Klaus Egge Symphony No. 1

Started by britishcomposer, Thursday 21 July 2011, 15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

This rare norwegian symphony was broadcast by Swedish SR2 on tuesday but you can listen again for 30 days.
The recording date is quite early; I don't know if it is currently available on CD?

Here are the details:

Klaus Egge: Symfoni nr 1 (1942) 40'40 .
Filharmoniska sällskapets orkester, Oslo.
Dirigent: Odd Grüner-Hegge. Inspelat 1958.

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/default.aspx?programid=248
Go to 'Tisdag 19 Juli' and click on 'Klassisk Förmiddag'

britishcomposer

Quote from: britishcomposer on Thursday 21 July 2011, 15:30
This rare norwegian symphony was broadcast by Swedish SR2 on tuesday but you can listen again for 30 days.
The recording date is quite early; I don't know if it is currently available on CD?
Okay, it IS available in a more recent recording by Karsten Andersen and the Bergen Philharmonic:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Klaus-Egge-Piano-Concerto-Symphony/dp/B0000E6QX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311266949&sr=8-1
I am not that much an expert in Norwegian music yet. At least in collecting records... ;)

vandermolen

Very sorry I missed the broadcast.  The earlier recording (Gruner-Hegge) is the better performance, but has never been released on CD. The Karsten Andersen, Bergen PO version is fine, but the recording is rather boxed in and tends to overload at the climax of the first movement - which is my favourite moment in the Symphony - I originally came across it on an old Phillips LP.

nersinhu

Quote from: vandermolen on Wednesday 14 September 2011, 00:44
Very sorry I missed the broadcast.  The earlier recording (Gruner-Hegge) is the better performance, but has never been released on CD. The Karsten Andersen, Bergen PO version is fine, but the recording is rather boxed in and tends to overload at the climax of the first movement - which is my favourite moment in the Symphony - I originally came across it on an old Phillips LP.
Agreed  ;)

nersinhu

I missed this broadcast too, but i liked it.  ;)