BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

French Music

Started by Sicmu, Saturday 10 September 2011, 17:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Amphissa, for the Gouvy Fourth.

eschiss1

Agreed. Hrm. According to Fétis, premiered 1856 at Gurzenich. Load.cd claims to have a reduction of the 2-piano reduction of op.25 for sale that for once isn't just something they stole from some other, free, site, near as I can tell, but without buying that or visiting a library that has the work (Munich, one in California, etc.), no idea right now what the movement headings are...

eschiss1

Reading that cpo is planning to release 1 and 2 but listening to 4, I wish they'd left the already-recorded 2 off to the last volume and went with 1 or 7 and 4- which is making a terrific impression (on me). Very strong material strongly, cleverly and originally (well, twistily) argued, my favorite kind of opening movement ;^)

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 10 October 2011, 15:37
Re Gédalge - the symphony no.3 (in F, not D minor) is at IMSLP, which should help with the movement titles problem. See http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3_(G%C3%A9dalge,_Andr%C3%A9). Glad to have this and the concerto (also uploaded at IMSLP) to hear! (Though your movement titles for the concerto are quite different from "ours" (those at IMSLP) - which are
Moderato maestoso
Andante
Allegro poco a poco accelerando. )

Hi Eric, I think you IMSLP folk are right - the movement titles didn't sound 'right' for Gedalge, who invariably applies Italian descriptions in his orchestral work. I got them from a library catalogue, but they may be a mix-up with some other French concerto (although I wouldn't know whose).

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 16 October 2011, 14:06
Boëllmann symphony:
(I) don't know - (II) Intermède variée - (III) Recitative (Andante) - (IV) Presto

Will try to find out (I). Premiered Feb.24 1895 Paris, Lamoureux concerts; English premiere December 1 1897 Queen's Hall Orchestra London conducted by Lamoureux (and from a report on the English premiere the above information is taken- Musical Times, January 1 1898, p26.) Have wanted to see the score or hear the symphony or both for awhile now, thank you.

Hi Eric, Mark,
The first movement of the Boëllman is simply Allegro, according to Swedish Radio, who are doubtlessly right. However, they give the final movement as 'Récitation et finale', which to me also sounds more right than 'Presto'.

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Silvestri's performance of Koechlin 2 was according to CADENSA the first British performance and was broadcast November 27 1967.
I found my unidentified performance of the same work (either or both of which may lack the 4th movement fugue which, according to Orledge, is often omitted in performance- that might be why there only seem to be 4 movements...) and have uploaded it; if despite the lack of identification it passes muster (I will try to find some id-- does anyone anywhere know the timings of the movements of the few other performances it's had? Shot-in-the-dark question I know. Silvestri takes 5 minutes or so more time over the opening fugue than does the mystery conductor on the tape/now CD that I have (cuts?) - so there's something other than statistical error for identification purposes -there-!... )

eschiss1

Loucheur- will look for more details- Salabert-Durand-Eschig website does give orchestration and dates (of composition, which differ - 1932, 1944, 1975 - the date of publication of symphony 2 was 1958 so I'm guessing these are the dates of composition, not of publication, leaving aside the revision date of symphony 1 :) ) Thanks! (Other works listed there seem interesting- trumpet concerto and concertino, and as with Cools, another work called Hop-Frog...)

lechner1110

Latvian, Thanks to upload Loucheur symphonies. Especially, I like second symphony.  These are very rare recordings!

Latvian

QuoteLoucheur-... (Other works listed there seem interesting- trumpet concerto and concertino, and as with Cools, another work called Hop-Frog...)

Other works of Loucheur's are indeed excellent. I'll upload more as time permits.

You're welcome, A.S. -- I know you were looking for these.

Dundonnell

I have uploaded an old LP version of Maurice Emannuel's Symphony No.2 "Bretonne"(1933).

eschiss1

Thanks!!
General point -
have seen "ORTF ( ) orchestra" before but isn't the "O" orchestra (as in, French Radio-Television Orchestra - ORTF)? I may be mistaken and probably am...

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 04:49
Thanks!!
General point -
have seen "ORTF ( ) orchestra" before but isn't the "O" orchestra (as in, French Radio-Television Orchestra - ORTF)? I may be mistaken and probably am...
Orchestre de la Radio et Television Français.

Dundonnell

I have uploaded the two Dutilleux symphonies in radio broadcasts conducted by French conductors-Georges Tzipine and Jean Fournet respectively.

Ilja

Quote from: JimL on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 06:27
Quote from: eschiss1 on Wednesday 30 November 2011, 04:49
Thanks!!
General point -
Orchestre de la Radio et Television Français.

Sorry Jim, 'ORTF' stands for Office de Radiodiffusion Télévision Française, so ORTF Orchestra is quite correct.