Mortelmans' Homeric Symphony

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 26 August 2009, 22:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip Nones

The complete ballet music for "Oriane et le Prince d'amour" was recently issued by Forgotten Records, in a 1956 concert broadcast by the ORTF Orchestra and Chorus under the direction of Pierre Dervaux.  (http://forgottenrecords.com)  This 50+ minute work, which also features a tenor soloist, was the final "orientalist" composition of Schmitt's (it was written in 1931).  The recording is well-worth hearing, even if the orchestra is closely miked and there is some extraneous audience noise. 

There was a commercial recording made of a 20-minute all-orchestral suite from the ballet, on the Cybelia label.  But that CD, which is long out-of-print, didn't do the music any great favors. 

As for whether a new commercial recording of either the suite or the complete ballet is in the offing, don't hold your breath.  I spoke with the head of Timpani Records and asked about this score; he informed me that due to the expense of doing it, there are no plans.  I do know that the American conductor JoAnn Falletta has studied the score -- perhaps she or another one of Florent Schmitt's most ardent enthusiasts (Lionel Bringuier, Stephane Deneve, Yan-Pascal Tortelier, Sascha Goetzel, Leon Botstein ...) might give it a whirl someday.

eschiss1

There's another "Homerische Sinfonie" out there from the middle of the 20th century that seems like it might be intriguing, Theodor Berger's. Its one broadcast recording received an interesting tangential mention in a review @ Musicweb and is available on YouTube... going to have to have a listen sometime...

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Actually, I gather it's not that much different from Franz Schmidt in overall "&c", but in the time-honored tradition of UC sideswipes (the majority of them negative), just thought I'd raise it once and have done.

DennisS

I am very interested in obtaining a copy of the CD of Oriane et le prince d'amour. Thank you Phillip Nones for the information that this work is obtainable from Forgotten Records. I have looked at the Forgotten Records website and also ran a check on the website as well. Do you know how reliable this website is Phillip? Are there any other members on UC who have bought from this supplier? I would appreciate your advice.