Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

re the Rozycki Sonata "to the memory of Konstanty Sarnecki" (1906) its score can be found here. (Hrm. Have I heard this piece even though it's been rebroadcast by the BBC a number of times? Those last few bars for example look really good but not so familiar. Well, can listen to it now :) )

eschiss1

Finished listening to the Statkowski quartet. The finale has a very interesting form - fugue, passacaglia, then looser variations then coda? - and the whole work seems to me quite good- emotionally involving and formally "tight"- in a way that reminds me of my favorite works in the medium. Glad to be introduced to it.

markniew

another piece by Malawski

ARTUR  MALAWSKI  (1904-1957)
Toccata for small orchestra   (1947) 
Polska Orkiestra Radiowa (Polish Radio Orchestra [of Warsaw])
cond. Krzysztof Słowiński

/off radio Feb.2005 - rebroadcast of the live concert during The Warsaw Musical Meetings - May 2004/

markniew

Two colourful and melodious pieces by Stanislaw Wiechowicz based on Polish folklore

STANISŁAW  WIECHOWICZ  (1893-1963)
Kasia (Kate) - Suite for Two Clarinets and String Orchestra   (1946)
1.  Allegro comodo
2.  Andante assai espressivo
3.  Allegro moderato
4.  Andante cantabile espressivo   
5.   Allegro moderato

Zenon Kitowski, Maciej Skórski, clarinets
String Ensemble of the Polska Orkiestra Radiowa [Polish Radio Ochestra {of Warsaw}]
cond. Andrzej Straszyński

/off radio, Nov.2008/

Chmiel (Hopvine) - Polish Wedding Dance for Symphony Orchestra (1927)

Orkiestra Polskiego Radia w Krakowie [Polish Radio O of Krakow]
cond. Zygmunt Rychert

/off radio Jan.2009/

Dundonnell

Since there does not seem to be any music by Tadeusz Baird here I have uploaded his

'Goethe Briefe'

in a performance by Andrejz Hiolski(baritone) and the Austrian Radio Chamber Choir and Symphony Orchestra under Jan Krenz.

markniew

As requested (Composers Section) I have uploaded Act 1 of "Maria" by Roman Statkowski

link in the Downloads/Polish Music

live performance at the W. Lutoslawski Polish Radio Concert Hall, 21 Sep. 2008
then rebroadcasted during three night programs in January 2009, Act 1 - on 03.01.2009

Opera of 1906 (premiered in Warsaw), based on the poem by the romantic poet Antoni Malczewski (1793-1826)  telling the story of love, war (with Tatars). Poem Maria is also called Ukrainian Roman due to the place where the story takes place - in 17th century eastern parts of Poland - Ukraine.
According to the radio comments opera was staged 4 times, for the last time in 1936.
During WW 2 score was partly lost . In 60s Kazimierz Wilkomirski, a pupil of Statkowski reconstructed the score.
It is not clear form me whether it was staged in this version before 2008.

Acts 2 and 3 I will uload tomorrow.

ROMAN  STATKOWSKI    (1859-1926)   

Maria – Opera ater Poem by Antoni Malczewski   (1906)

1. Akt I          42:16

Wioletta Chodowicz, sopran (Maria) / Dariusz Pietrzykowski, tenor (Wacław)
Artur Ruciński, baryton (Miecznik = Official, sword-bearer) / Wojciech Gierlach, bas (Wojewoda = Governor)
Katarzyna Rzymska, sopran (Pacholę = Lad)
Choir of Polish Radio
Polish Radio Orchestra (of Warsaw)
cond. Łukasz Borowicz

markniew

remaining acts of Maria by Statkowski have been uploaded (Dowloads/Polish)

act 2
performers
Artur Ruciński, baryton (Miecznik) / Wojciech Gierlach, bas (Wojewoda)
Katarzyna Rzymska, sopran (Pacholę)
Krzysztof Kur, tenor / Remigiusz Łukomski, bas

act 3
performers
Artur Ruciński, baryton (Miecznik) / Wojciech Gierlach, bas (Wojewoda)
Katarzyna Rzymska, sopran (Pacholę)
Krzysztof Kur, tenor (Szlachcic, Kozacy /Nobleman, Cossacs)
Remigiusz Łukomski, bas (Zmora, Rotmistrz, Kozacy, Maska / Nightmare, Cavalry Captain?, Cossacs, Masque)
Chór Polskiego Radia
Polska Orkiestra Radiowa
dyr. Łukasz Borowicz

/off radio: 17 Jan. 2009 (Act 2) and 31 Jan. 2009 (Act 3)/

markniew

Following start-up of the theme of Tadeusz Bird.

