A Hollywood Unsung

Started by mbhaub, Wednesday 26 August 2009, 05:07

Previous topic - Next topic

mbhaub

I read a great book this week, A Windfall of Musicians by Dorothy Crawford. It's about musicians who fled Germany/Austria and wound up in the Los Angeles area. Fascinating reading, and some interesting trivia, too. For example, Arnold Schoenberg's house is just down the street from OJ Simpsons. Who knew? But she also mentions some students of Mario Castelnuovo-Tesdesco. One of them is the long-time actor Mickey Rooney! Who would have thunk? Most interesting, Rooney wrote a symphony of all things. Now that could be worth hearing! The author doesn't say anything about it or even if it was ever played.

Kevin Pearson

I run a social network for fans of classic movies called The Golden Age of Hollywood. This sounds like something I would really be interested in reading. It's amazing how many great composers fled Germany and other areas and settled in Hollywood to make a living doing what they loved to do...i.e. compose. Korngold, Steiner, Hermann and others.

That's a very interesting fact about Mickey Rooney. Who would have thought!  :o

Kevin

Pengelli

Did Robert Mitchum write any?!!!

JimL

Maybe when he was behind bars!

Pengelli

mbhaub

Hannibal Lecter did! I remember an interview with Sir Anthony Hopkins and he said he enjoys writing music.

sdtom

I believe that one of Mario's pupils who went on to a successful career in Hollywood was Jerry Goldsmith.

Pengelli

Of course there is the Seven Stars Symphony by Charles
Koechlin. He kept pestering one of them with letters.

dafrieze

A few years ago, I recall, Naxos was going to record the symphony of Lionel Barrymore.

And then there's Red Skelton:

"The compositions of Red Skelton measure 8,000 songs and 64 symphonies. He conducted and composed for numerous albums as well as having his selections performed by the likes of Arthur Fiedler, the London Philharmonic and Van Clyburn.  Many of his compositions were purchased by Muzak as easy listening pieces for offices and elevators."

This is according to his website, which also has a couple of (abysmally played) recordings:  http://www.redskelton.com/Composer.htm

edurban

"...It's amazing how many great composers fled Germany and other areas and settled in Hollywood to make a living doing what they loved to do...i.e. compose. Korngold, Steiner, Hermann, and others..."

Of course, Hermann only "fled" NYC.  And I believe he maintained a residence here over on the East Side.

David

giles.enders

dafreze mentions Lionel Barrymore's symphony.  He wrote a piano concerto in 1940, though I have no idea if it was ever performed.
Very few of these "Hollywood Composers" did their own orchestrations and credit is rarely given to those half forgotten orchestrators.

chill319

I'm with you on the orchestrators, Giles. So often most of the interest lies in their contributions.

One Hollywood unsung whose scores -- particularly from the latter half of the 1940s -- vie in quality with the best of Rosza's is Roy Webb.

giles.enders

During the thirties, forties and fifties there was a Hollywood film 'sound' which has often been attributed to Korngold.  I believe that Sergei Lyapunov's Polonaise Op. 16 of 1902 got there first.

eschiss1

Quote from: giles.enders on Monday 31 January 2011, 13:12
During the thirties, forties and fifties there was a Hollywood film 'sound' which has often been attributed to Korngold.  I believe that Sergei Lyapunov's Polonaise Op. 16 of 1902 got there first.

I try to be so very wary of claims of 'first's ;) ... er... well, until I have anything to the contrary...

giles.enders

Perhaps I should have said 'before those I have mentioned'