German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Hate to break the news to you, Jerry, but, um...no it isn't.  ::)  ;)

eschiss1

Well, I expect it has to pass moderator approval first. If it does so and when, then it will be.  (I.e.: it is a moderated folder...)

jerfilm

eschiss1

Re Georg Schumann, without even looking (though I ought to) at the useful de-Wikipedia list of works, I see there's at least one symphony with opus number, in F minor opus 42. Any recordings commercial or broadcast known to have been made of that ever?...

Alan Howe

Thanks, Jerry for the speedy upload of the Hiller Piano Quintet - right up my street, and a grand work into the bargain.

jerfilm

And a special thanks to Mark for pointing out that this treasure was being broadcast..... :D

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Thanks Jerry.

Eric, I can find out nothing about this work except that it dates from around 1870 and was published in 1873? Can you work your magic and put any flesh on the bones?

JimL

I can already tell you that it's in G Major (I downloaded it and compared the tonality with other downloaded works by playing the beginnings).  Unless, that is my iTunes isn't true to the tones.  If you would be so kind, Eric as to see if IMSLP has the movement indications...

eschiss1

re the Hiller quintet, all I was able to find out so far was that it was also performed in 1873 in Leipzig  I think (I think that's what the German text said, I mean.) ... (and presumably premiered sometime in that 3-year period ) but haven't yet found out more- will get to work (erm- spell research?) on that! *blush*

semloh

Oddly, neither the 1900 nor 1906 editions of Grove mention Hiller's Piano Quintet despite listing his chamber output as including "5 pf quartets, 5 trios, 5 string quartets ...[sonatas, etc etc]".

Rather quaintly, the 1900 edition says of Hiller that "His pleasant genial personality, and his great intelligence and wide range of knowledge, make him welcome wherever he goes. In England he has many friends, who are always glad to see him, and hear his delicate legato style of playing, soon, alas, to be numbered with the things of the past." It adds that "His 'Destruction of Jerusalem', his Spring Symphony in E minor, his Pianoforte Concerto in F sharp minor, and more than one of his pianoforte works, are surely destined to survive."  A bold prediction! The mainstream CD catalogues offer the F sharp concerto and some piano works, but no obvious recording of the others. Indeed, I wonder if any of his symphonies have ever been recorded?

eschiss1

so far all I have is that the Library of Congress, Munich's Library (Bavarian State Library), U Cambridge Library, and at least two others I can't figure out on this older computer (Worldcat won't quite work), do carry the 1873 Siegel edition - hoping to have more information than that soon though.

eschiss1

I don't know of any recordings of the symphonies, but there are recordings of others of the piano concertos (including one on Hyperion of the first three), and Allmusic.com mentions recordings of a few other works that may be no longer available.  There's a 3-CD set apparently from 2010, that at least looks very interesting from cpo with a lengthy title part of which is "Beilagen zur Neuen Zeitschrift für Musik, Heft 1 - 16" which contains something by Hiller, I am not quite sure what?... also some discs that contain lieder by Hiller.

One of his early string quartets is (as written) unperformable (or at least, contains an unplayable without scordatura?? chord on the viola in the first movement; not to say this couldn't perhaps be redistributed among the instruments or somehow managed. This is not that unusual, unfortunately, I gather. Parts for the first three string quartets are at IMSLP, and this can be verified ...)

JimL

There are only 3 Hiller PCs, Eric.  The "4th" is the Konzertstück in C, Op. 113.  Which has been recorded at least once.

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 12 September 2011, 03:46
re the Hiller quintet, all I was able to find out so far was that it was also performed in 1873 in Leipzig  I think (I think that's what the German text said, I mean.) ... (and presumably premiered sometime in that 3-year period ) but haven't yet found out more- will get to work (erm- spell research?) on that! *blush*
I burned a nice CD of the Reuss String Quintet and the Hiller Piano Quintet.  Sent the Hiller Quintet to my girlfriend in Texas.  It would SURE be nice to have some movement titles!  >:(  ;)

P.S.  The two quintets actually make quite a nice pairing!

P.P.S. I wouldn't say the Reuss quintet sounds 50 years behind its times.  More like 25.  Some of the textures and sonorities sound unthinkable without the influence of Brahms.

eschiss1

the Reuss quintet movement titles are Allegro moderato - Scherzo: Vivace assai - Andante con moto - Allegro non assai (but I suspect you already have that!) - the Hiller quintet titles I have been unable so far to obtain - need to keep at it...

I do see this... the Hiller quintet will be performed at this concert here (Dusseldorf) October 15 '11. The same two people mentioned are giving a Hiller-concert in Köln on October 7th- I suspect they are touring with the quintet. I suspect someone here (I feel like I'm volunteering myself- well, not a bad idea actually... hrm.) should contact them :).