Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Listened to the Rosenstock concerto today, too.  A fine piece.  It seems to be in one extended movement.  I'll have to give it another run-through tomorrow.

eschiss1

Ah, thank you. Still will go to work on that Mini Werkverzeichnis; I enjoy them. ( <----- Dork. ) For op60 does the date 1904 for composition (not publication, i think he was only up to op47 about then there-a-wards) seem right, or earlier, anyone know? :) All I see is that it seems to have been performed, -maybe- premiered in May of that year... (<---- redundant dork. Apologies)

Hrm, no,no, the suite op.47 may be from around 1894, the 1904 thing is some sort of new edition maybe... interesting. ... wait. ...

markniew

Zdzisław Jachimecki in his small book on Żeleński (1of 1959) writes that Piano Concerto op. 60 was composed in 1903 and published by Idzikowski in Kiev and accepted by Litollf in Brunswick. He does not give unfortunately information on its premiere.
Jachimecki mentiones PhD dissertation by Aleksander Frączkiewicz "Polish Piano concerto after Chopin", Kraków 1947, perhaps more details can be found there.

markniew

In the Downloads section there is a link to:

TADEUSZ  PACIORKIEWICZ  (1916-1998)

Suite from the Ballet "Legend of Warsaw"    (1959)   

some information can be found od the composer's website:

http://www.paciorkiewicz.pl/2012/01/ballet-legend-of-warsaw/

Polish Radio  in its archives has got a number of Paciorkiewicz's composition - I will continue to upload some of them

Jacky

Gorgeous surprise with Zarebsky's quintet played by Spielman and Gimpel! 8)
Thank  you so much!

markniew

On Sunday at. 7:00 p.m. CET Polish Radio 2 will broadcast the concert with  Symphony no. 1 op. 8 by Witold Maliszewski. It is - up to my knowledge - the first performance of the piece in modern times.
Ca. 10 years ago his Symphony no. 3 was presented here also after decades of its creation (I uploaded it some months ago).
Some of the members remember that Maliszewski was educated in Russia (also under Rimsky-Korsakov) and spent many years there. he returned to Poland in 20s of 20th centyry.

Alan Howe

Will you be able to record it, Marek?

markniew

Yes, I plan to do it. Also some others do. I believe we will got it!

Alan Howe

markniew

In the Downloads/Polish Musics can be found:

STEFAN  BOLESŁAW  PORADOWSKI   (1902-1967)

Symphony no. 8 op. 71   (1966)

Poradowski is rather forgotten composer only a small number of his pieces have been recorded for Polish Radio.
I have had his Doublebass Concerto, few songs and Prelude and  Toccata for violin and piano (1962). Myself I do not know any LP/CD recording of his music.

some information on Poradowski can be found on the PWM website:

=364439&sortuj=sattr_83&grupuj=&przedm=118448&strona=2]http://www.pwm.com.pl/szczegoly.php?&Poradowski_Stefan_Boles%B3aw&aukcja=0&grupa_p=6&grp=&pwd[6]=364439&sortuj=sattr_83&grupuj=&przedm=118448&strona=2

and in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Boles%C5%82aw_Poradowski

note that here the title of the section "discography" is misleading - it should be rather: list of compositions

lechner1110

Marek, Many thanks for Poradowski.   Not too modern, and interesting work to me :)
  Also thanks for tell me about correct title of Małecki's work. 

jerfilm

Jozef Wieniawski  (1837-1912)

Piano Concerto in G minor  (1858)

Is this the opus 20 concerto??

Jerry

fr8nks

Yes, this is the Opus 20 Piano Concerto of about 1858. I've added the movement titles.

Alan Howe

Very many thanks to fr8nks for Maliszewski's 1st Symphony. Initial impressions are very favourable - more later...

fr8nks

You are welcome, Alan. The symphony was very well constructed and enjoyable from beginning to end.