Great Unsung Third Symphonies

Started by Paul Barasi, Tuesday 25 August 2009, 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

The question that I have has to do with the Helios recording of Raff's 'Im Walde' is where is it lacking?
Tom :)

FBerwald

Glazunov - Symphony No 3.

This is a transition work that shows Glazunov moving away from his early period yet somewhat in the shadow of his beloved Borodin. The Symphony opens and expands in a very leisurely pace [Not one of the only reasons why it is called his most Tchaikowskian of symphonies]. The Scherzo is a grandiose affair that takes you to a ballet. All in all I think this is a great No. 3. even looks forward to the bewitching 4th Symphony. .... But then again I am a sucker for Glazunov's music.

jerfilm

Has anyone mentioned the magnificent Symphony #3 in E for soli, chorus and orchestra by Joseph Guy Rpoartz?

My favorite of his - sorry I have not listened to it in a very long time and it's packed away in one of a couple hundred boxes involved in our moving from MN to WI. 

Jerry

eschiss1

A "This Topic" search on "Ropartz" shows him turning up (anew, not in response to earlier mentions) again and again and again, so - yep! :) (I have one of the two recordings - the Plasson, not the more recent one from the complete cycle- but still haven't heard it, I think; will have to do something about that...) (Edit: I guess I have heard it once, if I said I did here a few years ago. Now slightly remember having done...)

(Looking through back-suggestions I'm inclined, having re-listened a few times since, to upgrade Enesco 3, if only from "rather good" (the adjective I used last time") to "stunning"... I really am going to have to go interloan a copy of Bentoiu's book on the composer, whose music is becoming more and more fascinating)

Alan Howe

Quotethe Helios recording of Raff's 'Im Walde' is where is it lacking?

Compare the orchestral response in either d'Avalos' or Stadlmair's recordings. The former, in particular, features the Philharmonia Orchestra which has a depth and range of sound which no other recorded performance can match.

adriano

Ropartz is great, those excellent Timpani CDs should be reissued in the form of a complete box! But the Third Symphony under Plasson is also a splendid recording!

sdtom

Quote from: FBerwald on Saturday 23 May 2015, 13:30
Glazunov - Symphony No 3.

This is a transition work that shows Glazunov moving away from his early period yet somewhat in the shadow of his beloved Borodin. The Symphony opens and expands in a very leisurely pace [Not one of the only reasons why it is called his most Tchaikowskian of symphonies]. The Scherzo is a grandiose affair that takes you to a ballet. All in all I think this is a great No. 3. even looks forward to the bewitching 4th Symphony. .... But then again I am a sucker for Glazunov's music.

As am I.
Tom :)