Finnish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 30 July 2011, 06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

eschiss1

depending on your platform, there are some good m4a to mp3 converters out there - this was discussed in another thread I think... I have a Mac and use Switch for some conversion, iTunes for some and "Max" for  yet others.

Mark Thomas

There are lots of utilities out there which will convert between audio formats and this discussion here might be the place to start looking.

Dundonnell

I request the Kalevi Aho Symphony No.15, Tapiola seconds my request and up it pops within hours ;D ;D

Can this get any better ??? ???

The words "Thank You" now seem such a feeble expression of gratitude ;D

Dundonnell

The orchestra for the premiere of the Aho Symphony No.15 was actually the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra (rather than the BBC Concert Orchestra as indicated on the Downloads section thread).

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the Radio concert upload, Atsushi. What an enjoyable programme. I've never heard of either Kuula or Schantz - does anybody have any more by either of these gentlemen?

Latvian

QuoteThanks for the Radio concert upload, Atsushi. What an enjoyable programme. I've never heard of either Kuula or Schantz - does anybody have any more by either of these gentlemen?

Yes, I have a few works of Kuula's. I'll try to get them uploaded in the near future. Never heard of Schantz, though -- thanks, Atsushi!

lechner1110

Hi, I also heard name of Schantz first time.
  But, this is very good romantic style music, in my view. :)

Mark Thomas

I do agree. There's a little flesh on the bones here.

eschiss1

Toivo Kuula? I have his fragmentary "Jupiter" symphony conducted by Panula- have to check that that's a broadcast and not a commercial recording... the other things I have by him are probably from CDs. There's a couple of pages about him including this one, also Wikipedia and others... ... wait. Since we're talking about Polish music and Kuula is Finnish, not Toivo Kuula. *goes to look what is being spoken  of. Sorry! :) ...*

*blink* ok, unconfused... Polish, Finnish... and yes, same recording of the Jupiter symphony- I'll see if the other things I have (Ostrobothnian suite, his best-known work, and Sorrow from opus 2, also Orjan Poika- mostly from BBC broadcasts...) are from commercial CDs or no...
(Ok, I seem to have a different recording of Orjan Poika op.14 than the one on Alba, a longer one by a minute - 25.5 as opposed to 24 min. ... hrm. perhaps none of these recordings are, in fact...)

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the bio and work list, Eric. It's the same recording (Panula) of the Jupiter Symphony fragment which Atsushi has uploaded. Of course, I realised that I'd come across Kuula before, once I saw your mention of the South Ostrobothnian Suites.

BFerrell

Alba have released two CDs recently of major works by Toivo Kuula (100% Finnish) and another CD from Dutton Epoch.  He was a challenger to Sibelius until shot in a political dispute in 1918. He was a fine Romantic nationalist composer. I have no idea why he is on the Polish page.

eschiss1

he is here, he's on the Finnish Downloads page or so I think I see which is correct.

Mark Thomas

Oops. my mistake. As you can see, I've moved these last few posts from the Polish thread to the Finnish one.

lescamil

Quote from: Tapiola on Friday 16 December 2011, 14:22
Here's a video download of Uljas Pulkkis' new piano concerto.

http://areena.yle.fi/video/1319651996073

Unfortunately, it is no longer available. Can someone please reupload that got it?