Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

I checked whether I could upload from my old (but mint) Turnabout LP (Telefunken in Continental Europe) of Rosenberg's 6th Symphony... only to find that has been reissued on CD by Phono Suecia, along with the 3rd. Pity :(
Seems to me that these companies are determined to squeeze out every last drop of profit from the old recordings! >:(

semloh

Thank you for the details concerning the Mehler concerto, eschiss1! Great work. :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Holger on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 09:54
A while ago (shortly after the release of the BIS disc with Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 3&6) I asked BIS whether there are plans to record the rest of Rosenberg's symphonic cycle. Unfortunately, this is not the case, they said that they originally intended to do so but that for 'different reasons' (not specified any further) it wouldn't be possible.

I once got a disc with Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 1&7 from another collector, sadly the files appeared to be damaged so that I cannot help either.

I have written this before but your post just simply confirms it: for some reason Robert von Bahr, the owner of BIS, doesn't appear to like Rosenberg and since what he likes determines what BIS record Rosenberg is not likely to get much of a chance with that company :(

Frankly, I think it deplorable that a company which would like to claim to be the principal Swedish recording company should so blatantly cold-shoulder such a fine composer >:(

However BIS has also left it to the estimable CPO in Germany to record the symphonic cycles of composers such as Kurt Atterberg, Natanael Berg, Wilhelm Peterson-Berger, Ture Rangstrom and Dag Wiren (and shortly Edvin Kallstenius). BIS gave us Hugo Alfven, Karl-Birger Blomdahl, Lars-Erik Larsson and Gosta Nystroem and now seem to be intending to complete Allan Pettersson. If we are ever to get a Rosenberg cycle it will probably have to come from CPO.

The story, from way back, was that a conductor was hired to record some Rosenberg but 'didn't prove suitable'. Sounds implausible to me.

Sicmu

Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 10:43
I checked whether I could upload from my old (but mint) Turnabout LP (Telefunken in Continental Europe) of Rosenberg's 6th Symphony... only to find that has been reissued on CD by Phono Suecia, along with the 3rd. Pity :(
Seems to me that these companies are determined to squeeze out every last drop of profit from the old recordings! >:(

Actually by the time I bought this PhonoSuecia CD with Rosenberg 3+6  ( 15 years ago !) it was the only available recording of these works, so I was very happy to find it : I think it is a good idea to re-release material from the original tapes ( at a special price it is even better !), for instance if Melodiya would do so, a lot of treasures will resurface and become available to everyone.

Holger

Thanks a lot, britishcomposer, for your uploads of Rosenberg's Symphonies Nos. 1&7, so I got recordings of them at last! His Second Symphony was released on CD, one copy is available on Amazon Germany at the moment. I have been thinking about buying it myself but it costs €45 - though it's a rarity I am not sure whether I really want to spend that much on it at the moment.

eschiss1

I have a tape of the LP (and the LP itself, bought at a local booksale) of Rosenberg 2 somewhere and may be able to digitize it (I don't have the digitizing hardware myself- will have to get the stuff together in one place at one time :D . Or see if I can somehow work out how to connect my remaining tape player up to my computer and simulate it, but never have managed it. Maybe Garageband does that but I doubt it! ) (Oh. reread your post. No, ok, digitizing that would -not- be a good idea, except for own use... I'm sure I have some other suitable tapes lying around though- hrm.)

Sicmu

I have the CD with Rosenberg 2 and will upload it :  I assume it is not against the policy of this forum to post discontinued CD's even if used ones are available (and some greedy sellers take advantage of the situation).

Dundonnell

The Rosenberg Symphonies Nos. 1 and 7 now........ :) :) :)

Sometimes I think that I shall wake up and all this will just have been a dream ;D

Thank You!!

shamokin88

Shamokin88 here about Hilding Rosenberg. I have the 8th Symphony in its original context In Candidum although the sound is not especially particularly bright - a "swish" as if a tape was not flush against the playback head.. I have as well the London [Decca] LP of the 3rd [Stockholm PO/Tor Mann] recorded in 1953. Any interest?

Dundonnell

Quote from: shamokin88 on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 19:50
Shamokin88 here about Hilding Rosenberg. I have the 8th Symphony in its original context In Candidum although the sound is not especially particularly bright - a "swish" as if a tape was not flush against the playback head.. I have as well the London [Decca] LP of the 3rd [Stockholm PO/Tor Mann] recorded in 1953. Any interest?

Yes :) :)

semloh

Quote from: Sicmu on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 14:47
Quote from: semloh on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 10:43

Actually by the time I bought this PhonoSuecia CD with Rosenberg 3+6  ( 15 years ago !) it was the only available recording of these works, so I was very happy to find it : I think it is a good idea to re-release material from the original tapes ( at a special price it is even better !), for instance if Melodiya would do so, a lot of treasures will resurface and become available to everyone.

Very good point Sicmu.  :) I was thinking that they ought to make new recordings of these works rather than reissue the old ones - but I suppose that just wouldn't happen. I was also a bit annoyed that I couldn't share my 6th with everyone! :(

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 19:30
The Rosenberg Symphonies Nos. 1 and 7 now........ :) :) :)

Sometimes I think that I shall wake up and all this will just have been a dream ;D

Thank You!!

I'f it's a dream I'm in it with you! Wonderful but scary! :D

Arbuckle

Thanks for Nrs. 1 and 7, Britishcomposer, the Symphony No. 2 was released on Swedish Society Discofil, SCD 1026, along with Marionettes and the Louisville Concerto, various performers.

lechner1110

Rosenberg's Louisville Concerto,  I recorded in this week from Swedish radio.
  I will upload it nearly.

A.S 

Sicmu

I posted Rosenberg' second symphony two days ago but I still can't see it in the download section with the others : is it because it was not approved or it just didn't go through ?