American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Got in a chance to hear the Whithorne symphonic poem and poem for piano and orch. Sound to the side of course, much pleased especially by the inventive and intriguing piano work. Thanks!

albion

As we are not exactly deluged by recordings of his music, I have uploaded yesterday's broadcast of

Horatio Parker (1863-1919) - Organ Concerto, Op.55 (1902)

:)

Dundonnell

Conducted by Nicholas Braithwaite, no less :)

I had wondered what had become of a conductor who recorded a lot of good British music for Lyrita a long time ago.

Alan Howe

Dundonnell

Thank you, Alan :)  I had not been able to access that link.

Any record labels looking for a conductor to record some more British music ??? ;D

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much Shamokin for Kelly's Piano Quintet - a real rarity. Unfortunately your upload of his Gulliver Symphony seems instead to be a six minute long piece of music for violin and piano! As the performance of the Symphony is by different players to mine (Hanson and the Eastmann Rochester Orchestra in very poor sound) I was really looking forward to it!

Lionel Harrsion

According to the sources I have examined, Edgar Stillman's surname is actually Kelley; this information may avoid fruitless searches under 'Kelly'. I just downloaded the score of the piano quintet from IMSLP and on the title page his name is shown as Edgar Stillman-Kelley but whether the hyphen (like Coleridge-Taylor's) was a professional acquisition I don't know.

Lionel Harrsion

I am forgetting my manners!  Thanks very much, Shamokin, for the Kelley Piano Quintet - downloading as I type!

Mark Thomas

It's quite a big, confident  piece and thoroughly romantic in its idiom. Thanks very much Shamokin. I see that 1907 is the publication date but IMSLP gives the composition dates as 1898-1901. The movements, by the way, are:
I. Allegro risoluto
II. Lento sostenuto e misterioso
III. Allegretto scherzando
IV. Moderato molto — Allegro

shamokin88

The Gulliver Symphony.

This particular glitch has happened before which is to say I upload piece A, confident that I am uploading piece A but it turns out when someone else downloads it it has turned into piece X. So here I am doing it once more.

As it is I'm increasingly sure that the two performances are the same performances. Well, we'll see. I think it may be all right now.

Is there an unattached piece for violin and piano rattling around loose inside MediaFire that has three times attached itself to one of my uploads? Can such things happen?

Mark Thomas

It seems fine now, thanks. As for the phantom Violin Sonata haunting MediaFire, I can't imagine how it could happen.

Mark Thomas

The Gulliver Symphony's movements, according to the library record at the Fleischer Collection in Philadelphia are:
I. Lento - Allegretto tranquillo
II. Lento rubato
III. Allegro agitato
IV. Allegro
I had always assumed that there was some extra-musical movement description too, but an internet search reveals nothing.

eschiss1

Latvian: I think Roger Sessions still counts as unsung (though not Romantic) and Seiji Ozawa has made, as I recall, two fine recordings of major works of his (his Whitman Requiem - When Lilacs (on New World?) - and his Concerto for Orchestra. (Hyperion)) :) Looking forward to hearing the Converse of course though (I hope Converse did not have to hear many Inversely Contrapositive jokes from mathematicians and ex-mathematicians like me thinking they were funny, but that's another.)

(Also Ozawa conducting Lieberson's piano concertos. Worldcat is a bit broken- or hacked- and turns up the wrong info here, a book where a CD is promised, and not of music either...)

eschiss1

Violin sonata- ah, I noticed that when I downloaded one of the two Clapp 9th symphonies, I wondered what had happened. Downloading the work again cured the problem.  But I am now very curious what piece, by whom, which one, the violin sonata -is- - did someone say they recognized it? :)

Dundonnell

shamokin...

The second and third links for the Harberg Viola Concerto are the same. Presumably, if it it a three movement work, there should be a third but different link ???