Finnish Music

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 30 July 2011, 06:29

Previous topic - Next topic

BFerrell

I am sorry. The composer sent me the link a few weeks ago. YLE must not keep it up very long.  :-[

BFerrell

Thank you! Glad to see something besides Havergal Brian.

isokani

There are more Raitio piano pieces as well. Someone will have to learn them, though, before we get something to listen to. I might have a go ...

eschiss1

someone's been posting Havergal Brian here? I didn't know he even had a Finnish connection.

BFerrell

Actually, I thought this website was dedicated to Havergal Brian ::). So shouldn't he be mentioned in  every post?

eschiss1

Ah, ok - now I do see your mistake. No, no, you want Havergalbrian.org. Sorry to keep you any further. See you there!

lescamil

Quote from: Tapiola on Friday 16 December 2011, 14:22
Here's a video download of Uljas Pulkkis' new piano concerto.

http://areena.yle.fi/video/1319651996073

Can someone please reupload this? I would very much like to see his new piano concerto! I have heard his other piano concerto and it is very good! I can provide a video of it if anyone wants in return for this one.

BFerrell

lescamil, I just sent you and email.

JimL

To whomever uploaded the Merikanto Symphony #1 (I think it was Shamokin88): I don't know if there's anything you can do about it, but it sounds like it was taped over something else that didn't completely disappear.  In the quieter passages you can distinctly hear some sort of bleed from another work, or a different page from this one.  It's particularly noticeable at the pianissimo passage at the end of the first movement.  The symphony, BTW, appears to be in B minor.

Dundonnell

Many, many thanks to Atsushi for making it possible to hear one of Vaino Raitio's expressionist works from the 1920s when he appears to have been influenced by composers like Scriabin :)

lechner1110

I agree your impression, Colin.  Works by Raitio and Pingoud are always interesting for me :D

BFerrell

This is a somewhat limited view of Raitio. Up until 1918 he was quite the romantic. After 1930 he was similar to Uuno Klami, but more "nationalistic". For fuller picture hear the Symphony and the Ondine CD of shorter pieces. So, Swans and Moonlight etc. represent only 12 years,similar to A. Merikanto.

Alan Howe

Quote from: A.S on Thursday 17 November 2011, 12:56
By the way, I listened Heino Kaski's symphony today.
This is wonderful symphony!  There are filled with many beautiful melodies!
One of lovely Finnish symphony for me! Thanks :D

You are right, Atsushi! Lovely, lovely music - with a lot of Sibelius in the mix, but very beautiful, especially in the slow movement. A wonderful surprise!

Jacky

:-[ :-[ I am listening for the first time to Suolahti's sinfonia piccola.Amazing!Except Carl Fletsch I don't know another "boy composer".The orchestration is also very very fine!
I "learned' finnish music thanks to Karl Miller,but this work is new to me.I also recommend for further listening the Morceau de concert for harp and orchestra by Vaino Hainnikainen and the concerto for violin,cello and orchestra by Raitio.Who can upload some more unsung finns? ::)

JimL

I've been trying to no avail to get a look at the score of Linko's 2nd PC.  IMSLP doesn't have it and there isn't a whole lot of information on him to begin with.  Any suggestions?