Swedish music

Started by cjvinthechair, Sunday 04 September 2011, 15:43

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

eschiss1

Ok, BC's post having gone through (though the orchestra's name is different now - odd- but again it may have been different on my copy too) - will remove my post here and privatize that file there.

Mark Thomas

Thanks B.C. for the Lindblad Piano Trio. Lovely!

eschiss1

Thanks for the Lindblad trio! (Alfred Einstein wrote, I think, about keys not being interchangeable to the Classical and Romantic imagination the way they are to the modern, and why- anyhow, will listen very soon and this and the Bronsart do I think join some other G minor trios of note...)
According to IMSLP (difficult-to-read, alas, parts...) the movements are
#Allegro
#Scherzo - Allegro molto
#Andante con moto
#Allegro assai

britishcomposer

Eric, do you know if any of his string quartets has been recorded apart from Nos 3 and 6? I am not sure where to search for this. ;)

eschiss1

Hrm. Wasn't aware nos. 3 and 6 had been recorded commercially. "Stråkkvartett" is Swedish for string quartet if that helps one search at all (I hope I have that right... :( ) To find out which works have been studio-recorded, search http://smdb.kb.se to search Swedish radio and TV (use different options to restrict by time, by radio or TV, etc. - with a browser like Google chrome you can translate the page to English and more or less figure out what's going on. Some of the performances you'll turn up will be LP or CD recordings, some will be in-house recordings, that takes further research. That's where I found the Lindblad duo and trio and several other things I requested.)

jerfilm

Adding my thanks, BC, for the Lindblad Trio.   I was starting to wonder when some 19th century music was going to start showing up again in the download section......heehee.......

Having said that, I do want to say that one of the wonderful things about this great forum is that for those of us not "in to" much 20th century music, we can download and sample composers that we might normally dismiss out of hand.  And from time to time, find pieces that appeal to us.  So, thanks, too, to everyone for that.....

Jerry

britishcomposer

I recorded the two Lindblad Quartets many years ago from Euroclassic Notturno. I couldn't find out if they actually were released commercially. I have no performers for No 3 but according to P2 No 6 was recorded in 1977 by the Helsingborg Quartet.

britishcomposer

And many thanks for the link! (Have long been trying to find a comm. rec. of the Piano Quintet by Sigurd von Koch and it was released by Phono Suecia! :D)

eschiss1

I think those were both Swedish Radio recordings but - hrm. Searching for Lindblad and stråkkvartett ...
his 4th in B minor was broadcast in 1987... (names of performers given, can find again)
the Yggrasil-Quartet performed his 3rd quartet in a performance broadcast in 1997 (recorded? 1997-03-26 - might be the recording you have - about 40 minutes long, 22:30-23:10 is the slot it fit in, anyway) -

an Orebro-quartet recording of his 6th quartet was broadcast in 1997 -
a Helsingborgs-String Quartet recording of no.6 "Inspelat" (recorded in) 1977 (first broadcast in 1982, I think) was broadcast (maybe a dozen times?) too. Fairly sure it's a radio recording and not a commercial one, however. (A websearch "adolf lindblad "Helsingborgs stråkkvartett" 1977" outside of the database shows the information "Inspelat i K7 Malmö 14/11 1977.", confirming this I think... well- not entirely confirming it, since many a commercial recording- I think of cpo's Pettersson 2/symphonic movement- is recorded in conjunction with radio stations :) . indeed BBC has broadcast some concerts that have later turned up on cpo, Chandos or Hyperion discs, as have other stations... it does seem to me a good arrangement. Anyway. Must dash, twice-dottily as usual. Sorry.)

britishcomposer

Ah, thank you! :D
Yes, I seem to remember about the Yggrdasils being mentioned in connection with the 3rd Q. My recording takes about 36 min.

eschiss1

BC - re Hylén quartet - thank you very much!
The parts are indeed at http://imslp.org/wiki/String_Quartet_(Hyl%C3%A9n,_Oscar) (sorry about the diacritics)- this is from the edition published by Hirsch of Stockholm (not sure if it's the first edition. Also available at Sibley.)

eschiss1

Re Geijer quartet - thanks again!! ca.1979 recording I think , 1847 quartet...

eschiss1

Moving discussion of Heintze's concerto here as we seem to have determined that Gustaf (Hjalmar - middle name?) Heintze (1879-1946) was probably Swedish- two sources list his concerto for two pianos as being in A minor, not E minor- will listen and check though... (according to one of them, Hinson, he wrote at least the following- two piano concertos, in F minor and E minor, a concertstück in F-sharp minor, and the 2-piano concerto in A minor. Hinson estimates the 2-piano concerto at 25 minutes. )

Swedish Radio has also broadcast by him:
#a fantasy for cello and orchestra (Maria Mircheva. Helsingborgs symfoniorkester. Dirigent: Claude Génetay, in 1979)
#A piano trio in B minor (opus 17) ( Lucia Negro, piano, Nils-Erik Sparf, violin, och Lars Frykholm, violoncell.) (broadcast 1981)
#Piano Trio op.16? (Smetana trio)
#A piano suite
#An organ fantasia (8'50". 1932. Recorded 1984.)
#Briefer works

Ah. http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_Hjalmar_Heintze

eschiss1

From http://www.operas.com.ar/Music-Encyclopedia/36507/Heintze,-Gustaf-(Hjalmar).htm on Heintze- also three piano quintets, 2 violin concertos, operas?, other works. Neat...