News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Bruch's Organ Suite

Started by Gerhard Griesel, Sunday 24 July 2011, 20:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerhard Griesel

Does anyone know of any Bruch 'Organ Suite' recordings?

Searching 'Organ concertos' recently, I found a site 'http://www.agohq.org/docs/pdf/Organ_Orchestra_List.pdf' with a list of organ + orchestra works. There is so much there that it will take months to research. One of the first jewels I found was that Bruch had composed a suite for organ and orchestra. A search on Unsung Composers shows that Kriton has referred to this work in 2010. A search on Amazon shows one CD, an EBS label. The orchestra name is not visible on the small picture. A customer reviewer says:

'If you are wondering why I gave this CD 5 stars - it is simply because of the Organ Suite. I've never heard it before and this is a magnificent find! I believe it's the only recorded version and anyone who loves rich, thick, Bruch orchestrations with a bonus of a beautiful organ part - should buy this CD. It is simply beautiful and worth the price of the CD alone.'

My problem with this CD is that it is rather expensive, AND I'll have to bear with a violin concerto on the rest of the CD :-(.

On Youtube there is a recording of the same work. If it is the same recording, I must say I find it excruciatingly slow.

JimL

If it's the same work I'm thinking of, that Suite was reworked into the Concerto for Two Pianos.  I believe the key was changed, but little else (except that the organ part was distributed between the two pianos, of course.)

TerraEpon

I love that piece, downloaded it some years ago....been on my wishlist a few months (that discs seems to be the only recording).
And yes, it's almost the same as the Double Piano Concerto, but t works great with organ.