Dutch Music

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 23 August 2011, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

lechner1110

MVS, Thank you very much for your upload of Vermeulen's 7th. I had been longing for another live performance of  Vermeulen's symphony. Much appreciate :D :D

oleander55

I'm glad to find someone else on earth that likes Vermeulen!  I suppose you have both the Iwaki and the Lucas Vis versions of the 2nd.  The Vis was included in the original LP's of the Donemus "Complete Vermeulen" but dropped for the Ketting version in the CD version... for some reason. 

Christo

Quote from: MVS on Tuesday 29 May 2012, 19:48
I'm glad to find someone else on earth that likes Vermeulen!  I suppose you have both the Iwaki and the Lucas Vis versions of the 2nd.  The Vis was included in the original LP's of the Donemus "Complete Vermeulen" but dropped for the Ketting version in the CD version... for some reason.

I don't know the reason, but I definitely prefer the Vis.

Alan Howe

Many thanks, Atsushi, for the upload of Vermeulen's gorgeously luxuriant Symphony No.1!

Amphissa

Where was this uploaded? I don't find it in the Dutch folder in Downloads. Is it different from the recording I posted in December (along with his other symphonies)?

EDIT -- Oh, I see. There was a separate folder created for Vermeulen outside of the Dutch folder. So, some of those are the same as the recordings I posted to the Dutch folder, but some are different.

MODERATOR -- Wouldn't it make sense to integrate the separate Vermeulen folder items into the Dutch folder? It's hard enough keeping up would nations. If we had a separate folder for every composer, it would be nigh on impossible to keep track.

Quote from: MVS on Tuesday 29 May 2012, 19:48

Christo

BTW, Nietzsche's >Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum< deserves a stronger translation. Think of something more dramatic like:

Without Music - Life, what a cauchemar!

lechner1110

MVS, Thank you very much for symphonies by Vermeulen.
    I didn't know about Iwaki conducts third symphony!  Anyway , they are special recordings to me :D Thank you!

Amphissa

Quote from: Christo on Wednesday 30 May 2012, 20:51
BTW, Nietzsche's >Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum< deserves a stronger translation. Think of something more dramatic like:

Without Music - Life, what a cauchemar!

Life without music would indeed be a nightmare to me, but I've never heard irrtum translated as cauchemar (nightmare). Irrtum is commonly translated as mistake or error.

If Nietzsche had wanted to make the comment more dramatic, wouldn't he have chosen a word like Alptraum? Actually, to me, that would change the meaning altogether. A nightmare is something beyond one's control. However, there is choice when it comes to music. Choosing to live without music is to neglect one's soul, one's spirit. A mistake.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I think Christo is (almost) quoting T.S. Eliot's 'Portrait of a Lady' -

"You do not know how much they mean to me, my friends,   
And how, how rare and strange it is, to find          
In a life composed so much, so much of odds and ends,   
[For indeed I do not love it...you knew? you are not blind!   
How keen you are!]   
To find a friend who has these qualities,   
Who has, and gives          
Those qualities upon which friendship lives.   
How much it means that I say this to you—   
Without these friendships—life, what cauchemar!"   

Christo

Yes, indeed I was.  ;D (And knew it). 8)

Amphissa

You both know as well as I that Eliot and Nietzsche did not share the same geist or getalt.

There is not an emoticon appropriate for this post. More emoticons!

lechner1110

MVS , Thanks so much for your all uploads!  Symphony no.7 by Herman Mulder is a good expressionism influenced work , in my view.  According to M.Herman's site, he composed 15 symphonies!! Very interesting symphonist in 20th century :o

oleander55

Thanks, A.S.!  Hearing Mulder's 7th, and 4th symphonies suggests to me that there might be a real treasure trove in his 15 symphonies.  Wonder why the Dutch have ignored him... :-\

lechner1110

Yes, We can listen some Dutch composers (Vermeulen , Badings...) symphonies by CD today.  But wonder why Mulder's works are almost forgotten?  Anyway thanks a lot ! (Also new symphonies by Chevreuille ;D)

J.Z. Herrenberg

The Dutch couldn't care less about their composers. Even now, state funding to the Nederlands Muziek Instituut is being cut to the bone, so that it won't be able to function as the central repository for the Dutch musical heritage anymore, starting next year.

Shame on my country.