Belgian music

Started by lechner1110, Friday 15 July 2011, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Mark - Re Tinel- I've only heard the 1st movement of Polyeucte (the only one broadcast over BBC); there are three (IMSLP also unfortunately only has the first, too, and as one sees, the proper title is 3 Symphonic Tableaux after (Corneille's) Polyeucte, Op.21).

Overture; Paulinen's Traumgesicht (or Songe de Pauline); Feier im Tempel Jupiters (Fête dans le temple de Jupiter) (pub. 1891, 1892, 1892).
Do you indeed have all three? Neat...
(The library SLUB Dresden has all three in score, I think.)

Mark Thomas

No, Eric, confusion on my part. What I have (on a Cypres CD: CYP 1605, coupled with De Boeck's Symphony) is only the Overture to Polyeucte. I had quite forgotten until I re-read the insert notes just now, that the Overture is the first of three numbers, the last of which is The Feast. Still, two (now) out of three isn't bad.

lechner1110

Hello Mark

I listened Rasse's Symphonie Romantique today.
  This is wonderful work which I was expected!
  Thanks a lot :D

Best   A.S

eschiss1

Ooh, Legley- should have noticed. I've listened to one of the two or three LP recordings of that Legley concerto at the university library (erm, to be clearer, there have been a few recordings, they have one of them :) ). Good piece (likewise at least some of the other works of his I've heard, like his 4th symphony, viola sonata, one of his string quartets, etc. Not too too much on CD and I'm not sure I've heard much of that- a wind symphony, other works. Anyhow, thanks!

eschiss1

Hrm, and a relatively recent CD has violin works by Legley (well, given that he died a couple of decades ago, recent-ish works) including a solo sonata op.123 and - hrm- does this mean 3 - well- "Drie Meisjes sonate for violin & piano" opus 122 (1993, year before he died in '94) (not his first violin sonatas- his sonata opus 12 is also on the recording - anyway. I should see about hearing that disc. Belgian radio Klara Continuo, which webstreams, may play part of something from there sometime...)

britishcomposer

Thanks for the Waelput, Jerry! Perhaps you will find more about him when you spell his christian name 'HendriK'  ;)
His Flute Concerto has been recorded and sent a few times. Quite a substantial piece at 32 minutes!

jimmosk

Quote from: britishcomposer on Friday 14 October 2011, 22:22
Thanks for the Waelput, Jerry! Perhaps you will find more about him when you spell his christian name 'HendriK'  ;)

For instance, http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrik_Waelput

semloh

The Waelput is very enjoyable - a fine work.
Thanks, Jerry! :)

eschiss1

Is the symphony in the file the 1872 symphony in D minor?

eschiss1

Also, re Jour de fête (Vreuls), I gather it was composed in 1907, can try to find out more about it perhaps... score apparently still published.

lechner1110

Hello Jerry,

I listened Victor Vreuls's symphonic poem today.
  I feel influence of D'indy and Franck's music from this symphonic poem.
  I didn't know this composers name ever, but this is very good work.

Thanks

Atsushi

eschiss1

According to Baker's (1919 3rd edition) he was a d'Indy student...

lechner1110

Hello mikehopf,  Thanks to upload rare Belgium composers Violin concerto!

I assume this composer Hanssens is maybe ' Charles-Louis Hanssens ( 1802-1871 ) '
  http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Louis_Hanssens

Anyway, much appreciate :D

semloh

For information on Charles Louis HANSSENS [jeune] (b. Gent, 12/07/1802 - d. Brussels, 08/04/1871) see:

http://www.svm.be/content/hanssens-charles-louis-jeune?display=biography&language=en

Not to be confused with his father, Charles Louis Joseph HANSSENS [b. Gent, 04/05/1777 - d. Brussels, 06/04/1852]

Both were composers and violinists, but I assume this concerto is by 'junior'!  :)

Richard Moss

'Mikehopf'

Having now downloaded the Hanssens works and transferred to CD, an initial listen to check they had transferred OK indicated the speech intro at the start of the violin concerto (and also another work) was at a speeded up rate.

Was this just the speech or is the music speeded up also.  Has anyone else encountered this? 

Also, the Hanssens VC was in several tracks just numbered 2 to 5.  Do these correspond to movements.  Any idea on their tempi?

Normally I do not have a 'speed' problem when downloading and CD transfers  from UC. 

I appreciate this was your first upload/download so any help/clarification you can give to get this sorted much appreciated.

Thanks

Richard