Bulgarian symphonists thread

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

I'm not sure that all this has needed to be exposed to the pubic gaze, Jim, but have you looked at the "track" tags? If they aren't already, try using the iTunes "Get info" command to tag them "1 of 3", "2 of 3" and "3 of 3". It might just help. They all need to have the same album name and performers of course.

JimL

Well, I did that, and at first it didn't work, but then I took a closer look...to find that my entire library had been turned upside down!  Apparently the Sort Composer button had been hit accidentally.  Now everything is as it should be.  BTW the Vladigerov VC 1 is apparently in F-sharp minor.  And what a whale of a piece it is, too!  Kind of reminds me of the Korngold, in a way.  That same lush orchestration with the harp and percussion, and big, intensely chromatic tunes coupled with dissonant tutti passages.

minacciosa

Quote from: Dundonnell on Thursday 09 February 2012, 14:18
It seems to me that Pancho Vladigerov is by far the most impressive of the 20th century Bulgarian composers whose works have been uploaded for the members of this forum. Discussion of Vladigerov has been rather spread across a number of separate threads (as have the downloadable links ;D) but the First and Second Symphonies, the First and Second Piano Concertos and the Second Violin Concerto are certainly all available here.

I understand that there are five Piano Concertos in total and, although the later ones may not have quite the romantic freshness of the first two, the third at least is spoken of as a brilliant virtuoso piece.

It is however the Violin Concerto No.1 which is quoted as Vladigerov's most impressive piece, recalling the Szymanowski 1st.

Having heard both Violin Concertos many times now, I have to say that the first is a good piece, but it is not really fully mature Vladigerov. It leans upon certain devices (such as whole tone chords or passages) in a way that the older composer did not, and the composers early influences are here still undigested. In fact, the voice itself is not quite yet the real Vladigerov. The 2nd Violin Concerto is fantastic. It's a work of a master composer; there's nary a misstep in its narrative. Unlike the 1st, this work could be popular if it could ever gain regular exposure.

minacciosa

Is there any music by Konstantin Iliev?

JimL

Au contraire, Monsieur!  Both VCs can be popular, the first no less than the second!  The youthfulness and color of the 1st are sure to gain favor.  I still need to give the 2nd another hearing.  That will be on my agenda for the morrow.

fr8nks

Quote from: minacciosa on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 04:30
Is there any music by Konstantin Iliev?

I have the Concerto Grosso by Konstantin Iliev.

JollyRoger

fr8nks:
Thanks so much for posting the Concerto for Orchestra and Sonata-Poem by Raychev..he is one of my favorite composers
and I can't wait to hear this. And the quality of the Balkanton LP to date has been excellent.
ANYTHING orchestral in addition to what is here would be deeply appreciated...any concerti, overtures, ballet or other suites would be heaven sent.

fr8nks

You are very welcome. I have his Symphonies 2 thru 6. I know symphonies 2 and 3 have been uploaded but haven't checked the others. I'll upload what isn't here. Latvian has his choral Symphony No.1 and you might ask him to upload it.

Frank

Dundonnell

Quote from: fr8nks on Friday 17 February 2012, 14:07
You are very welcome. I have his Symphonies 2 thru 6. I know symphonies 2 and 3 have been uploaded but haven't checked the others. I'll upload what isn't here. Latvian has his choral Symphony No.1 and you might ask him to upload it.

Frank

Nos. 3 and 4 have been uploaded ;D Not, as far as I can see, No.2.

eschiss1

The version of Raichev's symphony no.2 that I have is a copy of a commercially-available (on compact disc) recording, so when I found that out after uploading it I took it down. (Well, made it private, but effectively so.)

There's a few commercially-available recordings of this work and some no longer available (but once available on CD), I don't know of any airchecks etc. or whathaveyou that haven't at some point been available on CDs- our breakpoint- of the work that could be uploaded in its stead.

Dundonnell

I can provide uploads of an alternative performance of Alexander Raichev's Sonata-Poem for Violin and Orchestra(Boyan Lechev/Bulgarian National Radio SO/Vassil Stefanov) and Vessilin Stoyanov's Violin Concerto of 1948.

Any interest ???

