News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reuss

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 12 June 2011, 01:46

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

the only Reuss work in the other topic for which IMSLP has music, btw, is the string quintet op.4, and from that I see that its movements are
I- Allegro moderato
II- Scherzo: Vivace assai
III- Andante con moto
IV- Allegro non assai

Will see if I can find out anything about the other works though (from eg contemporary reviews or whatnot.)

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this Eric. I'm not sure quite how much of his music was published

eschiss1

judging from HMB, Worldcat and similar sources, a reasonable amount, and some is getting republished I notice. He seems? to have mostly been published by Simrock, Schmidl, Senff, Carl Giessel, and other major publishers - but it's possible that not all of their stocks survived WW2. 

Oh. Silly me...
Symphony no.3 op28 in E minor, pub by Giessel (ca? ©?) 1907, according to Free Library of Philadelphia Catalog. 3 movements in all.

1. Poco adagio -- 2. Andante un poco sostenuto -- 3. Allegro vivace.
(first movement tempo indication probably just means introduction is a poco adagio, but might mean whole movement is...)
instrumentation: 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timpani, strings.

Mark Thomas

Thanks once again, Eric. So the two movements of the Symphony which I've uploaded are actually two thirds of the work, then? Not a very substantial piece it would seem as from memory (I'm not at home at present) neither of the two are that long.

eschiss1

hrm. this is always assuming they are, as advertised, the e minor symphony of Reuss ... will download them presently and check that one of them has E minor as a main tonality, anyway... am assuming that he was at the time less tonally progressive than Mahler (like most composers of the era.)

(the opening half or so of the string quintet first movement- will listen to the whole piece and the other one of the quartets I downloaded, will also download the G minor, soon- is very, very nicely played by the unknown group, kudos to them. hope that one of these unknown performances - in one of these folders - is announced on whatever radio station again and that someone in that area can time it movement by movement as applicable, confirm it is the same performance, and attach an ensemble name to the etc. ... well, my iTunes and some mildly obsessive component of my disorders ;) will be thankful, anyway.  Though some of these stations can't list their schedules so far ahead anymore because of copyright laws I gather (in the USA this is apparently the case, though some stations seem to ignore this just as much as others use it as a reason not to list their... eh, just as confusing -as- copyright law itself, when... ok, that is overstating it, almost nothing is as confusing as copyright law.)

Mark Thomas

Apologies and thanks are due to Mathias (britishcomposer), who has uploaded a radio recording of a Piano Trio by Prinz Reuss to the to Downloads board in this section. By mistake I deleted his post in an earlier Reuss thread announcing the upload. So, my apologies for that and my thanks for the upload.

Anybody know the movement titles of the trio?

eschiss1

1. Allegro ma non troppo 2. Molto adagio 3. Minuetto (Allegro energico) 4. Rondo (Allegretto grazioso). source: Description at OCLC of the Wollenweber 1985 edition.

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

*mentally passes the thanks on to the Dutch library, or specifically catalog, that provided the information ;^) yay for thoughtful librarians, of course! will download it soon, looking forward to it.*

khorovod

Thank you to those who have shared this music, I am downloading it now and very much looking forward to hearing it. I will report back my impressions!  :)

khorovod

Oh, I see what you mean about the symphony movements, not very interesting at all! Left me feeling  ??? I have listened to the quintet too and I liked that more but as you say very old fashioned and unoriginal...

eschiss1

interestingly, the Reuss quintet has been recorded, if I understand right - see here. I wonder if the broadcast was of the same performers or even of the recording perhaps? Could be unconnected though. (No performers known from page- maybe if the movement timings of the Paracelsus CD can be found out and compared, or someone can hear their CD and compare it.)

eschiss1

symphony 3- going to listen to it soon- wondering if it's possible that the 2 tracks cover all three movements (1. Poco adagio -- 2. Andante un poco sostenuto -- 3. Allegro vivace.) (with one track covering two movements and the other covering - perhaps - the finale) instead of just 2 of the 3 movements or something like that...
hrm. unfortunately, score not available yet in digital form, but maybe will visit the Free Library of Philadelphia which has the full score one-these-days and have a look :) (I don't doubt I'll find the symphony movements uninteresting relatively speaking too - I do like the early quintet though - and hope I do like say the late symphonies e.g. no.6 and other such works better if and when someone gives them a whirl. Maybe, maybe not. Still, glad someone(s!) has converted a name I was and have been for awhile curious about, into sound; the better to choose for oneself of course :) :) anyhow. again, thanks I say again and mean, again.)
Eric