Belgian music

Started by lechner1110, Friday 15 July 2011, 10:57

Previous topic - Next topic

jowcol

I've posted a Violin Concerto by Victor Legley in the downloads section, but I'm not sure which one-- I have some notes in that post.

Bio:
Vic Legley (18 June 1915 in Hazebrouck  – 28 November 1994 in Ostend) was a Belgian violist and composer of classical music, of French birth. He first studied in Ypres with Lionel Bromme. In 1935 he matriculated at the Royal Conservatory in Brussels, and there won awards in the study of viola, fugue, counterpoint and chamber music.

In 1941, Legley began studying with Jean Absil, and in 1943 he received the second Belgian Prix de Rome. After World War II he played in the Brussels Opera Orchestra and also in the Déclin Quartet, where he encountered the music of Béla Bartók and of Arnold Schoenberg. At about this time (in 1942) he wrote his first symphony, first of a series of eight (the last of which was written in 1993 and premiered in 1994), and also his first string quartet (first of five, 1941–63, 1990) (Randel, Don Michael (1996).) [1]
He was chairman of SABAM (the authors' rights association) from 1980 to 1992,[2] and from 1986 to 1990 president of the Union of Belgian Composers.[3]

His last years saw a turn towards wind-band music; his Symphony No. 7 is scored for this ensemble. His output also includes 3 violin concertos[4], a viola concerto, and a piano concerto, among others.

eschiss1

I rather like what of Legley's music I've heard (unsurprising I guess, I once maintained a webpage discography of sorts).  There were a couple of LPs of the 2nd violin concerto including one of the Defossez recording ([http://www.worldcat.org/title/concerto-pour-violon-et-orchestre/oclc/4311829]this[/url])- if someone has access to the LP (I should see if the library here does...) its notes may have more information on the dates of the performance. Several of his works seemed to me quite appealingly lyrical and spiky in pleasant combination ;) (including his viola sonata if memory serves.)

Mark Thomas

What an enjoyable piece the Théo Ysaÿe Piano Concerto is! Thanks very much, Ilja. I'm not really an enthusiast of all that dark brown Franckian music which the old fellow inspired in so many fin de siècle Francophone composers, but Ysaÿe seems to manage a deftness of touch both in the orchestral colour and the melodic material which lightens the usual gloom whilst still sharing Cèsar Franck's influence. I'd never heard of brother Théo, but I see that his catalogue (described as "relatively vast" by the author of his Wikipedia entry - relative to what?) includes one completed symphony and much orchestral and chamber music. Someone worth investigating on the showing of this attractive work I'd say.

lechner1110

Many thanks for uploading of musics by Marcel Quinet , allison :D
  I know his father Fernand Quinet's musics by Cypres CD, but I met Marcel's music first time!
  There are good early modern French- Belgium atmosphere in his music.  Thank you!

caostotale

;D ;D ;D

Thanks so much for the Marcel Quinet, Allison! I've studied some of his concerto scores, but never got the chance to actually hear his work performed. This is fantastic.

JimL

Downloaded the Ysaÿe PC today.  Got the movements from IMSLP.  It's a 4 movement work with a lot of tempo changes within the movements.  I'll have to give it a listen and split it later, but the fragment I heard sounded tantalizing.

Sydney Grew

Yes, thank you Allison for all the Quinet - much appreciated.

Ilja

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Thursday 22 March 2012, 12:01
What an enjoyable piece the Théo Ysaÿe Piano Concerto is! Thanks very much, Ilja. I'm not really an enthusiast of all that dark brown Franckian music which the old fellow inspired in so many fin de siècle Francophone composers, but Ysaÿe seems to manage a deftness of touch both in the orchestral colour and the melodic material which lightens the usual gloom whilst still sharing Cèsar Franck's influence. I'd never heard of brother Théo, but I see that his catalogue (described as "relatively vast" by the author of his Wikipedia entry - relative to what?) includes one completed symphony and much orchestral and chamber music. Someone worth investigating on the showing of this attractive work I'd say.

Thanks Mark, it was something of a discovery for me too. There is a Ysaÿe symphony listed among the works recorded by Daniel Sternefeld with the Flemish Radio Symphony in the 1960s, but it doesn't say which of the brothers wrote it, nor does it give further specifics. Next time I'm in the Flemish radio archives, I'll have a look.

mjkFendrich

Dear Arbuckle,

could you perhaps repost the items by Ysaye and Absil?

Quote from: Arbuckle on Thursday 06 October 2011, 04:24
http://www.mediafire.com/?0vkdrrj025rjf

From LP Cultura 5069-10:

Vic Legley (1915-1994)
  Concerto No. 2 for Violin and Orchestra
    Andre Gertler, Violin, Nationaal Orkest van Belgie, Francois Huybrechts
Eugene Ysaye (1858-1931)
  Extase
Jean Absil (1893-1974)
  Roemeense Rapsodie

From 10" LP London International W 91063

Francois Rasse (1873-1955)
  Concerto en ut (c) majeur pour violon et orchestre
    Robert Hosselet, Violon, L'Orchestre National de Belgique, Rene Defossez

From LP Cultura 5074-1

Edgar Tinel (1854-1912)
  Feest in de Tempel van Jupiter, Op. 21 Nr. 3 (1881)
    "De Philharmonie" von Antwerpen, Daniel Sternefeld

From LP Cultura 5070-V 1

Willem Kersters (1929-1998)
  Symfonie Nr. 3, Op. 39
    National Orkest van Belgie, Daniel Sternefeld

Greg K

I believe Arbuckle has left the forum and all his previous uploads are inactive.

Perhaps someone else can restore these.

Dundonnell

I have uploaded the two violin pieces for you as requested from my own downloaded collection :)

lechner1110

Elroel,  Thank you very much for your uploads of many rare Belgium LP recordings. (Of course, other countries LPs too!)
To my regrettable,  I don't have have time to listen them in weekdays, but I will enjoy them in my holidays. Much appreciate! :D

semloh

Quote from: Greg K on Saturday 14 April 2012, 21:35
I believe Arbuckle has left the forum ................

I'm sorry to hear that - what a pity!  :(

Dundonnell

Elroel- your last Belgian upload (the Decadt piece) has no link attached :(

Dundonnell

Elroel...the de Vocht Violin Concerto is missing the second file required to download properly.