American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

shamokin88

Once more unto the breach. I've replaced Tales of Our Countryside for the third time. Please let me know if it works this time. Best from Shamokin88.

eschiss1

The movements of the E. Burlingame Hill symphony are Allegro moderato, ma risoluto - Moderato maestoso -- Allegro brioso .
Whithorne's Poem for piano and orch. was published in 1928 by Fischer, and The Dream pedlar (Free Library's spelling differs) was published in 1933 by Cos Cob Press.

Amphissa

The audio quality of the Whithorne music is really quite bad. This is not due to problems when digitizing. It is the poor quality of the originals.

I am going to upload some alternative digital versions of these works. The same recordings, but they've been cleaned up slightly. As a result, the audio quality remains far from good. But I do think a little better. I put them all in one zip file.

semloh

The cassette player I hooked up to the computer has stopped working, so I've finally replaced it with the record player! I have the 14 LP (!) double boxed set issued by the Louisville Orchestra, cond. Robert Whitney in 1960, in glorious mono., and carried all the way back to Oz from Seattle in my cabin luggage about 17 years ago.

I've checked the web, inc. the Albany reissues of the Louisville, and I don't think any of this set has been reissued, and so I can gradually upload it if anyone is interested.
See: http://www.worldcat.org/title/louisville-orchestra-first-edition-records/oclc/84970131

I can begin with Mennin's 5th and 6th symphonies.

Anyone interested?

eschiss1

Hrm. Some Louisville recordings have been reissued in a CD series but if those weren't among them, happy to. (I have the newer Albany CD of syms. 5 and 6 conducted by David Alan Miller which is good.) (Grace Whitney? Not Robert? Interesting...)

Er, hold up.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/peter-mennin/oclc/53620805&referer=brief_results
This -was- reissued, in 2003, on First Edition Music FECD-0013 - symphonies 5 and 6 and the cello concerto.
Worldcat doesn't specify in the link that these are symphonies 5 and 6, but click on the bottom library link  (Columbia Universities Libraries) and there it is.
(I thought "Grace Whitney" in the other Worldcat link looked wrong, and that was.)

semloh

Yes, thanks for the warning about the Mennin. Obviously, I need to be more careful.
There's also a list of reissues at the Naxos site:
http://www.naxos.com/labels/first_edition-cd.htm
...but hopefully there will still be some pieces I can upload. I will certainly check every item as thoroughly as I can beforehand. We can only do our best.
Anyway, I'm afraid the Mennin is off the menu!  :(

Mark Thomas

I for one would be very interested in hearing the Gilchrist, Jerry. Thanks very much in advance.

britishcomposer

Oh yes, the man is completely new to me!

jerfilm

Forgot to put the link in.  It's there now.

J

Something strange going on.  My file folder at Mediafire is now EMPTY.  Will have to redo the whole upload and will put it in the proper download thread.  Sorry for the inconvenience

Amphissa

Sorry, but the Gilchrist link is not working for me. It redirects to the Mediafire homepage. ???

And maybe the download should be put in the download folder, rather than here in the Discussion folder?

shamokin88

Shamokin88 here about the Gilchrist 1st symphony. He was a Philadelphia composer. He composed another symphony. I knew his great grandson slightly, a local photographer. The family knew he was a composer but had never heard any of his music - this was about fifty years ago.

eschiss1

Hrm. William Wallace Gilchrist (1846-1916) - http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Gilchrist,_William_Wallace - works catalogued by "Schleifer numbers" (most of them, not all) - I wonder if the symphony has one, and if we at IMSLP will be able to find a score or reduction or parts or more than one to upload- I like being able to follow with score ;)

Mark Thomas

Thanks very much for the Gilchrist, Jerry. The Fleisher collection in Philadelphia has the score and parts of both symphonies as well as several others of his works. The movements of the Symphony No.1 in C (premiered in Philadelphia in 1901) are:

I. Introduction: Vivace - Impetuoso
II. Adagio
II. Scherzo: Vivace
IV. Finale: Molto Allegro

Entertaining, if hardly great, music. There's a brief Gilchrist biography here.

Eric, Martha Furman Schleifer has written the book "William Wallace Gilchrist, 1846-1916: A Moving Force in the Musical Life of Philadelphia", presumably that's the source of  IMSLP's Schleifer numbers.

eschiss1

Yes- one of us needs to explain this somewhere on the page as it was explained to me - while only a few editors at most have access to the Schleifer catalog in full, it's fortunately easy enough to move a page if a page is created when they're not available to query (it being preferable to include opus number/cat. number information in a work page title in IMSLP. I have- incidentally- advocated for use of the Padrta numbers -erm, letter-number pairs - in Krommer pages since his opus numbers are a bit ambiguous but they're not well enough known yet and the opus numbers not ambiguous enough to warrant it- I guess! )
Eric

Mark Thomas

You're the IMSLP man, Eric, not me. I'm the Raff man!