaub

I picked up the symphonies as theycame out and have found them inventive, colorful, even memorable if not great works. They never outstay their welcome. The music just flows naturally. The cd notes kept comparing him to Sibelius which I never quite figured out.  The opera Aino is very enjoyable, too.

John H White

Many thanks, gentlemen, for telling us about the music of Melarten. Mahler with a Finnish accent----sounds really interesting! :)

TerraEpon

I actually picked up the Ondine set after a recomendation from Amazon, of all things (though I'm sure I sampled them or listened to them fully before hand). Never regretted it.

Kevin Pearson

Because of this thread I purchased this set when it was posted. I don't know where my mind was on the first listening through but I am finding these symphonies extremely delightful and want to thank Dennis for brining them to our attention. Upon a closer listen I am beginning to apprecaite the genius that was Melartin and I would highly recommend the complete symphonies and the violin concerto to anyone who enjoys Mahler, Sibelius or Bruckner. The 4th symphony has to be one of the most haunting I have ever heard and sometimes I hear shades of Howard Hanson. If you like any of of the composers I have mentions then I think Melartin is a must have. I only wish we had more of his music!

Kevin

TerraEpon

Oddly enough, random.org decreed that disc 1 of the set was my current car listening. The first symphony is quite a unique sounding piece really, I dunno how to describe why I feel that, but again, quite worthwhile.

DennisS

Hello Kevin and TerraEpon

Glad you both find listening to Melartin's music so appealing. I come back to his music regularly but most of all, as I said previously, it's the VC that I really love most of all.

Pengelli

I have only ever heard the 6th.Bits of it reminded me of
Gliere.I was impressed.Exciting & dramatic music.

HerbieG

I got into Melartin in an unusual way.  When I was a kid, there was a TV programme in which you were taught how to draw (totally lost on me, alas).  The signature tune was a lovely little waltz, which stuck in my memory, though I never was able to discover what on earth it was.

Years later, I bought an LP in a sale; it was called 'Finnish Miniatures for String Quartet', or something like that.  When I played it, to my utter delight, one of the pieces was that very theme that had haunted me for so long.  It was Melartin's 'Butterfly Waltz'.  I looked up Melartin in Grove and saw that he had written loads of other works, including six symphonies.  More years passed and I then saw a CD of a couple of the symphonies and bought it.  I was expecting half an hour of symphonic Butterfly-Waltz-like themes - simple, diatonic and charming.  Boy, I didn't know what had hit me; massive Mahlerian gestures, opulently orchestrated and absolutly compelling.  I bought the other two CDs of the sumphoonies and also managed to get the Violin Concerto from the radio.  Magnificent stuff.

DennisS

Hello HerbieG

Glad to find another member who rates Melartin as highly as I do. Do you have a particular favourite symphony? As is clear from the above, my own preference is sym no 4 (also historically his most popular). Equally, I am particularly fond of the VC, which, as I have already said, is a very beautiful work, especially with its main theme, so lyrical, which recurs throughout the three movements.

cheers
Dennis

HerbieG

Hi Dennis,

It's some time since I listened to the Melartin symphonies and I can't remember a particular favourite.  This discussion has prompted me to dig out the CDs and listen again - which is just what I shall do now!

Kevin Pearson

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows of a source for Melartin's String Quartets? I'd really like to hear them.

Kevin

eschiss1

I know only of a radio tape of two of them, I think- I heard the first of them from that tape at a New York City library. I was disappointed (I'm told the last quartet is better though- and anyhow I might think better of it on a rehearing. The first two are, I seem to recall, early works- around the time of the first two symphonies? A commercial recording of his chamber works would be welcome even though I think some have already been recorded, some not; there's besides the string quartet some sonatas -a very early violin sonata, a sonata for flute and harp- also a late manuscript string trio from 1927 or so...

Taneyev

I've Melartin's SQ 1,2 and 3 by the Meta4 SQ, and 4 by Melartin SQ. But don't know label because they were copies I traded with a friend, and he didn't inform it.