Polish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Friday 22 July 2011, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

QuoteArto Norass, cello

Actually, that should be Noras with one 's'.  This wonderful Finnish cellist recorded my favorite version of the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata many years ago, for Finlandia Records.

JimL

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 07 December 2011, 13:50
The full details of the Novakovski Piano Quintet are:

Józef NOWAKOWSKI (1800-1865)

Piano Quintet No.2 in E-flat Major op. 17 (1857)
I. Allegro
II. Scherzo
III. Andante
IV. Allegro
Mihaela Ursuleasa, piano; Rainers Honeks, violin; Kristians Frons, viola;
Arto Norass, cello & Jureks Dibals, double bass
Finally got this downloaded today.  Thanked Jerry appropriately, BTW.  Hmmm.  Sound rather - Hummelian.  Yeah, the idiom is rather retro for its date of composition, and the piano technique sounds more like Hummel than Chopin or Liszt.  But it's enjoyable nonetheless.

jerfilm

On first hearing I thought it sounded rather "thumpy" but then I realized that this is a little different configuration of instruments - a double bass instead of the second violin....

Jerry

eschiss1

There were quite a few quintets for that combination I think, especially early into the 19th century (and as late as Hermann Goetz and a few into the 20th century...)

eschiss1

Nowowiejski's Opus 30? "Quo vadis"  in an English translated vocal score is now at Sibley (probably soon at IMSLP too, ... hrm)

lechner1110

I listened some symphonic works by Fitelberg ,Morawski and Nowowiejski today.
   Wonderful works....
   Especially , I enjoyed to listen Don Quichote by Morawski.  Very Richard Straussian symphonic poem !
   Thanks Marek :)

Atsushi

lechner1110

Hi members,

I modified my upload of Symphony no.2 by Maklakiewicz. Because, it have many sound interrupts. 
   I tried to restore this recording. 
   Unfortunatelly, noise are still remain.  But many interrupt of music were deleted.
   It's my best.  I hope members will like new version.
   Thanks  :)

Atsushi

fr8nks

Thank you. It sounds great now. Maklakiewicz is a long neglected follower of Szymanowski and a very fine composer.

lechner1110

I just uploaded Symphonic poem "Grunwald" by Maklakiewicz
  Different from his hyper-Szymanowskian Symphony No.2, this work is written in more traditional late romantic style.
  Anyway, this is fine work in my view.

isokani

Looking forward to this. Many links are not working any more for Maklakiewicz (esp. Vc conc, and Sym. Vars.) or Malawski -- is there a way to access these pieces? Thanks for anyone's help - would love to hear these pieces.

Btw I have just listened to the Maklakiewicz 2nd Symphony again. It's fantastic. The performance took place just up the road from here -- how did I miss it? Must have been playing a concert somewhere in another country. Or perhaps I wasn't aware enough of his name to take notice. Now I am. But I suppose there will be a 20-year wait until the piece is played again :-(

ttle

Quote from: A.S on Friday 25 November 2011, 10:18

More Polish music...

http://www.mediafire.com/?0cj4165q5oi0895

Ludomir Michal Rogowski (1881-1954)

1. Dubrovačke impresije: (1950)

2. Symphony no.4

Simfoniski Orkestar Hrvatske Radio Televizije
  Conductor : Tomislava Fačinija (maybe) 

I found it from Croatian radio.
  But I couldn't found information of conductor.
  I guess conductor is Tomislava Fačinija from announce.
  If anyone know it, please tell me correct information ???

Oops, I forgot to write ...
  Recorded from Croatian radio (HR3 CROATIA - HRT) at 20.Nov.2011

The conductor is Tomislav Faccini. What you heard is the genitive case of his name!  ;)

markniew

Quote from: isokani on Friday 23 December 2011, 14:59
Looking forward to this. Many links are not working any more for Maklakiewicz (esp. Vc conc, and Sym. Vars.) or Malawski -- is there a way to access these pieces? Thanks for anyone's help - would love to hear these pieces.

Hello Isokani,

I have renewed the links to the Cell Cto and Prague Overture by Maklakiewicz.

I was sure the links are available for long time but can see they expire after rather short time. Perhams there is good way to set them to last longer.

As to Malawski - what piecesa rae no longer available? I will renew them also.
Marek

malito

Hi!

The new version is absolutely wonderful!  I love this symphopny because it reminds me of Szymanowski and I love Szymanowski,

lechner1110

Hi malito,   It's my pleasure ;)    I also love Szymanowski !  Wonderful symphony indeed  ;D

semloh

Marek - just a general "thank you" for all the marvellous Polish music you've been uploading. It's a great pleasure to explore these works and to discover hidden treasures.  :) :)