Belgian music

Started by lechner1110, Friday 15 July 2011, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

There are now two separate Belgian Music Downloads threads-one started by jowcol yesterday and the other by Atsushi last July.

Perhaps they can be merged ???

Dundonnell

PETER CABUS
(1923-2000) BELGIUM

Born in Mechelen. Encouraged initially by Godfried Devreese, he continued his musical education at the Lemmens Institute where his teachers were Flor Peeters and Marinus De Jong for organ and piano. He then went on to the Royal Conservatory in Brussels to study composition and fugue with Jean Absil and Léon Jongen). He held several teaching posts and eventually succeeded his first teacher Devreese as director of the conservatory in Mechelen. Cabus was an extremely prolific composer in practically all genres with many of his more than 200 works composed for educational purposes. Orchestral works comprise a substantial part of his output including many Concertos for various instruments and Symphonies. In the latter category are the following unrecorded works: Symphony No. 1 (1946), No. 2 (1957), No. 3 (1961), No. 5 (1987), No. 6 "Sinfonia Breve" (1993), Sinfonia for Chamber Orchestra (1964), Sinfonia Concertante for Harpsichord, Piano and String Orchestra (1973) and Sinfonietta (1951).

(From Michael Herman's Benelux Discography on Musicweb)

Mark Thomas

Oops, didn't spot the duplication. The two Belgian topics have now been merged successfully - maybe the country itself could follow suit?

Christo

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 08 February 2012, 07:44
maybe the country itself could follow suit?

It did so, succesfully, in 1831, when it became a French speaking nation. Second thoughts came later.  ::)

jowcol

Thanks for the merge.  I think I searched "Belgium" instead of Belgian-- or maybe I lost track in my recent flurry of posts, but I like the organizational structure here, and am glad someone spotted the duplication.

(You will note that in the "genre" tag for mp3s I am uploading, I'm using a classifcation by the folder here and the century -- e.g. "Belgian 20th Century") .

Trying very hard not to quote the Monty Python sketch where they had a Prejudice game show, and a contest to come up with derogatory terms for Belgians....

Ilja

Quote from: Christo on Wednesday 08 February 2012, 08:26
Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 08 February 2012, 07:44
maybe the country itself could follow suit?

It did so, succesfully, in 1831, when it became a French speaking nation. Second thoughts came later.  ::)

Strictly speaking, of course, it unmerged with the Netherlands in 1830/1831, then became a unified nation of sorts until the Flemish started protesting more and more from the 1870s onwards.

Latvian

Cabus' Symphony No. 2 is not downloading for me, I keep getting an error message. No problems with any other Mediafire downloads this morning, so it must be the Cabus...

jowcol

I'll test it this evening.   I've noticed a few times recently  mediafire has been getting  finicky.  One time, there may have been an extra space after the name, which shouldn't be a problem but..

jowcol

Try Cabus 2nd again.  I re-uploaded it, and it seems to be behaving.

Latvian

Thanks, jowcol!

It still refused to work for me when I clicked on the link (on a different machine and a different ISP than this morning). But, when I copied and pasted the link into the URL instead, all was well. Go figure!

jowcol

Quote from: Latvian on Thursday 09 February 2012, 02:39
Thanks, jowcol!

It still refused to work for me when I clicked on the link (on a different machine and a different ISP than this morning). But, when I copied and pasted the link into the URL instead, all was well. Go figure!

I've updated the posting to suggest that.  Maybe some weird control character thing when I tried to embed the link.  Or perhaps my heart is not pure....

Jacky

I am trying to download Jean Absyl romanian rhapsody but the link is dead.Can this be fixed?

JimL

Quote from: jowcol on Thursday 09 February 2012, 03:58
Quote from: Latvian on Thursday 09 February 2012, 02:39
Thanks, jowcol!

I've updated the posting to suggest that.  Maybe some weird control character thing when I tried to embed the link.  Or perhaps my heart is not pure....
Use the Force, Jowcol!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jacky on Saturday 18 February 2012, 21:15
I am trying to download Jean Absyl romanian rhapsody but the link is dead.Can this be fixed?

I have uploaded it for you from my downloaded collection :)

Jacky