News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dutch Music

Started by jerfilm, Tuesday 23 August 2011, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Don't , or don't now... well, makes little difference at this exact moment (though maybe all the difference in the world, figuratively speaking, for the future. I don't know how the music institute, Concertzender, etc. are funded though. There are different systems in the US (as of relatively recently though) and in the UK. In both it comes down to having -some- sufficient base of public and political support etc. though, but in a different way... anyway. Irrelevant to this thread, I know. Sorry.)

ttle

Quote from: Elroel on Sunday 24 June 2012, 15:25
Guillaume Landré (1905-1968)  - Anagrammen (1960)

Limburgs Symfonie Orkest
André Rieu, conductor

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mfg07vmrwx5m4xi

from lp Donemus DAVS 6703 (1967)

Live recording may 6th,1966

Surely everyone here is already well aware of that, but it might be useful to make it clear that the (in?)famous worldwide star violinist entertainer of the same name is the son of the conductor André Rieu. The son was a violinist in his father's orchestra. Not in this recording, though: he was still a student then.

JimL

I've just listened to the Cyrano de Bergerac Overture by Wagenaar.  A reportory-worthy piece if ever there was such a thing!  Surely as deserving of performance as that worn-out Donna Diana Overture of Reznicek!

eschiss1

You may be glad to know that there are at least three CDs - probably more - of Wagenaar's orchestral music (from Decca in 2003, conducted by Chailly and containing the overture in question- a reissue I think of a 1990 recording; from Etcetera from 2008 I think and from cpo from 2009, which also overlap - both contain his Levenszomer fantasy Op.21 - but which don't have the Cyrano overture. The Etcetera seems to contain mostly later works (e.g. op.48 Elverhoi (1940), op.40 Larghetto for oboe, op.41 Aveux de Phèdre), the cpo earlier ones (both Decca and cpo have op.24 "Saul & David" & op.25 "The Taming of the Shrew".) ) (There was also a 1963? Philips LP with works by Anrooy and Wagenaar (Cyrano & Taming of the Shrew ovs., Dorati among the conductors.))
Just noticing...
(Was he the father or other relative of American composer Bernhard Wagenaar? Hrm.)

JimL

The Taming of the Shrew Overture is just as good.  He also composed a couple of other Shakespeare Overtures, and an opera based on The Merchant of Venice.

Christo

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 02 July 2012, 04:06
(Was he the father or other relative of American composer Bernhard Wagenaar? Hrm.)

The name 'Wagenaar' (the Dutch equivalent of Wagner, meaning wheelmaker) is more common among composers. There is Johan Wagenaar (1862-1941), a member of a Utrecht based family of musicians who are still active in the field (I am from Utrecht myself and met a few of these Wagenaars). And there is Bernard Wagenaar (1894–1971), who was his pupil at one time.

Many sources, my 1980 New Grove included, and copied many times in the internet, accordingly consider Bernard the "son" of Johan. Actually, he is not, and not even a relative. Bernard seems to be stemming from a Wagenaar family in Arnhem, unrelated to the Utrecht clan, even if he did study there.

Thirdly, there is composer Diderik Wagenaar (born 1946) and apparently a grand nephew (if that´s the correct term for it) of Johan Wagenaar.

eschiss1

Ah, thanks. (I used to be very much into etymology (I still think it fascinating and amazing- it's the "very much" that's past tense)- which makes sense, as anyone who's read Tony Attwood on Asperger's Syndrome would understand, I think. But that for elsewhere and elsewhen.)

Elroel

As Echiss1 mentioned, there was a recording on Philips back in the 1960s. Later, probably in the 1970s a number of Philips recordings were re-issued on the Fontana label. (a budget label)
On side 2 of Nº6530 044 you find two overtures by Johan Wagenaar: Cyrano, op 23 and De getemde feeks (The tamed shrew), op 25
It is played by the Residentie Orkest  (of The Hague) with Willem van Otterloo conducting.

On the a-side are Peter van Anrooy's 'Piet Hein' (Dutch Rhapsody). This is based on a very well known  song about the lieutenant-admiral of the Dutch fleet, who lived from 1577-1629).
The same orchestra here, but now with Antal Doráti as conductor
Hendrik Andriessen's Variations on a Theme of Johann Kuhnau is other work. Same orchestra, but again with Van Otterloo.

I'm not sure if these performances ever made it to cd, but if someone is interested in these pieces, I'll find out and event. post them

Elroel

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Elroel on Tuesday 03 July 2012, 09:58
On the a-side are Peter van Anrooy's 'Piet Hein' (Dutch Rhapsody). This is based on a very well known  song about the lieutenant-admiral of the Dutch fleet, who lived from 1577-1629).

OT: And who is buried in Delft's Old Church, round the corner (for me).