Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

hrm. it's his opus 4, was broadcast in 1997 with Alexander Titov conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra, Cadensa has "Recording Date 1997?" - it could be an earlier recording that they're misidentifying - will keep looking though. Perhaps it's the same recording rebroadcast and misfiled :)...
(composed 1943; premiered April 3 1944, Berlin Staatskapelle, conducted by Karajan; scoring 3 flutes (3rd doubles piccolo), 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, timpani, strings; (http://www.boosey.com/pages/cr/catalogue/cat_detail.asp?musicid=5876 and http://www.einem.org/en/komp_wv.htm). Hrm. Wonder about the 1978 broadcast though, will see what I can find out...

Dundonnell

Definitely 1978. The BBC announcer refers to the fact that von Einem "will be 60 this year" and the composer was born in 1918.

It could be an Austrian radio broadcast being aired by the BBC?

eschiss1

yep. hrm- out of curiosity, do you hear any instruments not accounted for in that list (like a harp) :)

Holger

I also have a recording of von Einem's Concerto for Orchestra Op. 4, played by the WDR Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Othmar Mága. I will download Dundonnell's new version and compare it, since of course there is a chance it could be just that one.

Holger

I have now done what I announced, but unfortunately, the result it that Dundonnell's recording seems to be a different one, which means the performers are still left to be identified.

eschiss1

Thanks- unfortunately the Kaufmann website doesn't list the movements if any of the 2nd symphony (doesn't even list those dates of composition, just gives 0000) but looking forward to hearing those works.

eschiss1

Also, Hartmut Krones (at the American Symphony Orch. site) discusses Rubin's symphony 4 here (since they also have performed it, as you said.) Hopefully interesting to others too so am providing the link.

eschiss1

Movement listing for Johann David's 5th symphony (also from Handbuch der internationalen Konzertliteratur  @ GoogleBooks preview ) -
op.41 -
I. Adagio  (??? sounds like Allegro - anyone have a score?)
II. Adagio
III. Scherzo
IV. Alla breve

(the first definitely seems a typo)

Dundonnell

I am uploading three works by Franz Schmidt in recordings from Austrian Radio made at the time of the Schmidt centenary celebrations in 1974:

Symphony No.2
Piano Concerto
Variations on a Hussar's Song

The Piano Concerto is played by Friedrich Wuhrer who had a close personal connection with Schmidt and performed in many of his chamber and instrumental compositions.

lechner1110

Hi Colin,
  Thanks for Franz Schmidt.  His Symphony no.2 is one of my favorite symphony :)
  I went concert of Christian Arming and New Japan Philharmonic performed this symphony last Saturday.
  It was wonderful experience for me! 

Dundonnell

The Franz Schmidt Symphony No.3 I have just uploaded is not played by the greatest orchestra in the world(the BBC Welsh Symphony Orchestra)  but it is conducted by Milan Horvat who made quite a speciality of Schmidt's music ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: A.S on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 08:57

Hi Colin,
  Thanks for Franz Schmidt.  His Symphony no.2 is one of my favorite symphony :)
  I went concert of Christian Arming and New Japan Philharmonic performed this symphony last Saturday.
  It was wonderful experience for me!

Happy to oblige, Atsushi :)

Holger

Colin, the soloist in Helmut Eder's Concerto for Bassoon and Chamber Orchestra Op. 49 (1968) is Milan Turković.

Dundonnell

Thanks for that info' Holger :)  I have added his name to the post.

eschiss1

Is the Trhlik Rubin 5 a radio broadcast also, or a little-known recording? Worldcat seems offhand to list only an Amadeo LP (by Sawallisch?)
Eric