Miaskovsky - some guidance needed

Started by albion, Friday 12 August 2011, 17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Christopher, for the most wonderful Glazunov, get your hands on Victor Tretyakov's passion reading of the Violin Concerto in a.  My favorite violin concerto......

Jerry

Alan Howe

....or Serebrier's recently-released set of Glazunov's concertos on Warner.

Taneyev

About Glazunov's concerto, no better than early Oistrakh IMO.

Latvian

Glazunov Symphony #5 with Konstantin Ivanov! Available in the past in various LP incarnations, but I don't know if it's on CD.

eschiss1

Ivanov's recording of Miaskovsky's symphony 5 was very good, too. Better than Svetlanov's, iirc. (Come to think of it, if Downes' recording on Marco Polo of Syms. 5 and 9 is still available, that's good to get... oh wait, we've left that topic.)

JimL

Ah yes, Siegfreid, the old Miaskovsky mutating into Glazunov trick!  That's the second most often used one in the book!

eschiss1

JimL

Starker!  Zis is KAOS!  Ve don't mutate composers here!

semloh

I know this started with the symphonies in mind, but I'd like to recommend the Sinfoniettas (Russian Disc, Svetlanov) which sit well alongside the magnificent 21st Sym.

vandermolen

Miaskovsky highlights:

Symphony No 16 (wonderful slow movement) commemorates an air disaster.

Symphony No 6 - a sprawling epic but with some wonderful moments (beautiful flute passage in trio of the scerzo - one of my favourite moments in all music - deeply moving + the choral finale - wonderful.  I was so privileged to hear this live in London and even got to chat to the charming conductor (Jurowski) about it during the rehearsals.

No 3 (influence of Cesar Frank)

No 15 (look out for Kondrashin's fine recording) No 17 (in a Gauk box on Brilliant but the Svetlanov is good too)
No 21 (Ormandy/Gould/Measham)
No 24 and 25 (together on Naxos)
No 27 - deeply moving, the dying composer's response to those who had condemned his music in 1948 (Alto or Chandos - sadly the Gauk version did not appear in the Brilliant boxed set)

JimL

I can't believe more people don't plump for #5, a wonderfully haunting, albeit rather Sibelian work.  As Amphissa has pointed out, the opening theme has a motive that brings to mind 'Lara's Theme' from Jarré's score to Dr. Zhivago.

vandermolen

Quote from: JimL on Thursday 25 August 2011, 06:37
I can't believe more people don't plump for #5, a wonderfully haunting, albeit rather Sibelian work.  As Amphissa has pointed out, the opening theme has a motive that brings to mind 'Lara's Theme' from Jarré's score to Dr. Zhivago.

Must give it another listen - I have the old series Olympia CD.

semloh

JimL - yes, I too went and had another listen, and I agree that the 5th is a beauty. And, that theme Amphissa mentioned is so evocative of old Russia and its changing landscape, at least for an old romantic like me!

eschiss1

Have read poor reviews of Svetlanov's take on no.5 if I recall and have to agree. Too slow.  Downes on Marco Polo is one of several good recordings though (and his recording premiered- I think; such claims should always be careful on principle :) - no.9 in E minor, another really lovely, passionate symphony.)

eschiss1

If you want to hear Myaskovsky's 2nd symphony, the Czech station Rozhlas D-Dur (Rozhlas) will be broadcasting it tomorrow morning at 3:38 am and again at 7:38 pm Eastern standard time US 8/26 (more locally European time at 9:38 am 8/26 and again at 1:38 am on 8/27) in Gottfried Rabl's recording for the Orfeo label.  Early (1911) work, long (45-ish minutes), but one of my favs (have heard that recording once or twice, know it mostly from other recordings). Enjoy if you catch it ! (They have a webstream - iTunes/mp3 - several streams, last I checked- or I wouldn't mention it, since it seems to me actually hearing one of his works you haven't heard yet, even an earlier one, well-played as I recall this one is here..., is the best advice of all, or at least- part of it.)