Belgian music

Started by lechner1110, Friday 15 July 2011, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mikehopf

Richard, I'll redo the Hanssens VC in the next few days.

Richard Moss

Mike,

Tks for re-uploading.  I now have 4 clean tracks (presumably the work is in 4 mvts?)  As you say, hopefully someone 'in the know' can provide further details on that.

Many thanks

Richard

eschiss1

I think- I'm not sure- that a work- perhaps the violin concerto -of Hanssens (maybe his concertino instead, maybe both) - has been republished by Höflich recently - but the preface is not online, so any information about movements must be obtained by someone with access to the score- but at least the republication (of whichever work) makes the score more accessible in principle than if it were still in its first edition (or in ms.)

lechner1110

Latvian, Many many thanks for Leon Jongen's music :)
  I'm downloading now...Looking forward to listen :D

JimL

Quote from: Richard Moss on Wednesday 16 November 2011, 13:33
Mike,

Tks for re-uploading.  I now have 4 clean tracks (presumably the work is in 4 mvts?)  As you say, hopefully someone 'in the know' can provide further details on that.

Many thanks

Richard
No the work is in 3 movements run together, but they're divided up rather oddly on the download.  The slow movement reprise begins the 3rd track, followed by the beginning of the finale.  Then the 4th track starts with the final couple of minutes of the finale followed by what seems to be 4 minutes fifteen seconds of total silence.

eschiss1

Sorry, posted that in the French downloads discussion section, I think it may belong here...

Re Rasse, Naxos isn't offering the concerto on CD, but they are offering the Decca (Hosselet/Defossez) recording on their site in some areas (not others) for streaming and download to people who subscribe to the Naxos Music Library (see here.) They may remaster it on CD in future, I suppose- don't know.
(From which one sees that the movements are
I. Recitativo - Allegro moderato
II. Andante
III. Finale: Allegro giocoso ).
Jongen's piano concerto op.127 is also available in some regions on the same page.

JollyRoger

I'm a bit surprised that there are no works by Marcel Poot (1901-1988) posted in Belgian music. I am especially interested in the 7 symphonies he composed.

eschiss1

X. Trapnel

All of the Poot symphonies were once available on Marco Polo, neo-classicism with iron shavings. I found them rather grating.

Dundonnell

Atsushi,

Again...many thanks for the Meulemans 13th and last symphony. I know the composer's 2nd, 3rd and 7th symphonies from Marco Polo cds but did not appreciate that he had actually gone on to write so many symphonies ;D

lechner1110

Yes, I know his early symphonies by Marco polo.  These are very beautiful symphonies, in my view.
   I hope his all symphonies will become available. ::)

eschiss1

It looks like it may be a privately-produced label of the violinist's, I'm not sure, but according to this put together with some other sources for comprehensions' sake, it seems the Hanssens violin concerto recording was released on CD by Paul Klinck Productions (that is, again, the violinist's own CD label) at some point?

RISM also lists a flute concerto and cello concertino (a minor; 1836/1855; short score and orchestral parts at Brussels library), and quite a few other works, at least in score or parts at various libraries (apparently complete in most cases, though whether legible it doesn't say...), among other works by (possibly the same- maybe his uncle?) Hanssens... (dictionary entries mention several other concertos etc. written. If there exist recordings of some kind of the one complete string quartet he left in manuscript (in C (minor?), 1830s? ,- several fragments of others) that is in the Brussels library, incipits at RISM, I'm very interested- but should ask in the Requests forum, true... or just to be pointed to them if they exist commercially, of course :) )
Apparently a book on Hanssens was written by Louis Bärwolf (a friend?) and published by Larcier in Brussels in 1894 (Charles-Louis Hanssens. Sa vie et ses oeuvres); it is RISM's source for some of their background information on various works (e.g. the concertino.)

Latvian

QuoteAgain...many thanks for the Meulemans 13th and last symphony.

Actually, he wrote a total of 15 symphonies...

Dundonnell

Quote from: Latvian on Friday 06 January 2012, 01:39
QuoteAgain...many thanks for the Meulemans 13th and last symphony.

Actually, he wrote a total of 15 symphonies...

So he did ;D

Michael Herman's Discography needs updating ;D

Mykulh

Thanks guys for pointing this out to me. The correction has already been made and will appear online as soon as updates can be uploaded at MWI headquarters. It's great having all those eyes out there!

Michael