Unsung 20th Century Symphonists

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 August 2011, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

As you may have surmised, I'm not big on 20th century composers.  But one that I like is Joseph Ryelandt (1870-1960).
Does anyone have his early symphonies, 1 & 2?  I have 3,4 and 5 along with a Piano Quintet in a......were there more symphonies than 5??

Jerry

eschiss1

CeBeDeM only lists 5 symphonies by Ryelandt (op.16 1897, "Esto vir" in D op. 37 1904, op.47 1908, op.55 1912, op.108 1933.) (I'm almost positive sym. 1 has been recorded... hrm.) Yes- Review of a Jubileum 2-CD set in 2000 that contains a Wilfried Deroo/Stedelijk Conservatorium SO performance (if I interpret correctly) of Ryelandt's 1897 symphony no.1 . also described here http://www.conservatorium-brugge.be/Aktief.html (so guessing the CD set is still available privately from that source) and the work itself http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oeuvre_van_Joseph_Ryelandt here.

Can't find a recording of symphony no2 "Esto vir" of 1904 at the moment. There have been other works recorded besides syms. 1, 3, 4 5 and the quintet - a CD of piano works, a disc available through Amazon.com with the piano quintet and a string quartet also, choral music on Marco Polo, his horn sonata in a collection, choral and vocal music on BIS, and according to allmusic.com also (not sure if this is still available) his violin sonata (ca.1919?) also (another In Flanders' Fields disc from Phaedra, with Victor Legley's viola sonata- a work I've heard on LP; I like Legley's stuff :) - and other chamber works by Belgians.)

JollyRoger

What happened to the prolific Villa Lobos and his (12) symphonies in this thread?
IMHO, missing his symphonies would be a tragedy, especially if you are disenchanted with abrasive modern music in general. The music is very clever, tonal, melodic and not lacking drama.

TerraEpon

Unfortunetly, it IS a tragedy that his Symphnony #5 is missing....

Coincidently, I just listened to the 7th symphony today. I have the whole CPO cycle, it's all really just wonderful, especially #10.