John Hawkins

Started by Latvian, Wednesday 10 August 2011, 18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Latvian

A fine work -- thanks for sharing!

semloh

Glad you like it, Latvian.... though I would admit it's less imposing than some of the amazing compositions you've given us.

I have a few more details.... it was written in 1980, and performed three times by the Bournemouth SO in 1982 (inc. the first broadcast performance). This performance is from 1989, and the three movements are:
1. Pacific calm
2. Night - upriver to Rotterdam
3. North Atlantic

gpdlt2010

I understand that the BBC broadcast in 1982 the première of this symphony played the Bournemouth SO under Uri Segal. I have been unable to obtain more info.

eschiss1

Hrm. iLink says the conductor in  1989 (I think it means broadcast on December 18 1989) was En Shao.

semloh

Thanks Eschiss1 ... I always wondred what the name was that John Hawkins had written on the CD cover!

eschiss1

hrm. is the Hawkins only a 15 minute piece in 2 files? The BBC description seems to imply (and the description here too) that it's 54 minutes (in the Shao performance) in 3 movements... (1944-2007 or is that a different John Hawkins? hrm.)

semloh

It's a three movement work. As I posted on 11th August, the movements are
1. Pacific calm
2. Night - upriver to Rotterdam
3. North Atlantic

Is the download incomplete? If so, my apologies and I'll upload it again in full. Just let me know.
It was my first ever upload to the web, so maybe I made a mistake! :-[

eschiss1

I think I only see two movements there, but maybe I should check again. You may want to check also, also to check how many people have downloaded etc ...

semloh

I am still working out how to use this - my apologies. I only uploaded the 2nd and 3rd movements of Hawkins'symphony last time. The first movement has now been added, so all three are at the original Mediafire url. ::)

semloh

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 11 October 2011, 01:55
I think I only see two movements there, but maybe I should check again. You may want to check also, also to check how many people have downloaded etc ...

I am most grateful eschiss1 - and my apologies. It's an interesting work by a living composer and I hope members will give it a listen in full.

I have now added the first movement to the upload, so it's finally complete! ::)

eschiss1

is he alive? I checked VIAF and got "1944-2007" but that might be someone else named John Hawkins... ah ok, this one was born 1949 for one thing.

semloh

Yes, definitely alive - he e-mailed me personally, giving permission to upload the symphony.

eschiss1

Thanks! Yep - there are several "Hawkins, John, ..." entries in viaf.org - some 17th and 18th century - and then after that I got confused. But yes- John Hawkins born 1949. (There's another John Hawkins listed born 1949 too, a John Frederick Hawkins, whose field seems to be color vision.)