German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

black

There are quite a few works by Leo Spies on YouTube.
You may find them on the channel of WatchBlueSkies.

jowcol

I've posted the Piano Concerto by German composer  Johann Cilensek.

Wikipedia Entry (machine translated)
Johann Cilenšek (* 4. December 1913 in Grossdubrau; † 14. December 1998) was a German composer and university teacher as well as a vice-president of the academy of the arts of the GDR.

Johann Cilenšek was born 1913 as a son of a porcelain turner in the Saxonian Grossdubrau ( close Bautzen) and visited from 1924 to 1933 the high school in Bautzen. 1933 it was committed to 1934 in the porcelain factory Hermsdorf to the realm work service and worked. it studied 1935 to 1939 at church-musical Institut in Leipzig with Johann Nepomuk David (composition) and Friedrich Högner (organ). it joined 1937 the NSDAP . From beginning of war 1939 to end of war 1945 it was conscripted as Schleifer and turners.

1945 joined Cilenšek of the KPD and 1946 the SED . He became a teacher and 1947 professor for clay/tone set and composition at the Thuringian national conservatoire. It was 1951 to 1956 and 1964 to 1966 of chairmen of the regional organization Thuringia of the federation of German composers, in addition since 1961 member of the academy of the arts. Starting from 1966 it was as successors of Werner Felix Rektor of the university for music Franz Liszt Weimar until 1972. 1978 he became vice-president of the academy of the arts. Cilenšek emeritierte 1980.
It received the national price and 1983 the patriotic earnings/service medal to 1970.

Cilenšek composed five symphonies, piano concerts, a concert for organ and caper orchestra, concerts for solo instruments and orchestra, silhouettes for 15 solo strike ago, a mosaic for large caper orchestra, Sonaten, choir works and songs.

Note:  If there is more than one piano concerto of his (as implied above) I'd appreciate any help identifying which one.

JimL

Somebody needs to translate the German/English translations of whatever the translating program Wikipedia uses into comprehensible English.  I'm reasonably sure that several of the "it"s should be "he".

jowcol

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 09 February 2012, 16:12
Somebody needs to translate the German/English translations of whatever the translating program Wikipedia uses into comprehensible English.  I'm reasonably sure that several of the "it"s should be "he".

I've been puzzled by auto German-English translations of articles about a German rock/psychedelic band I like-- the articles kept mentioning "Skirt Music"

It wasn't until later I found out Rock in German means skirt.

Auto-translation can be pretty hairy.  My favorite was a translation between Russian and English that started with "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" and came out "the vodka is good, but the meat is rotten"

JimL

Now, that's a classic! >" ;D"<

pianoconcerto

I believe the pianist's name is Dieter Zechlin since he also recorded the work on CD.

Quote from: jowcol on Thursday 09 February 2012, 13:56
Johann Cilensek, Piano Concerto
Dieter Techlin, Piano
Weimar State Orchestra
Hermann Abendroth, conductor
Radio Broadcast, Date Unknown

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?yp4i4oexg26zgnl

From the collection of Karl Miller

[pianoconcerto: you must post replies like this in the appropriate thread in the Discussion board here, NOT in the Downloads board, which is only for posts and replies which have download links. Mark]

eschiss1

Wikipedia isn't a program (well, it is a site and does use Wiki-software, but -) Wikipedia editors use translation software and have the responsibility to go back and check their work, or else to put a tag on it that basically says "this needs further work, please come check it" and notifies people who are more fluent in both languages   that their assistance is desired. (Yes, the autotranslation of "streichquartett" was... er... erm.)

jowcol

Quote from: pianoconcerto on Thursday 09 February 2012, 19:03
I believe the pianist's name is Dieter Zechlin since he also recorded the work on CD.

Quote from: jowcol on Thursday 09 February 2012, 13:56
Johann Cilensek, Piano Concerto
Dieter Techlin, Piano
Weimar State Orchestra
Hermann Abendroth, conductor
Radio Broadcast, Date Unknown

From the collection of Karl Miller

[pianoconcerto: you must post replies like this in the appropriate thread in the Discussion board here, NOT in the Downloads board, which is only for posts and replies which have download links. Mark]

Agree with Mark's comments, but also HAPPY that your have offered more info.  I'll edit that post.

semloh

The Wiki entry for FRITZ REUTER is quite substantial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Reuter

... and it's written in scholarly English!  :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Thursday 09 February 2012, 23:53

Ehh....that's the philosopher that is rather than the composer ;D ;D

Reuter the composer's dates are 1896-1963.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 10 February 2012, 00:06
Quote from: semloh on Thursday 09 February 2012, 23:53

Ehh....that's the philosopher that is rather than the composer ;D ;D

Reuter the composer's dates are 1896-1963.

