Luigi Mancinelli's Scene Veneziane

Started by alberto, Thursday 12 March 2015, 10:11

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

No one -if I remember well- has up today named the "Scene Veneziane" (Venetian Scenes-1889) by Luigi Mancinelli (1848-1921), in its time also a well known conductor.
Mostly in the first number ("Carnevale") the very brilliant scoring -it seems to me-allows to detect influences on the Respighi of the "Pines" (or, in general, the symphonic poems).
There is since some time (besides excerpts on YT) a Naxos recording by F.La Vecchia and the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma (which, I report belatedly, and with much regret, has been disbanded on account of lack of financial support

Alan Howe

That's sad news about the Rome Symphony Orchestra, Alberto. Desperate, in fact.

Gareth Vaughan

A very serious loss indeed. I am alarmed and despondent.

eternalorphea

Yep, Italia's not what it used to be.. I know that from many folks here from the coast who work or live there. Sometimes the old say: "Addio bel passato.." Once Croatian major seaside towns, under unofficial Italian administration via influential people, prided with huge luxurious theater, if not even two (Spalato, I think), and other important institutions.. After the Croatian National Party from the north 'saved' the people from Italian 'influence' (that had been continuously present in that region over 2000 years), all the cultural heritage, infrastructure, green areas, villas et c. soon was getting ruined more and more.. And that nowadays, after the cultural crisis overcomed, you got flourishing orchestras, lots of youth involved.. and on the other hand this disturbing news about the Rome Symphonics! And Rome was one of the places where the musicians were coming from to these coastal towns and elevated the cultural life here.. What a whim of destiny :(