American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

I just tried the link to the Gould Symphony  :) :) :) :)
BUT got the invalid link page.... :'( :'(

jerfilm

shamokin88

I've put up a second URL for Gould 1. I'd love to know why uploading is so hit or miss for me but since worse things happen in this world I don't worry myself about it.

Dundonnell

Many thanks for the Gould Symphony No.1 :)

By the time I got to it the links were all working fine ;D

Having only had time so far to listen to snippets of the Harris symphonies I can certainly concur with the general opinion of a pretty sad decline in the quality of music :( What was Harris doing lurching off into such experimentation with odd combinations of forces including speakers?

Still...it is important to be able to hear these works to provide a rounded picture of the composer :)

I know that you still have the Diamond symphonies to upload....and I am reluctant to be any more greedy ;D but do you, by any chance, have any of the three unrecorded symphonies of Vittorio Giannini (Nos. 1, 2 or 5)?

Amphissa

Shamokin, here is the link creating process that works for me. (Sorry if this seems simplistic. I don't know what procedure you have used up to now.)

Have the Unsung Composers editing box open in one browser window. Write your description of the work you are posting.

In a separate browser window, have Mediafire running. Upload the file to Mediafire.

When the file has completed uploading, you should see "Copy Link" in the upload manager box. Click that. It will inform you that the URL has been copied to the clipboard.

Switch to the Unsung Composers browser window and right click the spot in the editing box you want to add the link. In the menu that pops up, click Paste.

Then highlight the URL and click the icon for Hyperlink.

Mark Thomas

Yup, that's the way to do it!

shamokin88

Re: Vittorio Giannini, I have symphonies 2 and 5, clearly labeled as such and two possible entries for a number one sweepstake - a symphony "In Memory of Theodore Roosevelt" from 1935 [Eastman-Rochester SO/Hanson 30 April 1936] and a brief "IBM Symphony" from 1939 [CBS SO/Giannini]. I do not know if either or both bear a number.

On another matter I will check carefully as to the sequential order involved in uploading files. It may be that I am doing something out of sequence without being aware of it. Thank for the advice.

semloh

Perhaps these exchanges on how best to upload files could go in the Technical Questions and Answers folder? I think I'll need them, down the track, and they'll be easier to locate there! :)

Dundonnell

It is great that you have the Giannini Second and Fifth :)

The "In Memory of Theodore Roosevelt"(1935)  and "IBM"(1937) Symphonies actually predate his Symphony No.1 which is from 1950 and was called 'Sinfonia'.

All gratefully received however ;D ;D

shamokin88

I have not forgotten David Diamond 7, 9 and 10 but I am going to have to borrow 10 from a friend this weekend. The four movements play perfectly well on my CD players but for some reason neither of my MACs will play or copy the short scherzo. I should be able to oblige in several days.

Dundonnell

Quote from: shamokin88 on Thursday 20 October 2011, 20:11
I have not forgotten David Diamond 7, 9 and 10 but I am going to have to borrow 10 from a friend this weekend. The four movements play perfectly well on my CD players but for some reason neither of my MACs will play or copy the short scherzo. I should be able to oblige in several days.

Thank you for your efforts on these pieces :)

eschiss1

Ok, any unreleased-on-LP/CD broadcasts of Richard Yardumian? Among, I think, the first 20th-century American composers I found I rather liked (an important moment in a listener's for-want-of-a-better-word "evolution"). At around the same time as I first heard the (far better!!) Carl A. Nielsen... (same century sort of, different generation and country)

eschiss1

Apparently Vincent wrote (at least) 2 symphonies and the first (A Festival Piece in One Movement) was recorded twice (by Whitney and by Ormandy- the latter recording now available on CD. Anyone know of even broadcast performances/recordings of no.2? :) )

shamokin88

Yardumian! When I began going regularly with my grandparents to Philadelphia Orchestra Friday afternoon concerts circa 1955 Yardumian was often in the parquet circle box to the left of us, and I had many occasions to talk with him. I have a broadcast of the premiere of his piano concerto Passacaglia, Recitative & Fugue , Ormandy and John Pennick, and a live performance [Concerto Soloists of Philadelphia] from 1994 of the Cantus Animae et Cordis. I have the contents of two Columbia LPs, ML 4991 and ML 5862, the earlier one with the original version of the Violin Concerto and the later with the much expanded revised version. I have as well an RCA LP with a mass but don't have the Columbia with the second symphony.

He was a deeply religious man and his Swedenborgian faith informed much of his music.

As for Vincent Ormandy's recording reflects some minor changes in the score from the Louisville, mostly in having a longer introduction and a fuller ending. I've got the second symphony which is no more than an expansion for piano and strings of his Consort for piano quintet, which I have as well. Can supply both string quartets and a suite from his ballet Three Jacks.

Sometimes I feel a little doubtful at writing I have, I have but it seems an efficient way to let people know that these are available.

eschiss1

thanks for the info!
also, about the Mason symphonies-
according to http://www.archive.org/stream/threesymphonieso00kape/threesymphonieso00kape_djvu.txt and similar sources-
(info about symphony 1 in C minor there too)
symphony 2 in A major op30 (1928)-
I. Allegro maestoso - II. Andante sostenuto - III. Vivace scherzando - IV. Lento, largamente
symphony 3 "Lincoln" in Bflat op.35 (1935)
I. Lento serioso "The Candidate"
II. Andante dolente "Massa Linkum"  (not sure about spelling of that, need to recheck, the whole thing's been scanned/optical scanned :) - still, the same spelling occurs four times in the document, so probably right. )
III. Allegro non troppo e pesante "Old Abe's Yarns"
IV. Lento serioso "1865"