American Music

Started by Amphissa, Monday 05 September 2011, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I have uploaded William Schuman's 'Voyage for Orchestra' of 1972 in a recording of the work's first European performance by the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leonard Slatkin.

To be honest I do not think that it is necessarily one of Schuman's most attractive compositions but it is relatively unknown.

(The recording was not one of my better efforts ;D)

eschiss1

Diamond sym . 7 - 1. Andante ; Allegro ma non troppo -- 2. Andante -- 3. Allegro moderato.
Diamond sym. 10 (1987/2000) - the only library I know of to have this score is the Grawemeyer catalog at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA. (398 pages of ms copy score...) Lists the orchestration (piccolo, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, English horn, piccolo clarinet, 2 clarinets, bass clarinet, 2 bassoons, contrabassoon, 4 horns, piccolo trumpet, 3 trumpets, bass trumpet, 2 trombones, bass trombone, tuba, timpani, 4 percussionists (tenor drum, snare drum, bass drum, large cymbals, large gong, guiro, triangle, glockenspiel, xylophone, tubular bells), organ, piano, harp, violin I, violin II, viola, violoncello, double bass) but not the movement headings.  (Belkin's PDF dissertation on Diamond's symphonies was finished (1995) before the 10th was premiered and does not contain detailed information- it contains some, from discussions with the conductor etc., about symphony 10, as it does about symphonies 9 and 11, but not enough for the purpose :) It does contain interesting analysis of the first eight symphonies and is worth web-searching out - I'd give the URL but there's something in it about free distribution, yes, public posting, no, whose boundaries I don't quite get. :) )
I'm probably the only person wondering why Diamond's 5th symphony lacks movement headings (maybe it has them in the New World CD premiere recording), but the second movement is Andante-Fugue according to Belkin, and the first movement, after a slow introduction, is Allegro energico.

Dundonnell

The Diamond 5th in the New World Recording has two movements:

I: Adagio leading to Allegro energico
II: Andante leading to Fuga followed by Allegretto followed by Adagio

eschiss1

Dundonnell

Many Thanks to Shamokin88 for the uploads of the Diamond 7th and 10th Symphonies :) :)

From my repeated efforts last night to upload the Havergal Brian Symphony No.3 and Opera "Agamemnon"-finally successful at 3.45am :(-I know how much time and effort can go into uploading to Mediafire ;D

shamokin88

There are a few American items that perhaps someone may have. I once had them but they have perhaps migrated south for the winter, but long ago - and stayed.

Contemporary 6003: Andrew Imbrie String Quartets nos.2 & 3
Fantasy 5009: Andrew Imbrie Piano Sonata [there are other works on the disc]
Louisville 611: Alexei Haieff Divertimento
Columbia ML 4988: Alexei Haieff String Quartet [coupled with Barber's Hermit Songs]
Louisville 635: Robert Sanders Little Symphony #1 in G
A CRI mono LP: Ellis Kohs Symphony no.1

And the ultimate elusive broadcast [November 1956] by the Philadelphia Orchestra with Ormandy: the 3rd Symphony by Harl McDonald "The Lamentations of Fu Hsan." This was broadcast on various CBS network stations. I was able to hear it on AM radio from Philadelphia, Charlotte and Atlanta on different nights. McDonald's widow did not have it, and it seems never to have turned up but I somehow imagine there might be copies.

I will be away for about ten days but when I come back I will be posting Americans Robert Palmer and Ross Lee Finney.

Best to all.

eschiss1

Very much enjoy what I've heard by Finney especially. Fortunately some of his music has turned up on CD, some even in new performances, but quite a bit hasn't... (and I remember skimming and hearing a few works by Imbrie in college, I think, a rather good composer from what I've heard who was a Sessions pupil.)

Dundonnell

Once again :)...grateful thanks to Shamokin88 for the Diamond Symphony No.9 and the Sinfonietta :)

eschiss1

I gather the 9th is dedicated to the memory of his friend and advocate Mitropoulos and the texts are ones they both liked, or something along those lines? Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks, yes!

shamokin88

I believe the texts are some of Michelangelo's sonnets.

albion

I've not been following this thread as closely as others and have lost track - please could some kindly soul tell me if there are any recordings of John Knowles Paine, Horatio Parker or George Chadwick included: if not, is there the possibility that some might be forthcoming?

???

eschiss1

have seen a cantata by Paine (his opus 38, published in 1883/revised 1903- both versions are available in vocal score at IMSLP, haven't checked which one is downloadable here)... (though at 14 minutes and given the filename it may just be part of the work- will check.)

Richard Moss

Folks,

Apologies if the information below has already been provided by someone else and I missed it.

I was checking some details on the Daniel Mason symphonies that I (very gratefully) recently downloaded and came across the following movement tempi etc.  There is a link below to a detailed treatise if anyone is really interested!

(for an on-line treatise on these symphonies, see link below)
http://www.archive.org/stream/threesymphonieso00kape#page/47/mode/1up

SYMPHONY NO.1 C MIN (OP.11, 1913, REV. 1922)
  Eastman Rochester Orchestra, cond. Howard Hanson
I.   Largo sostenuto
II.   Larghetto tranquillo
III.   Allegro molto marcato

SYMPHONY NO.2 A MAJ (OP. 30, 1928)
New York Philharmonic Orch., cond. Bruno Walter
I.   Allegro maesatoso
II.   Andante sostenuto
III.   Vivace scherzando
IV.   Lento, largamente

SYMPHONY NO.3 B-FLAT MAJ 'LINCOLN' (OP. 35, 1935)
New York Philharmonic Orch., cond. John Barbirolli
I.   Lento serioso 'The Candidate from Springfield'
II.   Andante dolente 'Masssa Linkum'
III.   Allegro non troppo e pesante 'Old Abe's Yarns'
IV.   Lento serioso '1865'

Once again, many and sincere thanks to all contributors for their many wonderful uploads (and my downloads!) made available.  Please keep up the good work.  Victorian era concerti especially welcome!

Best wishes

Richard

Dundonnell

Having started the thread on Peter Mennin I am absolutely delighted to have had so many responses and now so many performances of his music available for download-thanks to Atushi, Latvian and Amphissa :)

I am afraid though that the link to Mennin's Fantasia for Strings does not seem to be working :(

Amphissa