CDs that stay in the box!

Started by Pengelli, Wednesday 26 August 2009, 17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

I bought these cds after reading  reviews &
found them all crashing disappointments:
Ernst Boehe: Vols 1 & 2 cpo
(Made me realise just how good Holbrooke is)
Richard Wetz: symphonies 1-3 cpo
(Bruckner?Don't make me laugh!) 
York bowen: Symphony No 2,etc Classico
(One theme sounds like,Fry's Turkish Delight!)
Stanford: Songs of the Fleet,etc Chandos
(Maybe Luxon would do them better)
Villa Lobos: Symphony No 10 & Choros No 11
(They don't half meander!)
Bantock Thalaba the Destroyer Hyperion
(Great title. I normally like Bantock)
Parry: The Souls Ransom,etc Chandos 2 cds
(Ruined,for me, by one simply terrible singer)
Villa Lobos may be too 'modern' for this forum!

Pengelli

Oops! Wrong board. My apologies for this.

Gareth Vaughan

I'm afraid Boehe is a bit of a bore - so is Wetz. I'm surprised you don't like York Bowen though. Parry certainly had his off days - I don't know 'The Soul's Ransom' but some of the choral music can be a bit pedestrian. Villa-Lobos is prone to rambling and was not as good a composer as he thought he was (IMHO). I like Thalaba and Songs of the Fleet, though.

Mark Thomas

Songs of the Fleet get a big thumbs up form me too, but then I'm a Stanford groupie. My vote for the box that's gathering dust? Someone here's not going to like this, I know, but it's the complete Miaskovsky symphonies from Svetlanov on Warner.

JimL

I'm not so sure you-know-who would disagree with you about Svetlanov's Myaskovsky, Mark.  Surely the music may be due for a reappraisal, but I think even Amphissa would admit that Svetlanov's set is a rather hit-and-miss proposition.  I'm sure that a more modern traversal is overdue.

Pengelli

I had the Uncorn LP of his 21st & I was impressed by it,
but not by anything else,so far.

Pengelli

It deserves a reissue. Loved the Kabalevsky 2nd it was
coupled with (tut! tut!),and now have the cpo box set.

Amphissa

OH NO! Someone said something unkind about Myaskovsky!

Jim is right. I am grateful to Svetlanov for his effort, especially recording the symphonies that had not been recorded before. But although his heart was in the right place, his musical decision making was often awry. Of the symphonies that had been recorded by others as well as Svetlanov, I cannot think of a single one that I would choose the Svetlanov recording as the best. And some of them, like the 6th, are just embarrassingly poor.

But then, I've sought out all the recordings, most of which are on Melodiya LPs, and have a good turntable rig to play them. Most people do not have that luxury. Svetlanov is the only option for most people.

That said, even Svetlanov's recordings can serve adequately for many of the symphonies. But Myaskovsky is not one of those composers who just slaps you down from the first listen. He's one of those composers who takes awhile to warm up to. He has his own unique voice. Very different from anyone else.

Not everyone likes every composer's music. That's fine. I don't take it personally.

I like Myaskovsky.

I loathe Prokofiev !!!

;D

mbhaub

Yes, sadly many of the disks Pengelli mentions are boring. But was there any composer who hit the mark 100% of the time? Then, if Wetz's best work is on cd and it's dull, how boring is the rest of his output? I wrote on some other thread that some of the cpo disks are getting dull, predictable and uninteresting. I'll still keep buying because I just know that the undiscovered masterpiece of all time is just waiting to get out there.

There are just some of the "masterworks" that I just find deadly boring. Such as, any opera by Mozart. Brahms double concerto. Schubert 9th. Beethoven Missa Solemnis and Christ on the Mount of Olives. Handel, yes the Messiah. Sibelius Nightride and Sunrise. Bach: mass in B minor, and much more.

Miaskovsky is a strange case. I can appreciate the technical skill he brings to his vast symphonic legacy, but there isn't much there that moves me or thrills me in any way. It's too tame or something. The humanity is missing, thank you Mr. Stalin. HIs violin concerto is great, and I like symphonies 6, 19,& 21. Maybe I need to listen to them more often. I wouldn't count on ever getting a newer cycle.

sdtom

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Wednesday 26 August 2009, 21:57
Songs of the Fleet get a big thumbs up form me too, but then I'm a Stanford groupie. My vote for the box that's gathering dust? Someone here's not going to like this, I know, but it's the complete Miaskovsky symphonies from Svetlanov on Warner.

We'll agree to disagree but I will say mine has gathered no dust.

JimL

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 27 August 2009, 00:36Miaskovsky is a strange case. I can appreciate the technical skill he brings to his vast symphonic legacy, but there isn't much there that moves me or thrills me in any way. It's too tame or something. The humanity is missing, thank you Mr. Stalin. HIs violin concerto is great, and I like symphonies 6, 19,& 21. Maybe I need to listen to them more often. I wouldn't count on ever getting a newer cycle.
Myself, I wouldn't do without the 5th, 15th and 27th.  Different strokes and all that.

Pengelli

Parts of Wetz 3 sounds strangely like the William Wallace
'Creation Symphony',which also stays in the box.

Pengelli

Stanfords Irish rhapsodies are rather lovely. I think like
Villa Lobos he was better in smaller pieces.

Alan Howe

There is a lot of good Stanford in the larger-scale forms - e.g.  symphonies (even his No.1, virtually unknown, thrills me on account of its breadth) and concertos (PC2 is heart-warming).

Ilja

For some reason I tend to remember either the magnificent or the truly awful - but not drab mediocrity until I play it again and remember why I didn't make it to the end last time.

Some things I would put in this category are Eugen d'Albert's Symphony, the Burgmüller Symphonies, almost anything by Diepenbrock, the Malipiero piano concertos and Mendelssohn's string symphonies. All pieces I that failed to meet my expectations (they're not bad pieces in themselves, of course). And while I have my problems with, for instance, Nielsen and Martinu, I can see the point and enjoy them on a more cerebral level.

On the other hand, there are some pieces which I recognise as being slightly trashy but which I enjoy tremendously - such as Stavenhagen's First Piano Concerto or Carlo Giorgi Garofalo's Romantic Symphony.