Ah ..... I wondered who'd be the first to spot that!  ;D ;D ;D
Interesting life though!

semloh

OK - the right person this time! Just a little information...

Fritz Reuter (Composer, Arranger)
Born: September 9, 1896
Died: July 4, 1963

Fritz Reuter was a famous German composer, musicologist and pedagogue. He taught in Leipzig. Among his pupils was the conductor Lars Erik Larsson (1908-1986). His son is the conductor Rolf Reuter, and his grandaughter is the violist Sophia Reuter (b 1971).

His Sonata for Violin & Piano in E minor (1953) can be heard at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa62oT5DRFU

Featuring:
Barbara Reuter-Rau - violin (daughter)
Rolf Reuter - piano (son)
-- recorded from rare Mono LP made in GDR (DDR, 1965) --

The site adds that:
Fritz Reuter's teacher were Robert Teichmüller, Hermann Strauben, Stephan Krehl, Hugo Riemann und Arnold Schering and Hermann Abert.

Prof. Dr. Fritz Reuter was the teacher in music theory /conducting of Franz Konwitschny !! and Gerhard Wohlgemuth (composer), Georg Trexler (composer).

For bio of grandaughter, Sophia Reuter - http://www.suonidarte.de/sophiareuter.htm

jowcol

I have posted the Piano Concerto (don't know if there is more than one) by Willhelm Killmayer.

Wikipedia Entry:

Wilhelm Killmayer (born 21 August 1927 in Munich) is a German composer of classical music and an academic.

Wilhelm Killmayer studied conducting and composition from 1945 to 1951 in Munich at Hermann Wolfgang von Waltershausen's Musikseminar. At the same time, he was enrolled at the Munich University where he studied musicology with Rudolf von Ficker and Walter Riezler, and German studies.[1] He was a private student of Carl Orff from 1951 and was admitted to his master class at the Staatliche Musikhochschule in 1953. He was a scholar at the Villa Massimo twice, in 1958 and 1965/66.[2]

Killmayer was a teacher of music theory and counterpoint at the Trappsches Konservatorium in Munich from 1955. He was a conductor of the Bavarian State Opera's ballet from 1961 to 1964. From 1973 to 1992 he was a professor of composition at the Hochschule für Musik.[2] Among his students are Max Beckschäfer, Sandeep Bhagwati, Rudi Spring and Laurence Traiger.

Killmayers first composition was Lorca-Romanzen after Federico García Lorca, premiered at the Donaueschingen Festival.[3] In 1954 he composed a Missa brevis, which was recorded and reviewed:

"Young (29) Munich-born Composer Wilhelm Killmayer's Missa Brevis ripples with exciting, shifting rhythms and rises skillfully to a colorful series of blasting choral climaxes occasionally more reminiscent of the bandstand than the choir.[4]"

Killmayer composed three symphonies called Fogli (1968), Ricordanze (1968/69) and Menschen-Los (1972/73, revised 1988). He composed other orchestral works such as Nachtgedanken (1973), and music for chamber orchestra, The woods so wilde (1970), Schumann in Endenich (1972) and Kindertage (1973). His stage works La Buffonata (1959/60) and Yolimba (new version 1970) are based on texts by Tankred Dorst.[5] For the 20th anniversary of the Münchener Kammerorchester Killmayer composed in 1970 Fin al punto for string orchestra, which premiered in 1971, conducted by Hans Stadlmair.[6] He wrote about this work:

"The calm already contains the catastrophe. Out of the calm grows the movement that drives itself to the furthest extreme of its powers, where it collapses. It is the point at which one gives up, beyond which one can escape into the open.[7] "

Interested in poetry and the voice, he composed Lieder, three cycles of Hölderlin-Lieder based on Friedrich Hölderlin (1980s), song cycles based on Joseph von Eichendorff (1991), Georg Trakl (1993 and 1996) and Peter Härtling (1993), and ballads such as Heinrich Heine's Ali Bey (2006) and Eduard Mörike's Der Feuerreiter (2007).[5]

Dundonnell

Killmayer ??? ::)

My heavens :o We are going deep into Modernism now ;D ;D

jowcol

Quote from: Dundonnell on Friday 10 February 2012, 14:56
Killmayer ??? ::)

My heavens :o We are going deep into Modernism now ;D ;D

Prepare to be assimilated.... resistance is futile.  Bwah-hah-hah-hah!