Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Marek,

Any chance you could load Zelenski PC to mediafire so I can avoid the same problems I had before?

Would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Richard

Alan Howe

The Zelenski Piano Concerto is a fascinating example of what seems to be the composer's later style - rather like late Brahms in its darker colours and gruffer exterior. Not that the piece is lacking in beauty - it isn't - but it's certainly in a more advanced idiom than his earlier music. In any case, it's a prime candidate for Hyperion's RPC series, I'd have thought.

Dundonnell

Much thanks for the Weinberg Symphony No.8 :)

markniew

Hello eschiss1,

thank you also for the Weinberg symphony. I am quite sure that the performance took place here in Warsaw in 2001 or 2002. Must compare with my copy.

markniew

Richard,

here is the link to Zelensky on mediafire
http://www.mediafire.com/?b7103obdg5hyyrg

Marek

markniew

Thank you A.S.

I am so happy you have succeded in registering it.
Yesterday I heard a fragment and learnt that the opera is in 3 acts but act no. 2 has two scenes and radio presented it in two parts: act 1 and 1st scene of act 2 and then 2nd scene of act 2 and act 3.
If you want I can process the recording and upload iy again.
They said that the premiere took place in 1924 in Poznan, then the opera was staged for a number of times. After WW2 it had few performances in 4 act version - I suppose that two scenes of act 2 were showed as two separate acts. The last performance was done in 1975 here.
Libretto is let say rather fantastic on the sunk island on Baltic Sea called Vineta. The plot goes on during the shortest day (midsummer night?) when the island - only once a year- comes out of the sea. The fable is typical, there is of corse love affair. I am not a fan of oparas and in my opinion the fables are in majority of cases rather not strong as it concerns dramaturgy and likelihood.
For me the music itself is more important that the stage action. of course scenography is importang, good play of singers.

A.S. thank you again,
Marek

bigwoofer

One movement of Weinberg 8 is available on you tubeMieczyslaw Weinberg alias Mojsej Samuilovič Vajnberg (1919-1996): Symfonie č.8 "Kwiaty polskie" (Symphony No. 8 "The Flowers of Poland") na text J. Tuwima, op. 83; Jerzy Knetig - tenor, Symfonický orchestr a sbor Polské národní filharmonie, sbormistr Henryk Wojnarowski, dirigent Gabriel Chmura
1.Závan jara (Adagio), 2.Děti z předměstí (Allegro), 3.Před starou chalupou (Andantino), 4.Byl sad (Allegretto), 5.Bez (Lento), 6.Lekce (Allegro), 7.Varšavští psi (Allegro molto), 8.Matka (Adagio), 9.Spravedlnost (Moderato), 10.Visla plyne (Adagio).

I wy, warszawskie psy, w dniu kary
Psi obowiązek swój spełnijcie,
Zwyjcie się wszystkie i zbiegnijcie
Straszliwie pomścić swe ofiary.
...Za psy bombami rozszarpane,
Za zmarłe pod strzaskanym domem,
Za te, co wyły nad swym panem,
Drapiąc mu ręce nieruchome;
Za te, co z wdziękiem beznadziejnym
Łasiły się do nieboszczyków,
Za śmierć szczeniaków, co w piwnicy
Jeszcze bawiły się w koszyku;
Za biegające rozpaczliwie,
Pozostawione po mieszkaniach,
W dymie duszące się, półżywe,
Pamiętające o swych paniach;
Za nastroszone, za wierzące,
Że człowiek wróci - bo pies czeka;
I tak, w pozycji czekającej,
Siadł ufny pies na grób człowieka;
Za wzrok błagalny, przerażony
Tumultem, trzaskiem, pożarami,
Za psy, co same pazurami
W ogrodach ryły sobie schrony -
Za wszystkie męki i niedole,
Własne i tych, co was kochali
Wśród wspólnych ścian i śród rozwalin,
Zwyjcie się, bracia, na Psie Pole!
Niechaj w was wściekłe piany wzbiorą
I hurmem w trop zdyszaną sforą,
W trop, kiedy z Polski będą dymać
I tylko pludry w garści trzymać!
O cegły gruzów kły wyostrzcie
I o zbielałe ludzkie koście,
A gdy ich dopadniecie - skoczcie
Do grdyk, brytany, do gardzieli!
Ostrymi kłami wgryźć się, szarpnąć,
By nie zdążyli, hycle, charknąć!
Do grdyk, wilczyce! A pazury
W ślepia! by nawet nie mrugnęli.
A powalonych niech opadną
Wojska pomniejszych psów-mścicieli,
Niech ich poszarpią na kawały,
Żeby i matki nie wiedziały,
Gdzie szukać rozwłóczonych cząstek!...

Bo nasze - też nie znajdywały
Główek swych dzieci, nóżek, piąstek... (less info)

Richard Moss

Marek,

Many tks for Mediafire version of Zelenski PC.  Downloading as I type!

Truly, Polish composers must be one of the deepest pools of unsungs going! Do oytehrs think so too?

My interest in Polish 'romantic' orchestral music (outside of Wieniawski & Chopin!) started when Kennedy did an album recently of Polish VCs and has grown from there.  Naxos with Karlowicz has also helped.

Once again, many thanks and keep up the good work - I'm sure we all really appreciate hearing these lovely 'unsungs' (works or composers)

Best wishes

Richard

eschiss1

Thanks for the text etc. re Weinberg/Wajnberg/... symphony 8 (changing ID tag and adding to lyrics and Album Artist- for tenor and chorus resp.- on my iTunes item :D) (and, welcome :)! )

markniew

It is really nice to hear you liked Zelenski and Weinberg. The long poem Polish Flowers by Julian Tuwim was and still is (in fragments) popular among Poles. It dates to WW2 time and was written during the Tuwim's years in Brazil and US.
it is complex as the essence is concerned - lyrical, political, polemical with some political circles, consisting personal memories etc.
the above quoted text, for example, is devoted to the Warsaw dogs that suffered during the war etc.
don't remember what about other fragments tell.

Marek

eschiss1

Hard to see if this has been noted in this thread, but as to the Młynarski first concerto one may want to also see

IMSLP - full score and reduction.

(Of course, that was probably the reason for some to have requested it in the first place, since the 2nd was recorded and the first was on IMSLP - if the 2nd is available in score full or reduced somewhere and the first is ever commercially recorded it might be possible to balance those scales more completely.) The score of Młynarski's F major symphony is also at IMSLP as noted (I don't think I've seen that uploaded here, though the work's been mentioned in discussion.)

Greg K

I had never heard of Jerzy Lefeld, - but his very romantic E minor 2nd Symphony is a nice one indeed, which I am enjoying immensely.  The 2nd (slow) movement especially is a real beauty.  Thanks for the upload.

lechner1110

Hello Greg K

I'm glad to hear your comment.
  I also like this romantic symphony very much!
  I know Lefeld's biography a little, but I hope this composer's music are able to listen in future.

A.S

Greg K

It is an astonishingly fine Symphony I have been playing over and over again.  A real discovery, -
even if completely out of its time.  What might the context be for 1969-76?  As with my response to it, just one's inner musings I suppose.

Holger

I agree the Lefeld is a nice symphony. It is not completely out of time if we keep in mind that 1969-76 is actually the time of its revision. The first version of the piece dates from 1921 - so it's still a conservative piece but not in such an extreme way. However, I don't know any other pieces by Lefeld, so that I cannot say how his other compositions of the 1960s and 1970s might sound.