German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Agreed, thanks for the Buttner symphonies. Fairly sure no.3 is in D-flat rather than E-flat (contemporary sources have Des-dur.) Still, listening may resolve so long as the recordings are on-pitch. They were mostly or all published by 1923 I think so I'm hoping eventually to be able to add movement listings where needed...

Ilja

Hi Eric,

You're right about the key. My bad, thanks for noticing.

JimL

Yeah, I noticed that too, but wasn't sure I should say anything.  There's no such key as D-sharp Major.  It can only be notated because the number of sharps exceeds the circle of 5ths.  No key has double sharps in the signature.  We have E-flat instead.

Mark Thomas

I've added the Four Character Pieces by the famous conductor and pianist Hans von Bülow.

eschiss1

D-sharp has been listed as a key on some works (I think there was a theory that generally sometimes D major ones listed as "D-sharp" or "Dis" as a tradition to tell the winds , especially B-flat ones (in the early clarinet days...?), that many a sharp would be seen ahead - that is, "D with sharp+". I gather an early draft of the title page of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis had this- not sure. And of course E-flat works too, leading to some ambiguity...)
I probably don't know what I'm talking about here, alas...

Balapoel

Here you go:
4 Charakterstücke for orchestra , Op. 23

1 Allegro risoluto,
2 Notturno,
3 Intermezzo guerriero,
4 Funerale

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks for the movement titles for von Bülow's little suite, Belapoel. Great work.

Dundonnell

I have uploaded two more Hartmann symphonies-Nos. 1 and 5- in performances of Ernest Bour and Ferdinand Leitner. The Bour is from an old Wergo LP not transferred to cd and the Leitner is a concert performance from Bavarian Radio.

JimL

Any chance of getting movement titles for the Büttner symphonies?  I just downloaded the 1st and it seems kind of strange that there are 3 files, but there seem to be 4 movements.  I think the first movement and the second movement scherzo run together, but I'm not sure.

Dundonnell

I am uploading a performance of Hans Pfitzner's Symphony in C by the Berlin Philharmonic under Ferdinand Leitner from an old DGG LP never transferred to cd.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 03:01
I am uploading a performance of Hans Pfitzner's Symphony in C by the Berlin Philharmonic under Ferdinand Leitner from an old DGG LP never transferred to cd.

One I have on my r2r tapes, Colin - wish I'd had the LP!  It's easy enough to get the Symphony in C sharp, Op.36a, but of course this one is in C, as you say, and is Op.46. It's been sitting on my 'wants list' ever since I made the tape-recording back in the late 70s(?).  ::)

So - many, many thanks, greatly appreciated!  :) :)

eschiss1

Re Büttner - wondering that myself, was trying without much success. They should be public domain scores in the US and Canada so someone might even scan the first editions in to a website...

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 09:47
Quote from: Dundonnell on Tuesday 06 December 2011, 03:01

One I have on my r2r tapes, Colin - wish I'd had the LP!  It's easy enough to get the Symphony in C sharp, Op.36a, but of course this one is in C, as you say, and is Op.46. It's been sitting on my 'wants list' ever since I made the tape-recording back in the late 70s(?).  ::)

So - many, many thanks, greatly appreciated!  :) :)

Happy to make it available to you :)

eschiss1

One more thing about the Hiller symphony in E minor- an autograph copy of the opus 67 symphony, signed "Offert à Monsieur Fétis / en souvenir de / Ferdinand Hiller / Cologne 20/4/60", is in the Royal Library of Brussels. (source RISM.)

TerraEpon

Any chance that that upload of the Moscheles/Mendelssohn piece could be made in a little easier to DL format?