TADEUSZ  BAIRD   (1928-1981)
Symphony no. 2   (1952)
1.   Largo         
2.   Allegro quasi variazioni   
3.   Finale            
Wielka Orkiestra Symfoniczna Polskiego Radia / Polish Radio Great SO [of Katowice]
cond. Zbigniew Graca

/off Polish Radio, Jan. 2009/

Composer's biography can be found in the starting post by Alan /Composers and Music Section.

As Baird during his lifetime was one of quite frequently performed Polish composers so there are relatively many commercial recordings of his music - on LPs. After his premature death i 1981 the situation changed and his compositions are rather not well-known now. Few years ago the 2CD set with his music (reissue of LPs) was released by Polskie Nagrania company.

Symphony no. 2 - as far as I know - has not been commercially published either on LP, casstte or CDs.

markniew

You can dowload the following:

Tadeusz Baird (1928-1981)
Sinfonietta for Orchestra (1949)

Kazimierz Serocki (1922-1981)
Sinfonietta for Two String Orchestras (1956)

Jan Krenz (1926)
Rhapsody for Xylophone, tom-tom, Cattledroms, Celesta and String Orchestra (1952)

All three were members of so called "1949 Group" - see bio by Baird in the Composers section (It would be appreciated if Alan could kindly add bios by Kazimierz Serocki and Jan Krenz).

during that evening also that brilliant piece was performed:
Antoni Szalowski (1907-1973)
Overture for Orchestra (1936)

All these pieces were performed live at a concert in frame of 17th Warsawa Music Days(Encounters?) on 07 May 2003

Performers:
Polska Orkiestra Radiowa (Polish Radio Orchestra [of Warsaw]
cond. Krzysztof Slowinski

/taken off radio - cannot remeber whether that was live broadcast or rebroadcast/

Alan Howe

Thanks, Atsushi, for uploading Nowowiejski's Symphony No.3 - although from 1936-7, it is still in a familiar late-Romantic style - perhaps with a greater degree of dissonance than in his earlier works, but there's nothing to frighten the horses. And my goodness, can Nowowiejski write climaxes! Very lush and meaty stuff.

lechner1110

Thanks Alan, I would like to say my big thank you for Polish radio. It's a great job indeed!

semloh

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 25 November 2011, 10:27
Thanks, Atsushi, for uploading Nowowiejski's Symphony No.3 ...

Hear, hear!  :)

And the Jasinski is a very powerful work. Yet another unsung Polish composer...
Thanks
:)

lechner1110

Yes, I surprised too!  Also interesting composer... ::)

markniew

Thank you, Atsushi.

I have downloaded Jasinski and Nowowiejski and wait for hearing, especially Nowowiejski!
As to Jasinski - he is a contemporary composer living in Szczecin (North-Western Poland).

6 years ago his Symphony "In principio" for baritone, choir and orchestra (2005) was performed and transmitted on radio - I got it. Are you interested?

markniew

And few words on Ludomir Michal Rogowski (1881-1954)
He was born in Lublin/Poland, studied with Noskowski (composing) and Mlynarski (conducting) and then with A. Nikish in Leipzig. Up to 19012 he used to conduct in Wilno (Vilnius), 1912-14 musical director of the Modern Theatre in Warsaw. During WW 1 he lived in France and Belgium, then back in Warsaw (1922-26). In 1926 he moved and settled in Dubrovnik (Yugoslavia) and lived there till his death.
According to my source he composed 7 symphonies, many symhonic poems, Bosnian Rhapsody, Dalmatinian Rhapsody, Krakowiak on theme by Chopin for piano and orchestra, chamber mmusic, piano music etc.
Rather not known and not performed in Poland - but as we can see played in Croatia!
Polish Acte Prealable has issued fragment of his Requiem (Panichida) ca. 10 years ago (coupled with Romuald Twardowski's pieces).