German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Well, Bielekat (Bielefelder Katalog Klassik Online) lists only Jakob and Willy Trapp. They do list both Butting symphonies 7 and 9. (7 conducted by Werner Andreas Albert in an 8-CD set I think...)
Thanks!!!
To get one of my uploads to succeed I had to zip and gzip the folder, for whatever reason...

Dundonnell

I shall try later....when all those kids out there stop downloading or uploading or whatever they do when they come home from school >:(

Holger

Eric, the information on Butting's Seventh is a bit misleading. Actually this is one movement from the Seventh issued as part of a series on German music after WW2. The conductor isn't Werner Andreas Albert but Rolf Kleinert. I have the complete symphony in just this recording on LP (and in fact, it was never issued on CD in total). Give me some time and I will upload it.

I know all these difficulties with MediaFire very well. Some days ago, MediaFire wouldn't even allow me to start an upload for hours. That's rather annoying, but MediaFire does have its benefits (as, for example, permanent storage, which is of course very useful for our purposes).

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 07 November 2011, 18:50That's twice now the Trapp upload has failed....each time at 99% completion. ::) ::)

Sometimes, what I do is set mediafire to upload two files - the important one first and then an arbitrary one. When it finishes the first and is 'Verifying' (whatever that might portend) it turns it's back and begins loading the second (bogus) file, allowing the first to 'finalise'.

;D ;D ;D

britishcomposer

Quote from: Holger on Monday 07 November 2011, 17:56
Britishcomposer, I also have that recording. The symphony is played by the Berliner Philharmoniker, conducted by Trapp himself, and it was recorded in 1951. I got my version via internet but I don't think there has really been a commercial release - Mike Herman doesn't list any recording and he tends to be well-informed of course (and I don't know about any CD myself).

Ah, yes, I seem to remember! (After twenty years I still remember the situation vividly, sitting before my Hifi equipment and trembling not to mess this rare occasion!  ;D)
Only I thought that it was actually recorded during WW2. Quite astonishing that the Berlin Phil. did this stuff in the 50s! Well, I don't expect to see them revive this work with Sir Simon... ;)  ;D

Holger

I remember that when I got the piece (I mean Trapp's Sixth) I did some research to find out when it was composed. I actually failed to get any precise data but based on other works by Trapp with nearby opus numbers I came to the conclusion it must have been composed around 1945 in fact. Trapp still seems to have had his performances at least for some time after WW2. For example, his Third Concerto for Orchestra was composed in 1950 and performed by Knappertsbusch (it's even available on CD, as is his Piano Concerto).

Anyway, he has almost completely fallen into oblivion now. However we never know how things will emerge, as there have been some recent CD issues of music by Graener and Weismann there might be some interest in Trapp as well - but I also guess it won't be Rattle conducting for sure! ;D

In any case, what we should not forget is that besides figures like Trapp there is actually a large number of German composers from that time left to be rediscovered, with quite various personal and political backgrounds. I am very glad CPO have brought out some disc with music by Günter Raphael, for example - this was a real find for me.

eschiss1

hrm. symphony 6 in B-flat opus 45... will see if I can find it in HMB, to at least approximate publication date though not composition date... this blog claims it was premiered by Furtwängler in 1951. (yes, the bit about symphony no.11 opus 15 is an odd misreading.)
(HMB lists very little by Trapp during the 2nd World War. Much quicker read since every few issues there's a list of composers, and he tends not to be in it, except for August 1943 for the Kleine spielmusik op.41 (same page as Klenau's 7th symphony and Pepping's 2nd) ; April 1943 for the Allegro deciso for orchestra op.40  and - well, haven't quite finished checking.)
(The radio premiere (Ursendung) of Trapp's 6th symphony was sometime between 1951 and 1991 and is mentioned, with a quote of the NDR radio listing- the Google books snippet I find doesn't show me the day - in "Der NDR zwischen Programm und Politik: Beiträge zu seiner Geschichte" by Wolfram Köhler and Klaus Berg (1991 book).)

Dundonnell

Trapp's Symphony No.2 is now successfully uploaded and should be available for download tomorrow(today ;D)

eschiss1

Thanks! (Yay for B minor symphonies :) )

semloh

Quote from: herrarte on Sunday 06 November 2011, 21:21
Try it now. The links work now.

Cheers,

herrarte

Herrarte - you are a kind person - sincere thanks for putting it up on Mediafile.  :) :) :)

Arbuckle

Added some pieces, if approved, by Max Butting and Max Trapp. There are also several pieces on YouTube by Butting such as Symphony No. 10 and a String Trio.
I wasn't clear if someone is planning on adding Trapp Symphony No. 6, so didn't include it unless no one else has it, then I will add it, too. My recording of Trapp's Piano Concerto is the same as the one on the Concertgebouw CDs with Mengelberg, though I received it many years before the CD came out (1910) from a friend in Germany, nice piece, too.

Dundonnell

Arbuckle,

I cannot see the Trapp Cello Concerto file. Did you upload it?

Thanks for the other files :)

eschiss1

Thanks! Also, the movements of the violin concerto op.21 of Trapp are
1. Bewegt -- 2. Adagio -- 3. Ruhig.
(movement lists for Butting's symphonies 6-8, but not 9, can be found at de-Wikipedia. Eg for symphony 7 see http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/7._Sinfonie_(Butting). Hopefully someone with information on the 9th symphony will add an article in due course :) one movement, apparently, from the score title. ) (the first movement of the violin concerto is 50-odd seconds? that is odd.)

Holger

Butting's Ninth is in one movement, in fact! There are several parts but it's not subdivided into real movements.

eschiss1

As with other Jednoveta/In einem satz/In one movement works it's agreeable/useful (though I'd also agree less "essential") to have tempo markers to the more interesting division points (my phrasing is coming out quite poorly here- and I'm not even translating.)  (Admittedly, with the scores less readily available, less useful than in other cases!)
Also, the Allegro deciso is Max Trapp's op.40 (according to HMB). (Recorded 28 December 1942 according to CHARM, published I think 1943.)
(Oh, I see - violin concerto - "incomplete recording")