Gernsheim on Toccata!

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 26 August 2009, 20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

It can now be revealed that Toccata Classics will shortly be bringing out the two Piano Quintets of Friedrich Gernsheim...

http://www.toccataclassics.com/inpreparation.php (scroll down to foot of page)

Mark Thomas

Whoop de do! Plaudits to Martin Anderson and anybody else involved in this much anticipated CD. You know who you are...

Alan Howe

This is going to be quite a revelation, I feel. Fabulous music in the mould of Brahms, but with more abandon in the writing, especially in PQ2.

febnyc

Thanks for the link.

Actually, there are a batch of interesting CDs there - not only Gernsheim.

What is the lag time on these releases, I wonder?  Anyone have an idea?

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Peter1953

What a stunning, warm and delightful chamber music this is. This is how chamber music of the highest calibre should be.

Listen to the samples at http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0099 and you will be convinced...

Definitely a must-buy.

petershott@btinternet.com

I shall be up at the crack of dawn staring at the letter box for I was told on Friday that the Toccata disc is in the post.

Surprised that other enthusiasts for Gernsheim haven't mentioned an Antes disc issued a few years ago of the Arensky Trio performing Piano Trios 1 & 2. And pretty good it is.

Then, very recently released, on Brilliant Classics is a recording of Piano Quartets 1 & 3. Gernsheim on a budget label - the sun peeps out from behind the clouds!

edurban

petershott, I think we're in the same boat...my copy is in the post, too.  I can't wait...

David

Mark Thomas

100% guarantee that neither of you will be disappointed. These are terrific works.

Martin Anderson

Good to see the excitement caused by the Gernsheim Piano Quintets. I have to say (well, I would, wouldn't I?) that they are among the best things I have issued. I have a very simple test for these things. Normally by the time I get a CD out, I have listened to it so often that the last thing I want to do is here it once more. I usually play a sample copy once the stocks come in from the factory to check there are no nasty surprises and then put it away. But the Gernsheim CD I've been playing repeatedly since it arrived, and try as I might, I can't tire of it.  The CD of Dvorák song transcriptions (http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0100) -- released, like the Gernsheim last Monday -- is similarly more-ish.

I have to disappoint Peter, though: we missed the post at the weekend and his CDs went over the counter only today. But they are on the way, promise!

May I remind anyone thinking of acquiring any more than one Toccata Classics CD (warning: commercial plug follows) that joining our Discovery Club is a bit of a no-brainer: the £20 annual membership fee brings you two free CDs of your choice (post free), and subsequent purchases through the Toccata Classics website fall from £13.50 to £8.50. A natural for people in this forum, I'd have thought! (I'll try not to go on about it, honest.)

Russian pianophiles might be interested to know that our March releases includes Vol. 1 of the complete Lyadov piano music. And if anyone here would like to come to the launch of the first CD of David Matthews string quartets on 26 February, it's in the Royal Academy of Music at 6pm. Please come along.

Cheers
Martin

petershott@btinternet.com

Many thanks, Martin! Gosh, I don't think I've ever had before a personal message from the founder of a CD company. I feel most chuffed! And what a company: for Toccata has become very much part of the indispensable furniture of the universe. Decidedly arrogant I know, but speaking on behalf of humanity we're all deeply grateful for the work that you've done. Truly. Each of the Toccata discs I have on my sagging shelves is a gem.

And whilst I don't hesitate to pronounce on behalf of humanity, I must exercise caution and insist I'm not entitled to speak on behalf of this website. However I feel real sure that no member here resents an occasional genteel commercial plug from you. Good news is something to be shared.

Immensely looking forward to your David Matthews release later this month. He's a terrific composer. Several inches of those shelves are already occupied by Matthews, and living close to Aldeburgh I'm most lucky in occasionally hearing Matthews in the flesh. I do hope the orders come piling in!

Kindest best wishes to you - and once again my gratitude.

JimL

Not to be a nag or anything, but surely you must have caught the thread about the Gernsheim Piano Concerto, along with the Violin Concerto and Symphony #2.  Seems like these works are ripe for the picking along the guidelines you've set for your label, Martin.  Just thought I'd plant the seed for a possible project. :)

Alan Howe

The seed, Jim, would need plenty of watering...