Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

I have just uploaded a WDR broadcast of Heinrich von Herzogenberg's choral-orchestral work 'Die Weihe der Nacht'.
The German Herzogenberg website mentions this broadcast but it doesn't give any information if the work has been released on CD.
So I hope you may enjoy it!  :)

semloh

Atsushi - any idea of the date of the Andergassen 4th symphony?  :)

Holger

As for Andergassen's Fourth: it's his Symphony No. 4 in F Minor, Op. 73, and it was composed in 1945.

lechner1110

semloh

Mark Thomas

I've just added the broadcast of last Friday's premiere performance of Brian Newbould's new completion of Schubert's Symphony in D D708a, which would have fallen between what we now number his Sixth and his Seventh. A 17 minute set of fragments orchestrated by Newbould was issued a few years ago by Hyperion, but this is a realisation of the full work, roughly half of which has been composed by Newbould as it has expanded now to 35 minutes duration.

kolaboy

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 31 March 2012, 17:03
I've just added the broadcast of last Friday's premiere performance of Brian Newbould's newly completion of Schubert's Symphony in D D708a, which would have fallen between what we now number his Sixth and his Seventh. A 17 minute set of fragments orchestrated by Newbould was issued a few years ago by Hyperion, but this is a realisation of the full work, roughly half of which has been composed by Newbould as it has expanded now to 35 minutes duration.

Many thanks, Mark Thomas :)

TerraEpon

I love that Hyperion disc and look forward to this new version.

Holger

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 31 March 2012, 17:03
I've just added the broadcast of last Friday's premiere performance of Brian Newbould's new completion of Schubert's Symphony in D D708a, which would have fallen between what we now number his Sixth and his Seventh. A 17 minute set of fragments orchestrated by Newbould was issued a few years ago by Hyperion, but this is a realisation of the full work, roughly half of which has been composed by Newbould as it has expanded now to 35 minutes duration.

Also, thanks from me for posting this recording. When I was 12 or 13 years old, I was a huge Schubert admirer and at that point, I also bought Neville Marriner's box of all Schubert symphonies including the fragments (except D 2B, which has never been recorded as far as I know).

Since then, my prime interests have shifted towards more modern music, but I still keep Schubert in high esteem and I am especially fascinated by his fragments because it is intriguing to "watch him at work" in a way, to see how he tries out new ideas and approaches, abandons his projects again for reasons which sometimes remain uncertain and so on. This all leaves much room for speculation, and I always liked to think about it.

Alan Howe

Newbould's completion of Schubert's Symphony in D major, D.708a is a fascinating and to my mind thoroughly successful exercise in re-construction. There are clear hints of what was to come in Schubert's output as he seemingly groped his way towards a new mode of symphonic expression. Wonder whether Chandos recorded it...?

Mark Thomas

Now available in the Downloads board are uploads of two fine late-romantic symphonic poems by Siegmund von Hausegger: Barbarossa and Wieland de Schmied. They were broadcast on German radio in 2000 at about the same time as it broadcast a performance of his Natursinfonie from the same performances. To date cpo have only issued that work and so, while we are waiting, I thought we might as well hear what we are missing!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 25 May 2012, 15:45
Now available in the Downloads board are uploads of two fine late-romantic symphonic poems by Siegmund von Hausegger: Barbarossa and Wieland de Schmied. They were broadcast on German radio in 2000 at about the same time as it broadcast a performance of his Natursinfonie from the same performances. To date cpo have only issued that work and so, while we are waiting, I thought we might as well hear what we are missing!

Marvellous, Mark :) Thank you very much indeed :)

eschiss1

Thanks for uploading the recording of Schubert D708a - I do see that incomplete versions by Newbould and others (scherzo, and portions of the other movements) has been floating about and recorded a few times (in recordings from 1981 - Marriner - or so to 1997? or so - Mackerras - and inbetween ) but it's good to have a conjectural 4-movement version :) (The 1997 recording on Hyperion, for instance, has about the full Scherzo, but only half the length for each of the other movements, not yet completed by Newbould at the time. Hyperion link.) (There was also a 1980?? - reissued on CD 1991? - recording with Gulke conducting his own completion.)

TerraEpon

Of course, the Scherzo is far and away the best part anyway.....but I do enjoy the fuller work nonetheless.

And thanks for the Hausegger, I do love the Natursinfonie and am interested in hearing more from him.

Mark Thomas

I don't think that there is much more, beyond the Natursinfonie and the two works which I uploaded. Of orchestral music there's a Dionysische Phantasie which preceded Barbarossa and a set of variations, Aufklänge, which he wrote between Wieland der Schmied and the Natursifonie. Other than that it's two operas and a Mass from his youth together with a late Requiem.