Austrian Composers

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 21 July 2011, 11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Dundonnell: Re Schmidt:
thanks- even though that's Wührer's arrangement (as with the piano quintets I have by him- original left-hand versions by him are rarely recorded, and though I haven't heard them, John Wiser's review of a recording of the quintets in G and B-flat made some good points about why they should be moreso) that increases my works of Franz Schmidt by 3 (will probably download the Variations too later- hrm - and I already have a symphony, two quintets and a tape of part of his oratorio- not counting that as I really haven't listened to it... yep- doubles it. Thanks indeed :) Have already heard two of those three works and perhaps the variations and concerto too, and am very glad to add them to my collection to relisten.
Always seemed a sign of the times- or something (I try not to generalize this way) - that on receipt of Schmidt, Schreker and other biographies, the Tempo magazine reviewer in the 1970s(?) took the opportunity to toss off Schmidt as personally and musically practically entirely boring. *sigh* :( Wrong, of course. I will not mention which composers were lauded in the same issue and an adjacent one (I agree with one or two- Roger Sessions, for instance, but the musics of many of the rest praised in the main part of those issues really do strike even me, fan of much modern music, as just -that-. Ah well.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 26 May 2012, 07:43
I don't think that there is much more, beyond the Natursinfonie and the two works which I uploaded. Of orchestral music there's a Dionysische Phantasie which preceded Barbarossa and a set of variations, Aufklänge, which he wrote between Wieland der Schmied and the Natursifonie. Other than that it's two operas and a Mass from his youth together with a late Requiem.

The two pieces by von Hausegger provided by Mark turn out to confirm the splendid impression created by the Natursinfonie :) What a grand composer von Hausegger was ;D

Mark referred in one of his recent posts in the German Music Downloads Discussion thread to his German and Austrian downloads helping to address the issue of balance between 19th and 20th century music on this forum. This is the ideal way to do that....by providing such superb examples of high Romanticism. Although my own tastes lie more towards the 20th century they do not extend very far into anything which is not basically tonal. I most definitely DO appreciate music such as that by von Hausegger, Goldmark et al :) :) The more of this that other members can supply the better :)

TerraEpon

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 26 May 2012, 07:43
I don't think that there is much more, beyond the Natursinfonie and the two works which I uploaded.

Heh, by 'more' I meant that which was uploaded, sorry...

Mark Thomas

jerfilm

Yes, many, many thanks to Mark for taking the time to upload all of these marvelous late Romantic works.  From the few that I've digitized, I know how much effort it takes. 

To second Colin's plea for more of the same from anyone else who may have hidden gems on their shelves.  I think our tastes are nearly the same although perhaps mine doesn't run quite as far into the 20th century as his do. 

Jerry

eschiss1

Found a new broadcast of Einem's Philadelphia symphony coming up, but also noticed that Horvat's recording of the same work, which has been uploaded here, is or was on CD on Point Classics (released in 1996 with two works by Hindemith). Ouch!...

Mark Thomas

I've added the attractive Piano Trio of Mathilde Kralik von Meyrswalden, a pupil of Bruckner. Its four movements are nicely contrasted, her material is memorable and there's a freshness and vitality to the whole work which is quite invigorating. The attacca transition from the brief Scherzo to the Finale is especially effective. It was broadcast by Austrian Radio a few days ago.

theqbar

Re: Homerische Symphonie by Theodor Berger, does anybody know the titles of the 3 movements?

Amphissa

The link to Einem's Orchestermusik, posted by LukasPayne, has gone dead. Not sure how to contact him. Did anyone manage to download it, who would be able to re-post with a working link?

Amphissa

Same with Orfeo's post of Krenek's Symphonische Musik für 9 Soloinstrumente and Czerny's Konzert für Klavier vierhändig und Orchester C-Dur op.153. Dead links. Could someone re-up?

Amphissa

Drats! Another gone missing.

Arbuckle's post of Skolaude Symphonic Study / Malkunowo (Symphonic Poem)

I fell behind during my busy spring and now trying to catch up.

Dundonnell

I can repost the von Einem and the Skolaude :)

I shall do so but please give me at least 24 hours to do so :)  After completing the Henk Badings Catalogue I am in a state of mental collapse and would probably mess up the uploading ;D

Mark Thomas

I've added a link to an attractive set of orchestral variations by Wilhelm Kienzl (1857-1941).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 09 June 2012, 20:25
I can repost the von Einem and the Skolaude :)

I shall do so but please give me at least 24 hours to do so :)  After completing the Henk Badings Catalogue I am in a state of mental collapse and would probably mess up the uploading ;D

Now done ;D

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded some of Ignaz Brüll's attractive and well put together orchestral music: the Concert Overture Macbeth, the Overture to the opera Das Goldene Kruetz and a Dance Suite: Tanzweisen.