JollyRoger

Quote from: minacciosa on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 04:07
It seems to me that Pancho Vladigerov is by far the most impressive of the 20th century Bulgarian composers whose works have been uploaded for the members of this forum. Discussion of Vladigerov has been rather spread across a number of separate threads (as have the downloadable links ;D) but the First and Second Symphonies, the First and Second Piano Concertos and the Second Violin Concerto are certainly all available here.

I understand that there are five Piano Concertos in total and, although the later ones may not have quite the romantic freshness of the first two, the third at least is spoken of as a brilliant virtuoso piece.

It is however the Violin Concerto No.1 which is quoted as Vladigerov's most impressive piece, recalling the Szymanowski 1st.

Having heard both Violin Concertos many times now, I have to say that the first is a good piece, but it is not really fully mature Vladigerov. It leans upon certain devices (such as whole tone chords or passages) in a way that the older composer did not, and the composers early influences are here still undigested. In fact, the voice itself is not quite yet the real Vladigerov. The 2nd Violin Concerto is fantastic. It's a work of a master composer; there's nary a misstep in its narrative. Unlike the 1st, this work could be popular if it could ever gain regular exposure.
To me, Vladigerov's most impressive work is from 1952,
Pancho wrote his Jewish poem, dedicated to his grandfather Leon Pasternak.
but I have not yet heard the symphonies.

Sicmu

I deleted the following post as I just realized this work is on CD :

Vladigerov, Pancho (1899-1978)

Divertimento for chamber orchestra,
Bulgarian National Radio Symphony Orchestra,
Alexander Vladigerov (conductor)

minacciosa

Quote from: JollyRoger on Sunday 26 February 2012, 04:30
Quote from: minacciosa on Tuesday 14 February 2012, 04:07

To me, Vladigerov's most impressive work is from 1952,
Pancho wrote his Jewish poem, dedicated to his grandfather Leon Pasternak.
but I have not yet heard the symphonies.
The Jewish Poem is a marvelous work. Also recommended is the Concert Overture Op.27 and the opera Tsar Kaloyan.

jowcol

Music of Lubomir Pipkov(1904-1974)

Adding to the downloads section , from Karl Miller's collection, recordings of Pipkov's Piano Concerto (a really lovely work) and Symphony 2 (we have 1,3, and 4, it seems)

1-3: Piano Concerto
Nikolai Evrov, Piano
Sofia State Philharmonic
Dobrin Petkov, Conductor

4-7 Symphony 2
Sofia State Philharmonic
Konsantin Illierv, Conductor

From the Union of Bulgarian Composers Website

He is Panayot Pipkov's son. He belongs to the second generation of Bulgarian composers. He was among the founding members of the Contemporary Music Society (1933), the predecessor of the Union of Bulgarian Composers. His impressive versatility as a composer, literary man and poet, journalist and public figure, pedagogue and socially involved artist with progressive ideas made his name as one of the leading personalities in the music culture and the intellectual elite in Bulgaria in the period 1930s-1970s.

He studied Piano with Ivan Torchanov and Henrich Visner. He graduated from the Ecole Normale de Musique in Paris majoring in Composition under Paul Ducas and Nadia Boulanger and Piano under Yvonne Lef?bure. He returned to Bulgaria in 1932 and worked as accompanist at the Sofia Opera and was also actively involved in the work of the newly founded Contemporary Music Society. From 1944 to 1948 he was Director of the Sofia Opera. In 1948 he was appointed Professor of Vocal Ensembles at the State Academy of Music. He began publishing the magazine Music (1948) (siuce 1953 which was later renamed Bulgarian Music) and participated in a number of congresses and international juries. From 1945 to 1954 he chaired the Union of Bulgarian Composers. In 1974 he was elected Honorary Member of the Union of Bulgarian Filmmakers. He was posthumously awarded the title Corresponding Member of the Arts of the German Democratic Republic.

He composed in all genres of the epoch reconsidering in a new creative manner their imagery and musical language. He is author of three operas; vocal-orchestral opuses; four symphonies and other works for symphony, string and chamber orchestra; works for voice and chamber orchestra; choral and solo songs; children's songs; folksong arrangements; film music, etc. Among the choral masterpieces are "In the Field", "Spring Wind", "Yellow Butterfly", "Nani mi nani, Damiancho" or "Priglusheni pesni" – a cycle for female voices choir -, which were included in the repertoire of the Bulgarian choirs and created an internationally acclaimed image of the Bulgarian choral art at prestigious international festivals and other forums.