News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Czech folder

Started by dafrieze, Tuesday 02 August 2011, 23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Thanks to BerlinExpat for the upload of Weinberger's Wallenstein. It's in a recognisably tougher idiom than Schwanda, but the composer obviously never lost the ability to write memorable melodic material. In this he often seems to me to be nearer to Korngold than, say, Schreker, Zemlinsky or Braunfels.

kolaboy

I echo the thanks for this great rarity :)

mikehopf

Yes indeed... a million thanks to Colin ( Berlinexpat) and Lukas for their efforts in bringing Weinberger's wonderful Wallenstein to the website!

Sicmu

I will, I just have to find where it is.

jasthill

Quote from: Elroel on Sunday 24 June 2012, 15:42
Vladimir Sommer (1921-1999) -  Vocal Symphony (version in the English language).

In this folder this symphony was already posted in its original, Czech, form. This magnificent work is beautiful and horrible -text- at the same time. A very intens piece of music. For non Czechs, I believe the English version goes even deeper. So I offer you this version here..

RCA released the lp in 1971, with the LSO, the Ambrosian Singers, the mezzo Nancy Williams and Peter Ustinov as the narrator.
RCA Red Seal LSB 4029. (This was a re-issue of RCA LSC 3181).

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7aw1tps8fnm11q5

The original version is recorded several times, but the English version didn't reach the cd', as I could see.

Is there any possibility you could post the other two compositions from that LP?
Klusák: First Invention
Fiŝer: 15 Prints After Dűrer's "Apocalypse"

Dundonnell

The Axman Symphony No. 5 "Dithyrambic" dates from 1936.

The Kalik Peace Symphony which is, I think, his Symphony No.1 (rather than Symphony No.2), dates from 1926-27.

oleander55

Quite right!  I was looking right at the album and typed "2" instead of "1." And the dates on the Kalik are as listed on the back.  Sorry for the omission!

Elroel

Fiser: 15 Pages & Klusák: Invence I
Jasthill asked for the two other works from this lp. I had to make sure(?) that they weren't made available on cd. I thought I had seen at least 15 Pages somewhere.
As you already might have found out: in the meantime they were posted in the Czech folder

I'm sorry I didn't respond quicker, but I was very busy with other things and also been away for a few days.
Greetz

Elroel

oleander55

I have replaced the links for the Kalik Peace Symphony and the Jirak 5th Symphony with new ones.  I discovered that I had a cartridge dying on me (a Grace F9E) and had to redigitize them to clean up the distortion. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I've not had this happen before!  :-[ the new links require an extra download step for some reason... but... anyway... :P

lechner1110

MVS, Thank you , Fine sound :) :)

JimL

Is there anybody who speaks Czech (or at least understands it) who can get the performer information from Jeremias' Spring Overture?

Actually, I got the conductor, Stanislav Bogunia, and the opus number (9).  I just need the orchestra.  I think it's the Czech (or Czechoslovak) RSO.  Is there anything more or different?

JimL

Surely there MUST be somebody well versed enough in Czech (or other Slavic tongues) to answer my query!

oleander55

Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you!  I'd like for him/her to listen to the introduction to the Matej Symphony #1...  Every bit of information I have on Matej lists his first symphony (1953-55) as being for Soloists, Choir, and large Orchestra.  Not what I hear on the upload.  Also see if it says that the last movement was inspired by Spike Jones! ;D ;D ;D ;D

(What a great piece!)

JimL

Hey, I think I did a pretty good job tracking down the information I have based on nothing more than a sharp ear for languages and my trusty internet.  I'm still not sure if the name of the orchestra is just Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra, or if there is a city name attached to it as well.  It could be that the announcer is saying "The Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra is performing under the direction of Stanislav Bogunia" or "The Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra of Such-and-such is conducted by Stanislav Bogunia".  I just want to know for sure.

Sydney Grew

Quote from: JimL on Saturday 07 July 2012, 01:12. . . I'm still not sure if the name of the orchestra is just Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra, or if there is a city name attached to it as well.  It could be that the announcer is saying . . .  "The Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra of Such-and-such is conducted by Stanislav Bogunia".  . . .

Top marks! The "of such-and-such" part is "v Praze" (pronounced "fpraze") - meaning "of or in Prague."