The music of Erkki Melartin

Started by DennisS, Saturday 25 July 2009, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

QuoteGlad to find another member who rates Melartin as highly as I do.

Count me in, too! I first discovered Melartin about 20 years ago through a friend who was raving about him, and have loved his music ever since. Interesting, that you consider Symphonies 5 & 6 your least preferred -- #5 is one of my very favorite symphonies of all time, and #6 is also among my top picks. Personally, I find the early symphonies less interesting. Each to his/her own!

By the way, I have some works by Melartin from Finnish Radio broadcasts that have never been recorded commercially -- I'll upload them to the forum as soon as I get a chance.

eschiss1

I think that recording of the string quartets has been mentioned in these forums before, not sure. And now that I check, the string trio has been recorded too. I forgot. (A recording, several CDs, called "Live from the Kuhmo Festival".)

chill319

A recording of Melartin's string quartets was published on two CDs by a Finnish record store -- perhaps Fuga. I had good luck finding the order form a few months back; today I can't find it come h or h w. Meantime, the two CDs are being "disseminated" here:

http://www.cylist.com/List/404350288/melartin-string-quartets-cd1.html

and here:

http://www.cylist.com/List/404238532/melartin-string-quartets-cd2.html

britishcomposer

Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 03 September 2011, 01:31
A recording of Melartin's string quartets was published on two CDs by a Finnish record store -- perhaps Fuga. I had good luck finding the order form a few months back; today I can't find it come h or h w. Meantime, the two CDs are being "disseminated" here:

and here:

chill319, can you help me: I don't quite understand these links: are they downloads or is this a store from which I can buy the cds?

I heard the sonata for flute and harp lately on Ylen Klassinen. Though written in the 1920s it was quite uncharacteristic of him, almost like some early romantic piece.

TerraEpon

The links seem to be a database of info, nothing more.

Kevin Pearson

Quote from: chill319 on Saturday 03 September 2011, 01:31

and here:

These are the CDs I am looking for but it does not list a label or even the ensemble. I'd love to get these if they are available anywhere in the world.

Kevin

chill319

The four Melartin quartets were recorded in 2003 and released that year in a 2-CD set by Virtuosi /Pro Kuhmo (PK-0301).

Kuhmo, Finland has a chamber music festival in the summer, and this release might have been connected with performances there (the recordings were made in Kuhmo church).

The Kuhmo music society comprises about 300 members, and one wonders if the CDs were essentially manufactured in a small run essentially for members and attendees at the festival.

A few months back I saw the set for sale, but unfortunately the PC on which that page was viewed succumbed to a Trojan and the browsing history is no longer available.

Below is the best information I have been able to find on this recording. It's from Viola.

Author: Melartin, Erkki, comp.
The book: [quartets, strings, No. 1, op36, No. 1 in E minor]
Title: String Quartet no. 1 in E minor, Op. 36 / 1 [recordings].
Composer Year: d1896
Published: p2003.
Duration (ttmmss): 002 323
Presenters: Meta4 Quartet. Members: Pensola, Minna (violin). Tikkanen, Antti (violin). Nylund, Eriikka (viola). Djupsjöbacka, Tomas (cello).
Contents: Parts: 1 Allegro (7'25); 2 Menuetto scherzando (3'05); 3 Andante (7'39); 4 Finale (Presto) (5'14).
Event Time and place: r2003, Kuhmo Church.
Materials: included in the phonogram
ISRC: FIPK30300001
FIPK30300002
FIPK30300003
FIPK30300004
Keywords: quartets - string instruments - Finland - 1890's (music)
Other classifications: 78.5132 (KAB)
Other (s) of author (s): Meta4, tells you.

In: the String Quartets. - Pro Kuhmo PK0301. -2CD-Audio disc [recordings]. - Disc 1, tracks 1-4

The book: [quartets, strings, No. 2, op36, No. 2, G minor]
Title: String Quartet no. 2 in G minor, Op. 36 / 2 [recordings].
Composer Year: d1900
Duration (ttmmss): 003 109
Presenters: Melartin Quartet. Members: Smith, Blue (violin). Tammisola, Seila (violin). Tit, Anni (viola). Lehto, Thomas (cello).
Contents: Parts: 1 Allegro (9'33); 2 Adagio (7'02); 3 Intermezzo (Allegro robustamente) (6'54); 4 Recitativo (Andante) - Final (Allegro risoluto) (7'40).
ISRC: FIPK30300011
FIPK30300012
FIPK30300013
FIPK30300014
Keywords: quartets - string instruments - Finland - 1900-1909 (music)
Other (s) of author (s): Melartin Quartet, tells you.

