Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

Oou! What?

I checked my uploads contents.
  But my computer didn't found virus.
  How about other members?

Atsushi

britishcomposer

If no one else had a problem I will accept it as a strange peculiarity of my Anti-Virus-Software and (sadly) do without this particular download.  ;)

eschiss1

could be a "mimetype" thing...

Dundonnell

It is truly excellent to now be able to hear Klaus Egge's Symphony No.5 :) (thanks, once again, to shamokin)

With the Symphony No.3 "Louisville Symphony" available for download from Amazon that gives us a complete set of the Egge symphonies. Egge was another fine Norwegian composer missing out to date on an integral symphonic set.

Strange that BIS was prepared to record all the Saeverud symphonies yet won't do the same for their own Hilding Rosenberg :o

vandermolen

Quote from: britishcomposer on Thursday 15 September 2011, 21:35
Klaus Egge (1906-1979)

Symphony No. 1 Lagnadstonar Op 17 (1942)

Filharmoniska sällskapets orkester, Oslo.
Odd Grüner-Hegge, conducting (1958)

Broadcast by Swedish Radio SR2 on 19 July 2011, Egge's birthday.
According to vandermolen this recording was released by Phillips on LP but has never been released on CD.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8bh0k1v3snmjkfs

Thanks so much for downloading this - the best recorded performance of a great work. Actually it was the Karsten Andersen, Bergen version which appeared on Phillips (now on an Aurora CD). The Gruner-Hegge was once available on a Norwegian HMV LP but never on CD.

JollyRoger

Quote from: Holger on Sunday 31 July 2011, 09:31
On request, I have uploaded a recording of Geirr Tveitt's Symphony No. 1, subtitled "Christmas Eve". Ole Wiggo Bang is conducting the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra.
http://www.mediafire.com/?m0ekqzce1ar3zh4

The recording is taken from the radio, that's clearly not in best sound quality but the piece is magnificent in my view, though it's certainly not a symphony in the conventional sense. It shows Tveitt's extraordinary command of colours and atmosphere and it would be very much worth a modern recording if you ask me.

Regards,
Holger

!
This was the perfect gift for the holiest of days...thanks for posting it. I love Tveitt's music.

britishcomposer

Quote from: Amphissa on Sunday 18 December 2011, 23:55
Johan Svendsen
Norwegian Folksong Suite

Moscow Radio Symphony
Nicolai Golovanov, conductor

From a 1949,  7" 78 RPM record D 00794

Amphissa, I suppose the piece is called 'Norwegian Folksong Suite' on the LP, however the exact title is:

Ifjol gjætt' e gjeitinn (Last year I was tending the goats), Op. 31 (1874)

Amphissa

I think this is a music title that would not sell many records in the U.S. haha

semloh

Many thanks for the uploads of music by Monrad-Johansen - interesting music and a totally new name to me.  :)

This must be the week for unpleasant composers, though, having had uploads of music by John Powell, because according to Wiki:

During the German occupation of Norway in the course of World War II, Johansen supported the collaborationist government of Vidkun Quisling, and during the period of 1942-1945 was a member of the Nazi-appointed Kulturting (Cultural Council).

britishcomposer

Thank you so much for the Symphonic Fantasy by Monrad-Johansen, Sicmu!  :D :D :D
My recording from a broadcast was done in 1994 I think and I know the work quite well - apart from the last minute: due to the news broadcast they had faded out after about 18 minutes. Wonderful to have this complete after so many years!  ;D

Sicmu

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 09:54
Many thanks for the uploads of music by Monrad-Johansen - interesting music and a totally new name to me.  :)

This must be the week for unpleasant composers, though, having had uploads of music by John Powell, because according to Wiki:

During the German occupation of Norway in the course of World War II, Johansen supported the collaborationist government of Vidkun Quisling, and during the period of 1942-1945 was a member of the Nazi-appointed Kulturting (Cultural Council).

Yep and Gesualdo was a murderer but I like him a lot ! Like Pettersson I don't think music makes people better.

I also have an overture by Groven and a piece by Svendsen from the same LP if anybody is interested ( The Symphony by Egge is available on CD).

erato

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 09:54

And that's the reason his son took his mothers name, Kvandal.

semloh

Quote from: Sicmu on Wednesday 11 January 2012, 15:40

Yep and Gesualdo was a murderer but I like him a lot ! Like Pettersson I don't think music makes people better.

And yet the claim that the arts 'improves' people is often used to persuade governments and businesses to provide fundng, and appears quite often in academic literature on the value of the arts. If the arts are purely for personal pleasure and don't change us as people then they are no better than watching a favourite sport - a game of football, say, or a darts match.  I'm sure Colin's son's reaction to the Gothic was more than that. Doesn't 'good' music educate our emotions, heighten our sensibilities, and illuminate our understanding of life, love, death, existence and all those metaphysical things which - some might claim - are beyond words? This is certainly what many claim, not least the afficianados of opera, including, and perhaps especially, the operas of Wagner.

Maybe there's a difference between these arguments as they apply to composers and as they apply to listeners...

Hmmm...  it's a complicated issue. ::)

JimL

Nephew.  You mean Colin's nephew.

Dundonnell

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 12 January 2012, 00:55
Nephew.  You mean Colin's nephew.

To be strictly accurate greatnephew ;D He is the grandson of my late brother.