Romantic un?recorded concertos (not the first topic on this one)

Started by eschiss1, Saturday 03 September 2011, 05:08

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

needed an excuse for this list but it's a general enough topic.
Ok, inspired by recent discussion, American (broadly-defined) 19th-early 20th century (not recent Romantic-style, though, even though there's plenty of that and some of it rather good... just trying to keep this briefer...) piano concertos, string concertos, etc. without recent recordings with scores, reductions or parts (hopefully full scores or parts avail. somewhere...) at IMSLP...
*Boyle
*maybe Yon's Concerto Gregoriano (organ and orchestra, pub.1920; Italian composer, emigrated to US, 1886-1943)
*Arthur Foote's recently reconstructed cello concerto (outer movements, that is- the slow movement, arranged, was published at the time)?
*Henry Schoenefeld's violin concerto in D minor op.59 pub.1915? (here in violin/piano score.)

jerfilm

Well, Tobias can certainly fill you in on the violin concertos after 1900.  I have a few American VCs but not sure when they were composed (ie, before or after his huge database).  I can give you some works for cello and orchestra and will try to get at that tomorrow.  Maybe a couple of others.  All in my US Want List......

Jerry

X. Trapnel

I'm very curious to hear the two violin concertos (or any other music) by the violinist Albert Spalding. Also the cello and orchestra version of Charles Wakefield Cadman's A Mad Empress Remembers.

eschiss1

also, apparently according to Dwight's Journal of Music (May 25 1867) there was a Goldbeck Piano Concerto in D - I think he means Robert Goldbeck (1839-1908), German-born (b. Potsdam) but lived mostly in America (from 1857 except for a return to Germany in 1886-1891 and also London in 1899-1903 (source: Baker's, 1919, page 321); died in St. Louis) and directed the Chicago Conservatory from 1871. (Have looked at a few of Goldbeck's piano and choral works at LoC and I'm curious about the concerto...) I see from Giles Enders' list, from the program of the 1885 season, etc. that Goldbeck wrote two- from the list, in G minor and C major (described, this last, as in the manner of Hummel by the New York Times in its 1885 review. Well, retro, but there are worse styles, if the quality of the work is good; and the review noted that the performance was not good enough from pianist or orchestra, if I understand the author, to judge the work properly from anycase). Perhaps that should be 3, since Dwight's Journal describes Goldbeck's concerto as "D major"- none of them seems to have been published in any case?... hrm.

Also from Mr. Enders' list is Frederic Grant Gleason's concerto in G minor. The latter's opera Otho Visconti I have seen excerpts from (again at LoC) and they seem interesting; the piano concerto might be likewise I would hope. I see Horace Nicholl listed, and Arne Oldberg, Miles/Milo Benedict (1886-1931) (Julius' son), and  Florence Price;
Henry Schoenefeld seems to have also written a piano concerto, according to the same list.. :)

(Ah, yes, as noted - One of the concertos in the 'information wanted' section of the site is a concerto I wishlisted at IMSLP, I think- Milo Ellsworth Benedict's (also American...) piano concerto in E minor, op.4, given and perhaps premiered ca.1884 or so by the Boston Symphony (though according to the Musical Yearbook of the United States, possibly only in 2-piano form :) )

X. Trapnel

Blair Fairchild, a French-oriented American (Widor pupil and Paris expat for much of his career), has three works for violin and orchestra.

eschiss1

Fairchild -- and some interesting-looking-to-me other works too (Concerto da Camera, string quartet, etc. (though a violinist I asked about it was less impressed by the quartet, if I recall.))

X. Trapnel

Fairchild, who came from a prominent Boston family, was a career diplomat. From his background, expatriation, and name I've always imagined his music to sound like what a Henry James character might write. 

jerfilm

As threatened, here are some American works for cello and orchestra:

George Boyle (again) - Cello Concerto
George Chadwick (1854-1931)  Fantasy on a Plain Chant for cello and orchestra
Charles Griffes - Cello Concerto; also Concertpiece for cello and orchestra
Ernest Hutcheson - Cello Concerto
Charles Martin Loeffler - Cello Concerto
Bertrom Shapleigh (1876-1939) - Poem for Cello and orchestra

Pretty few and far between.  I would think the Loeffler might be particularly interesting.

Jerry

X. Trapnel

Violin concertos by two more overlooked Americans, Vittorio Giannini and Bernard Wagenaar.

edurban

If I remember correctly, the Loeffler Cello concerto is lost.  I was looking a while ago, though, so this may have changed.  Not in L of C, though, with the other L mss.

Frederick Stock: Violin concerto

Henry Hadley:  Concertpiece for Cello and Orch, Suite Ancienne, vc and string orch

Alfred Pease: Piano Concerto  Lost?  Pease drank himself to death at an early age, I've never found a trace of this piece, which Theodore Thomas conducted, IIRC.

I think there's also a Cello Konzertstuck by Howard Brockway.  I was unable to locate the orchestral ms, although I have the published vc and pf score.

David

eschiss1

also, Frederic Louis Ritter (another immigrant to the US, late 19th C) left several manuscript concertos that are I think at Vassar in the collection he left there. Based on his organ Fantasy and Fugue and some other works that were published, I'm curious... (there are several cases of composers represented at IMSLP- or not!- whose published works contain only a bit of this or that, but a promising this or that :) - but where one sees that there is a manuscript collection at a university ,with one of those "Finding Aid" pages that has a useful worklist and whatnot... suggesting there might be more still...) I think some of these works (Stock's (Friedrich August Stock :) ) violin concerto I think? Not sure- something big of his has, I seem to recall noticing??... there's a string quartet, a symphony, and a cello concerto too though the latter could be lost?- and quite a few other things...- the quartet and symphony are uploaded to IMSLP in score or parts) - are recorded (but still to -my- mind within the spirit of this thread ;) )

Brockway's piano works, chamber works and songs (iirc?) look good in score. The piano concerto, I see, might be lost. I hope some of his "larger works" survive.

The parts to Shepherd's fantaisie for piano and orchestra are with his papers at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City (they have a finding aid page with an inventory like the kind I mentioned above- very interesting... several symphonies also...)

Gareth Vaughan

The score and parts of Stock's Violin Concerto were published by Universal Edition in Vienna and are in Fleisher, together with those of his 1st symphony in C minor (B. & H), and a couple of other orchestral works, but no cello concerto (alas!).
Fleisher has plenty of Hadley's orchestral music, including his Concertino for piano & strings, but no concertante works for cello. The Suite Ancienne is there, but in a purely orchestral arrangement.

edurban

The Hadley mss are in the Lincoln Center library, NYPL.

David

kolaboy

I'm surprised that the Ole Bull concertos have been so thoroughly neglected...

Latvian

John Alden Carpenter's Violin Concerto. I have a piano reduction score and have been intrigued by it for many years. A couple of years ago, Leon Botstein conducted a performance with full orchestra it at his summer music festival at Bard College, but I was unable to attend. Sadly, I haven't found anyone with a recording of the concert -- but perhaps one of these days he'll record it, among the various other rarities he's released...