German Music Folder

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 27 July 2011, 21:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Many thanks to Holger for the upload of a number of works by Max Butting :)

allison

Second the Thanks very much, wish all the symphonies were somehow available.

eschiss1

and other works (have wanted to hear more of Butting's symphonies and quartets etc. since- 2000 or 2001 I think when I first heard of him when doing some inter(library)-loaning. Probably have already said - sorry.)

Holger

Fine to hear all these positive reactions. Butting was a distinguished composer, you'll note his own voice in all these pieces. It's a pity music from the GDR is still neglected so much, and with the de facto exclusion of Butting from current concert life people actually ignore a major German symphonist of his generation in my view.

Recording all ten Butting symphonies (and other orchestral works) would be a fine project for CPO as I think (but at the same time I have little hope - that's not the kind of repertoire they tend to deal with).

Mark Thomas

I've added a new recording of an upbeat Festival Overture by Klughardt taken from a German radio broadcast of last year .

Jacky

Strangely but I can't find much about Ziertz on the net.I wanted to listen more and also to learn about this very interesting Gipsy Concert.Can someone here provide some insight regarding this German woman composer?

Mark Thomas

Klughardt's Lenore Symphony/Symphonic Poem is now available from the Downloads board, too.

jerfilm

Thank you, sir, for the Klughardt pieces.  Good to hear some rare music that gets back to our original purpose....... ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

Mark Thomas

My pleasure, Jerry. I've got a few more to upload over the next few days (although not by Klughardt, more's the pity).

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded a mystery mid-19th century symphony by a, comparatively, mysterious composer: Adolf Reichels' Symphony No.2. The upload post includes all I can glean about the composer's biography and if anyone can add to what we know about Reichel or this Symphony then I'd be very grateful.

Alan Howe

The Klughardt Lenore upload is very impressive - both as a piece and a performance. Very Wagnerian in the first movement especially, I thought. Let's hope cpo bring it out...

Many thanks, Mark!

allison

Thank you Mark, I believe that German romantic music may be my favorite, and the more obscure the better!

mjkFendrich

Quote from: Jacky on Friday 25 May 2012, 11:01
Strangely but I can't find much about Ziertz on the net.I wanted to listen more and also to learn about this very interesting Gipsy Concert.Can someone here provide some insight regarding this German woman composer?

.. perhaps you missed the second "i" - the correct spelling is "Zieritz"  :o

For a short overview in English you might have a look at the following URL
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2001/May01/zieritz.htm

There are several more interesting articles in German (you might try a translation with Google)
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Zieritz_G/lebenslauf_1.html
http://www.nmz.de/artikel/ich-bin-ein-einzelkrebs

If I find enough time I'll provide an English version of the LP backcover text.

Mark Thomas

At Allison's request I've uploaded Anton Urspruch's Symphony. It's a fine work in many ways but, for me at least, it outstays its welcome. I can't help feeling that there's a superb 35 minute symphony hidden within this 50 minute shell. Alan, and maybe others, will disagree I know but I generally don't have the patience for "heavenly length".

britishcomposer

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Friday 25 May 2012, 17:13
I've uploaded a mystery mid-19th century symphony by a, comparatively, mysterious composer: Adolf Reichels' Symphony No.2. The upload post includes all I can glean about the composer's biography and if anyone can add to what we know about Reichel or this Symphony then I'd be very grateful.

Someone has uploaded the same performance at youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGiBVtwDlsI&feature=plcp
Perhaps he knows more about the composer?