Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Stojowski op21 - first movement is not Moderato, but Andante mesto- Allegro moderato (assuming this is actually op21, as I'll know in a moment... :) looking at the IMSLP/Russian Library download score just now.) Second movement is (indeed) Andante (with only local tempo changes of the rit. and a tempo kind.)
Then:
III. Scherzo: Molto vivace
IV. Finale. Allegro con fuoco, ma non vivace

(with a lot of localized calando, incalzando, rit., and a tempo nuances. One gets the impression that the last bars of this are presto- even though the whole movement is in 2/4 and nothing about that has changed - something about the writing seems to say headlong rush to me. Will see if it sounds that way, too!)
(almost exactly as in the files, yes.)
And again, again, sigh, the Pachulski was published in 1897. Pachulski did not invent the time machine and compose it in 1898. imslp.org's uploader very likely, I'm guessing, got the bracketed (hence, estimated!) "1898" by consulting a plate table for the publisher, often a good way of estimating the publication date, but HMB is generally better still.

semloh

Am I alone in thinking that the Stojowski often sounds like Stanford?

Alan Howe

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 20 September 2011, 10:28
Am I alone in thinking that the Stojowski often sounds like Stanford?

It's certainly quite conservative - a case of parallel development, perhaps?

lechner1110

Hello Marek

I checked Polish radio broadcast program at this June and I surprising to see Live performance of Stojowski's symphony!
And I interesting to your Chwedczuk's recording :D

Best

A.S

markniew

Hello Richard,

here you have the link to the Maliszewski on mediafire
http://www.mediafire.com/?k2bq24dmwd3s4b4

Marek

markniew

Allan,

as to the symphonies by Zelenski I have never heard them on radio. No idea they both or one of them have been ever registered.
From the small book on the composer (byZdzisław Jachimecki) I can see the following:
1st is of 1871-2, while 2nd of ca. 1912.

on the latter the author of the book writes: "it much more deserved the first prize at the competition organized on the 10th anniversary of the Warsaw Philharmonics in 1912 than the prize winner - the symphony by Adolf Gużewski".

Here I must say that yesterday I was wrong when writing that the Warsaw Philharmonics innaugurated in 1904 - sorry for that. I wrote all that just from my head.

interesting is that the winner - the Gużewski's piece is completely unknown - I have no information about its recording or performances in last 30 years.

The book on Zelenski states also that not long after the competition  no. 2 was presented to the public and it demonstrated real talent of the composer and his creative powers.
that is all I know.

Marek

markniew

Hello eschiss1,

how it came to discussing the movements of the Stojowski's symphony?
has it been dowloaded? cannot find.
I agree that you quoted the correct names of the movements.

I don't know what performance you all have got - that live one mentioned by A.S.?

if you have not had the Polish radio recording of 70s/early 80s??? I will upload it later tonight.
best,
Marek

eschiss1

and the score is at IMSLP. Likewise a reduced score of the D major op23 Rhapsodie , here Rhapsodie.

britishcomposer

Hello Marek!

A recent live-performance of the Stojowski Symphony has been uploaded by A.S
You may have overlooked it because it is in one single zip-file with the Rhapsodie symphonique:

Quote from: A.S on Monday 19 September 2011, 06:12
  Zygmunt Stojowski : Rapsodie symphonique pour Piano et Orchestre
                                    Symphony in D minor

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bc8c8l37z79wqcg

Jonathan Plowright - piano,
  Polish Radio Orchestra
  Łukasz Borowicz - conductor
  (Warsaw, 06.05.2011)

Recorded from Polish radio Broadcast This Year

A.S

Alan Howe

Thanks, Marek, for researching information on Zelenski's symphonies. Do you by any chance have his Piano Concerto in your archive?

Richard Moss

Marek,

Have just seen your Mediafire link for the  Maliszewski symphony. Downloading as I type!

Many thanks

Richard

Martin Eastick

Re; Zelenski symphonies - after enquiring about the availability of the orchestral material for the Zelenski symphonies, I was informed a few years back by PWM in Poland that the scores & parts/original ms had been destroyed during WWII. However, hopefully this is not the case. Does anyone have any further information?

markniew

Hello Britishcomposer,
Hello A.S.,

thank you, I really have overlooked the A.S. upload of the Stojowski's symphony.
I expect nice hearing and comparing with the studio recording. I believe I can discover some interesting elements and differences in both performances. 

Marek

markniew

Hello Allan,
Hello Martin,

as to Zelenski.
yes I do have two different recordings of his pf cto. One (with Andrzej Stefanski) is taken off-radio so I can upload it. the second one of 1952 (with Olga Martusiewicz?) I have got from my friend and I am not sure how he got it - with no doubts from Polish Radio however rather not off the air.

As to the scores of his symphonies. It is probably the case that they have not survived. that happened to many composers during WW2 - some of them composed a number of their compositions anew after the war.
I have found on the PWM website that they have score of one fragment from the Zelenski's symphony no. 1, namely Funeral Tones, Andante from Symphony No. 1, (1871), ca ''7'30''

http://www.pwm.com.pl/szczegoly.php?&%AFele%F1ski_W%B3adys%B3aw&aukcja=0&grupa_p=6&grp=&pwd[6]=364449&sortuj=sattr_83&grupuj=&przedm=118550&strona=3

as to other orchestral pieces by him mentioned by PWM I do have

Two Polish Dances: Mazurka and Polonaise Op. 37 for Symphony Orchestra, ca 19'

Suite of Polish Dances Polonaise, Krakowiak, Mazurka for Symphony Orchestra Op. 47, ca 12'

In The Tatra Mountains, Characteristic Overture Op. 27, (1870), ca 15'

Wit Stwosz, Introduction and March from the Music for W. Rapacki's Drama, (1857), ca 10'

am not sure whether I have Gavotte for Symphony Orchestra, ca 7', must check it.

best,
Marek

Alan Howe

Thanks for all that information on Zelenski. I would be grateful for an upload of the Piano Concerto - but please take your time: you have already contributed so much to our knowledge of Polish music!