German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Maybe somebody on the Continent can catch the concert and get the movement tempi right off the program notes!  Ilja, maybe.

chill319

That Hiller Quintet is quite a gift, Jerry. Thanks much. Well worth reviving, especially when played with such evident affection. Pity the announcer at the end doesn't mention the movement markings.

JimL

Yeah.  It's really starting to grow on me.  And I'm not that big a fan of chamber music.  Think you we may have had a major contribution to the PQuintet literature languishing on the shelf for nearly a century and a half and only now getting its due?

P.S. I do get the idea that there is a first movement repeat that is not taken in this performance.  It may extend the performance time by about 5 minutes, but methinks it might be better to take it, since the finale outlasts the first movement by almost a minute without it.

britishcomposer

I have contacted the WDR for information about the movement tempi.
BTW, the Hiller Piano Quartet op 133 is to be broadcast on Sunday 25th September. Same program, Musikhaus WDR

jerfilm

Thanks for the tip, BC - have set up to record the Hiller Quartet.

Jerry

semloh

As a naive listener, I agree that the Hiller quintet is a fine work and I suspect its appeal will be undimmed by repeated listening. Thank you again for uploading it. Members are so generous, and it is difficult not to swamp the threads with constant expressions of gratitude, but sometimes it just has to be said!

JimL

It (the Quintet) sounds like a fun work to play, and its musical and expressive attainments are considerable.  It seems to date from around the same period as the 3rd PC (Concerto espressivo) and Hiller was striving very consciously to extend the expressive potential in his music.  But what really caught my attention is the thematic development.  Throughout the course of the first movement the principal theme is heard in augmentation, diminution, and contrapuntal juxtaposition of each against the original!

semloh

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 17 September 2011, 15:24
......what really caught my attention is the thematic development.  Throughout the course of the first movement the principal theme is heard in augmentation, diminution, and contrapuntal juxtaposition of each against the original!

Exactly what I was trying to say, JimL! ;)

eschiss1

Hrm. Was the performance (I really need to listen to it this weekend, I haven't yet and know I'll enjoy it...) from the Julitafestival in Sweden (Program, July 24, programmed with Arensky's quintet?)  Perhaps contacting one of the performers there would work also, at that!

JimL

Eh!  Any word back on the movement titles for the PQuintet?  I'd say the 3rd movement is an Intermezzo: Allegretto or maybe Moderato somethingorother. 

eschiss1

my "usual sources" of inspiration have run dry (contemporary reviews, library catalogs, scanned-in scores, certain other things) and I live nowhere near any of the libraries where I know there to be copies of scores and parts of the quintet, though perhaps one or more of them will scan it in online (I'm talking to you, BSB :) ). But sometimes there's something one hasn't thought of... nothing yet though.

jerfilm

Thanks for the Raff, Mark.....Gee, I have an old recording of that on my reel to reel tape NUMBER ONE.   Yes, THAT old....

Jerry

Balapoel

Mark, thank you for the Raff cello sonata!

eschiss1

about the Hanns Wolf concerto, I am surprised and intrigued to find that Bielefelder Catalog online (I had no idea they had an online catalog...) lists  a K.U. Classics CD containing the concerto, with the same pianist, another Romanian orchestra (Bucharest) and a different conductor (mentioned here.)

Hrm. An online Bielefelder catalog. There's a resource to bookmark (at least, I intend to...); I've heard how well-turned paper copies of the print one would be, if I make any sense...!

eschiss1

any recording of Baußnern's symphony no.5 (choral symphony on Ist ein Schnitter, heißt der Tod) (1922, given in 1936 and perhaps earlier, I don't know)?...