Czech folder

Started by dafrieze, Tuesday 02 August 2011, 23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Very many thanks Atsushi for the Brendl and Zamrzla uploads. I really appreciate the trouble to which you've gone. Both my recordings were marred by defects.

semloh

Atsushi yes, many thanks for these. ZAMRZLA's Symphonic Suite for Large Orchestra is particularly splendid!  :) :)

I am amazed that these composers are so completely unsung!

jerfilm

I'll second that.  A lovely piece, Atsushi.  Thanks so much.

Jerry

cjvinthechair

Wow - Rudolf Zamrzla take a bow; that's as spectacular as I've downloaded for a good while ! Many thanks !

MikeW

Quote from: cjvinthechair on Friday 01 June 2012, 12:21
Wow - Rudolf Zamrzla take a bow; that's as spectacular as I've downloaded for a good while ! Many thanks !
+1. Just coming to the end of it now.  This is a keeper

lechner1110

You are welcome , all  :)   
  But I must apologize to all.  I failed to record first day program. My record player stopped at  in the middle of last movement by Blodek's symphony ???
I hope someone recorded this program, and will upload in board.

eschiss1

A symphony by Kittl? I have been very curious about his music. A.S., I must thank you again... (or if I haven't done so before, then it's overdue that I do!!!!)

dschfan

Tried to download the Matej Sinfonia Dramatica  (Symphony No 3) shows as locked. Also the Valek Symphony no.12. can someone unlock these, thanks in advance. C

Alan Howe

Many thanks, Atsushi, for uploading the Kittl Symphony No.2. I had only ever read about this work - apparently known as the Jagdsymphonie (Hunting Symphony). It's a very entertaining work with its use of brass suggesting a hunt - certainly a piece that ought to have received a commercial recording by now.

eschiss1

The first two movements of Blodek's flute concerto in E major (uploaded back in November) are Allegro and Adagio (see RISM entry, with incipits of all three movements but no tempo heading- just 2/4 - for the piano reduction.) (Oh- I see- the tempi were already posted - Risoluto-Allegro / Adagio / Molto allegro - Vivace. Hrm. Now I wonder if that's the same piece - *goes to listen*... oops.)

Apparently not- the Blodek concerto uploaded is in D, the one on RISM (well, not on RISM. It's held at Národní knihovna České republiky, Praha . RISM is a database.) is in E. How curious... I wonder if the E major one is complete, a second (or earlier) concerto? Sorry, carry on. (Should delete or move this comment. Erf. Sorry... :( )

JimL

Can you get the tempo indication for the Blodek Symphony's Scherzo movement as well?  If you would be so kind, that is...

eschiss1

RISM doesn't list it, but I can try other legal means. Please ignore the ...er... not going there.
Kittl's symphony no.2 op.9 (movements also via RISM, entry for a pf4h reduction and another for the full score- btw they also list his (first?) symphony in D minor) is
#(Introduction) : Andante - Beginn der Jagd: Allegro agitato
#Jagdrühe: Andante
#Gelage: Scherzo vivace (2 trios)
#Finale. Schluss der Jagd. Allegro con fuoco.
I gather it dates from 1837.
According to APF this recording dates from 1991.
(For some reason APF is no more specific about the Scherzo of the Blodek than "Scherzo"- twice. Sometimes by the way neither is the composer- just writing "Minuet" or "Scherzo" - especially after conductors took a more modern role and exerted more uniform interpretation, I am guessing.)

Mark Thomas

I've uploaded Frank Cooper's hugely enjoyable performance of Dreyschock's Konzertstück for Piano & Orchestra. I made this LP transfer a few years ago; the sound is a little brittle and the Nürnberg orchestra sound undernourished here and there but Frank Cooper's performance is very persuasive. The Konzertstück is for me a much more convincing composition than Dreyschock's vapid Piano Concerto (coupled with Kullack's in Hyperion's RPC series). Anyone who enjoys piano pyrotechnics from the first half of the 19th century will revel in this work which, amidst the fireworks, is haunted by a lovely cantabile melody that I guarantee will stick in your memory - as it has in mine for getting on for forty years!

Mark Thomas

Just to fill out the details for Kovarovic's very attractive Piano Concerto which Atsushi uploaded a few days ago, they are:

Karel KOVAROVIC (1862-1920)

Piano Concerto in F Minor op.6 (1887)
I. Allegro
II. Andante
III. Rondo con variazioni

Sorry, Jim, I can't establish a tempo indication for the third movement.

lechner1110

Mark, Thank you for your supporting about Blodek :)