McEwen viola concerto on Hyperion

Started by eschiss1, Thursday 11 August 2011, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

We're all guilty from time to time of 'topic drift' (myself included), but recent communications to me from forum members have indicated...
1. that there is frustration when topics get hijacked - after all, members have the opportunity to start a new thread if they wish;
2. that incessant 'jokiness' can also be very off-putting.

albion

There's a chance to hear the new Hyperion disc assessed on CD Review (Radio 3) tomorrow around 10.30.

:)

Hector

I have just downloaded the McEwen Viola Concerto and I am so delighted by it I wanted to tell someone. Possibly some of the lukewarm reception it has received on this Forum is because listeners were expecting a more Impressionistic and Scottish folk influenced sound like the Solway Symphony, however the Viola Concerto is from early on in McEwen's career. The sound world is Romantic, but not the kind of Romantic music that takes itself too seriously, after the pugnacious C minor start the first movement calms down to a quiet C major ending and thereafter the concerto is humorously contented with its lot. I found the characterisation of the central movement by the Liner Notes as 'fairy music' a little odd, these must be substantial fairies! It seems to me more of an Intermezzo in the manner of some of the inner movements of Brahms' sonatas and symphonies. I did wonder if the orchestra had fully comprehended some of the intricate interplay in this movement, at times the entwined musical lines don't quite meet up as phrase follows phrase. That is to be hypercritical, the overall standard of playing is highly professional. Despite there being no obvious Scottish influence the main theme of the finale does sound very British to me although I am struggling to discern why. 

I find this a dramatic, melodic and well constructed piece of music idiomatically written for viola and orchestra, and more to the point, I find very emotionally engaging.

matesic

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm keen to hear anything by Scotland's greatest composer (when I suggest this people often seem sceptical but then can't think of a plausible alternative). In their string quartet cycle the Chillies unaccountably omitted the 7-movement Nugae from 1917 (SQ No.5 in New Grove) so I put a rendition on imslp, just for tasters.

Mark Thomas

I echo Matesic's thanks - this work had completely passed me by. It's now safely bedding down on my hard disk!

FBerwald

I was surprised when I realized that the Solway Symphony was his 5th. Does anyone have any idea about his other symphonies or perhaps other concertos. Sadly I can't find a work list of this composer.

eschiss1

Did the Chilingirian Quartet finish their cycle? I'm not sure they did. In 3 volumes they recorded 10 of 17 (plus 2 unnumbered, apparently) quartets- was there a 4th volume?... (or are fully _nine_ of the 17+2 quartets missing? Ow.) (Yes, I know it's been 14 years since volume 3. ... ... Hrm.)
Maybe they intended to save Nugae for a disc that never did get released?

eschiss1

Also, one of the other symphonies (A minor, 1895-99) exists in a modern edition (see http://hdl.handle.net/1842/7703. See the downloadable PDF on the left side of the page, too.) It contains a partial list of compositions on page 25 (as listed by the composer from an inventory of manuscripts sent, not meant to be a full list, but still intriguing.)

matesic

Wikipedia lists over 100 works but just one other symphony (the A minor). Goodness knows what else remains to be discovered. Any Scots reading this post..?

eschiss1

btw the symphony in A minor relates to the string quartet of 1895/99, if that's not already known to fans of the composer... (but originally had a 5th movement, discarded, which became "Coronach".)

Also Manuscript collection list (all items linked with McEwen found @ U Glasgow).

eschiss1

I tweeted them a question. Hrm. Now it occurs to me that maybe this wasn't the best time, since--well- are they even playing now given that they may be in the process of choosing a new cellist, or...?? ... I don't know :(..
As to the viola concerto (sorry!!!! :( ), does it seem a work that will be recorded again or just the once on Hyperion?...

Alan Howe

To return to the Viola Concerto: I was hoping to revise my previous lukewarm opinion....but no, I still find the piece promises far more than it delivers. Which, I'm sorry to report, I find the case with most of McEwen's music. I'd say the best Scottish composer was probably born later than those covered by UC's remit. It's definitely not McEwen!

FWIW, I'd say the best piece of romantic Scottish music is Hamish MacCunn's The Land of the Mountain and the Flood. I can hear it my mind's ear as I type...

eschiss1

A question that could get its own topic though only if people remember "reasons, reasons!!" or similar. (And does Eugen d'Albert count for this nationality? In the event, a quick look at the lists on Wikipedia suggest that the competition probably isn't -that- thin, even with "flourished-in-a-reasonable-range-of-1915-or-earlier" or such. Even if I still wish for the days when we still allowed discussion of William Brocklesby Wordsworth, e.g., here.)

matesic

I didn't spot any more symphonies in the U.of Glasgow manuscript collection, which may be all that survives of his unpublished works (quite enough I should think!). So why should he designate Solway No. 5? I suspect it could have been his publisher's idea.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI still find the piece promises far more than it delivers
Oh really? I thought it a surprisingly strong and well put together work on first hearing, but maybe that initial impression will be revised downward as time goes by.