In: the String Quartets. - Pro Kuhmo PK0301. -2CD-Audio disc [recordings]. -, Disc 2, tracks 1-4

Tekijä:    Melartin, Erkki, säv.
Teos:    [Kvartetot, jouset, nro 3, op36, nro 3, Es-duuri]
Nimeke:    String quartet no. 3 in E flat op. 36/3 [Äänite].
Sävellysvuosi:    d1902
Julkaistu:    p2003.
Kesto (ttmmss):    002423
Esittäjät:    Meta4-kvartetti. Jäsenet: Pensola, Minna (viulu). Tikkanen, Antti (viulu). Nylund, Eriikka (alttoviulu). Djupsjöbacka, Tomas (sello).
Sisältö:    Osat: 1. Allegro moderato (5'06) ; 2. Presto - Fuuga - Presto (4'01) ; 3. Andante - Allegretto - Andante (2'24) ; 4. Intermezzo (3'03) ; 5. Adagio - Andantino - Adagio (3'34) ; 6. Scherzo - Trio (6'15).
Tapahtuman aika ja paikka:    r2003, Kuhmon kirkko.
Aineisto:    sisältyy äänitteeseen
ISRC:    FIPK30300005
   FIPK30300006
   FIPK30300007
   FIPK30300008
   FIPK30300009
   FIPK30300010
Asiasanat:    kvartetot --jousisoittimet --Suomi --1900-1909 (musa)
Muita luokituksia:    78.5132 (ykl)
Muu(t) tekijä(t):    Meta4, esitt.

Julkaisussa:    String quartets. - Pro Kuhmo PK0301. -2CD-äänilevyä [Äänite]. - , levy 1, raidat 5-10

The book: [quartets, strings, No. 4, op62, F major]
Title: String Quartet no. 4 in E op.62 / 1 [!] [Recordings].
Composer Year: d1910
Duration (ttmmss): 002 526
Presenters: Melartin Quartet. Members: Smith, Blue (violin). Tammisola, Seila (violin). Tit, Anni (viola). Lehto, Thomas (cello).
Contents: Parts: 1 Moderato (8'08); 2 Scherzo - Allegro vivace (6'04); 3 Andante (6'27); 4 Andante - Allegro (4'47).
ISRC: FIPK30300015
FIPK30300016
FIPK30300017
FIPK30300018
Keywords: quartets - string instruments - Finland - 1910 (music)
Other (s) of author (s): Melartin Quartet, tells you.

In: the String Quartets. - Pro Kuhmo PK0301. -2CD-Audio disc [recordings]. -, Disc 2, tracks 5-8

FBerwald

His Violin Concerto and Sleeping Beauty Suite are exquisite.....

eschiss1

I've only heard the violin concerto once, was disappointed by the first string quartet the one time I heard it, but adore the symphonies especially from no.3 on (but the first two stick happily and imaginatively and positively in the mind too.) Remarkable "find" (and taught by another of my favorites ;) )

DennisS

Hi all

I am gratified to read all the posts on this thread regarding the music of Erkki Melartin. As you can see from the opening post, I started this thread and have a very high regard for this composer. His symphonies are wonderful and I naturally share FBerwald's opinion of the VC - it is most definitely "exquisitive" and remains one of my favourite VCs! I am not however, I am a little ashamed to say, familiar with his string quartets and I thank the members of this forum for drawing my attention to these works.

cheers
Dennis.

Latvian

QuoteBy the way, I have some works by Melartin from Finnish Radio broadcasts that have never been recorded commercially -- I'll upload them to the forum as soon as I get a chance.

Uploads complete. See the Finnish Music folder in the Downloads section.

Amphissa

I've added a string trio by Melartin to the Finnish Music collection.

eschiss1

ah. there's recordings of the Melartin string trio (that I know of- there might be more than one trio) on Ondine by, I think, the Trio Echnaton (Wolfram Brandl , Sebastian Krunnies and Frank-Michael Guthmann- I think because the listing I have gives lots of works and lots of performers, but this seems the only string trio in the mix...) and a noncommercial Finnish radio reel-to-reel with Jorma Rahkonen, violin ; Mauro Pietikainen, viola and Veikko Hoyla, violoncello (Melartin opp.133 and 67/1). However, haven't heard any recording of it at all- thanks! The manuscript has been sort of uploaded (not by me, of course) to IMSLP but because of the 1930 date may not be accessible in the US...

britishcomposer

I posted this at Sidney's site, too, but maybe some member from UC is interested and can offer help?

Some time ago I recorded a short piece by Erkki Melartin from a Finnish radio station. It was called "Pohjolan Häät". While Pohjola means something like "Northland", häät means "wedding." The announcer also told us that this was an overture (alkusoitto).

I found two links relating to that piece:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/hjp/Melartin/EMop179.pdf

This states that "Pohjolan häät" was written in 1902 and belongs to the category of incidental music.
I tried to make an automatic translation but I couldn't understand much. The author assumes that the high opus number is either a mistake or the old and sick composer wanted to give the impression that he was still active by giving a high opus number to an early work.

But the Finnish Music Information Center has these two entries:
http://www.fimic.fi/fimic/nuotisto.nsf/0/7A175A9DB0F6E898C225687E002ADA19?opendocument
(This means the incidental music written in 1902)

http://www.fimic.fi/fimic/nuotisto.nsf/0/EE302B00562AA098C225687E002ADDA7?opendocument
(This means an orchestral overture which was written in 1929)

I am not sure if the two works are related. Is it possible, that Melartin reworked earlier material in 1929 and gave it the opus number 179? Or did he simply extract the overture from the early incidental music and presented it as an autonomous work?
Perhaps we have some Finnish speaking members here?  :)

Mathias