Moszkowski on BBC Radio 3

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 18 November 2009, 19:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Moszkowski is BBC Radio 3's Composer of the Week next week, which means five hour long programmes Monday-Friday with a repeat later in the day. As far as I can tell there are no new performances - everything comes from CDs.

I have nothing at all against Moszkowski and always find his music enjoyable, but he is surely a second-rater amongst unsungs compared with the likes of Raff, Draeseke and [insert your favourite nominee for unsung greatness here]. How perverse of the BBC to ignore, say, the 125th anniversary of Raff's death a couple of years ago and then give over 10 hours in one week to Moszkowski!

Bitter? Me?

Alan Howe

No, it's simply random programming. The thinking is that beyond the canon of great composers there are simply second-raters, from whom one might choose anyone for such a series of programmes. The fact that there are great composers beyond the accepted canon wouldn't enter their thinking.

Steve B

Mark,I know we have agreed to differ on this( :)); but running down Moszkowski when we have the (RARE) joy of a whole week of programmes, with biographical info. too; AND complete performaces of the Violin and Piano Concerti into the bargain. To me Raff is not a greater composer or a "greater" composer. I find him overestimated on these forums, am afraid; though i am fond of him.. Draeseke, I DO agree with you; the "Symphonia Tragica" is deep, dark, and, possibly great/"great"(the quotation marks indicate shorthand for the usual debates on what is greatness in art.) I remember the nub of it, for you, was that Moszkowski's emotion was somewhat manufactured or synthetic(correct if i misremember:)). But we obviously disagree on what constitutes valid emotional expression in music. To me, the 2 aforementioned concerti are full of the most VALID type of emotion, heartfelt, pulls the heart strings, therefore direct; and they are taughtly constructed, beautiful works, full of memorable ideas, with the slow movement of the VC achieving what, to me (ME ONLY!) is greatness: a depth of ache, in the central section,where everything pauses for a few desolate drumbeats, and then one of the most beautiful in all music melodies(to ME, again) returns. To ME, this is greatness to outdo anything by Raff(sorry:)) and to equal, in its own, equally valid, but different to draeseke's grim emotional, way.

But, as we used to debate so endlessly, and usually with goodwill, and enjoyment, a lot is personal taste.

But u got my gander up re Moszkowski. :) ;) ;D :(

That the BBC is spending a week on one of the most consistently good of the unknown Romantics is marvellous; and, in the bigger than personal scale, we should CELEBRATE Moritz's special week.

Steve

p.s This could lead to a debate on what is "higher" emotion in particualar; not so much "great" art in general. I would take the position, if it moves me, it moves me.....

P.P.S I would (even!)be pleased if Raff was this week's composer :)

Alan Howe

Yep, it's lovely to have Moszkowski. But, with the exception of the VC, I can't place him all that high in the pantheon. Mind you, the VC is a marvellous piece - although no more so than Raff VC1, surely. However, as you say, we can debate this for ever...

JimL

I just hope the performance of the VC is the Hyperion rather than the old Louisville Orchestra one with Rosand and Mester! :)  I wonder if those old LPs have ever been burned to disc?

Alan Howe

My performance is the one on Koch, coupled with Godard's VC2. It's superb.

Mark Thomas

I knew that I was being contentious when I wrote the original post! We've debated the relative merits of various composers over the years and will continue to do so, no doubt. Thanks Steve for taking my Moskowski-bashing in such a generous way. Just for that I won't rise to your Raff-bashing bait. Just this once, mind!  ;)